Limey to American Dictionary

This is where all the posts that appeared on the old front page (June '04 - January '05) are stored (back when the site was run using IPB Portal).
McGee1405

Post by McGee1405 » 10 Aug 2004 04:54

Urbandicionary.com is a good site. It is there that I have learned the definitions of such words as:

Upper Decker- The act of defecating in the upper tank of the toilet. When the next poor unsuspecting person flushes the toilet they get a bowl of beef stew.

and where i found many synonyms for the word "Shocker":

two in the junk, one in the trunk; two in the snapper, one in the crapper; two in the crack whore, one in the backdoor; two in the bank, one in the stank; two in the soup, one in the poop; two in the hair pie, one in the brown eye; two in the clam, one in the ham; 2 in the beaver, 1 in the cleaver; goin to town with one in the brown.

Observant

Post by Observant » 10 Aug 2004 05:12

McGee1405 wrote: Urbandicionary.com is a good site.  It is there that I have learned the definitions of such words as:

Upper Decker- The act of defecating in the upper tank of the toilet. When the next poor unsuspecting person flushes the toilet they get a bowl of beef stew.

and where i found many synonyms for the word "Shocker":

two in the junk, one in the trunk; two in the snapper, one in the crapper; two in the crack whore, one in the backdoor; two in the bank, one in the stank; two in the soup, one in the poop; two in the hair pie, one in the brown eye; two in the clam, one in the ham; 2 in the beaver, 1 in the cleaver; goin to town with one in the brown.
How could you miss "Two in the pink, one in the stink."

jag

Post by jag » 10 Aug 2004 10:15

cuz thats not an odd definition, its the most standard... *as far as i have known

SirLoin

Post by SirLoin » 10 Aug 2004 12:28

I know some British slang. Picked most of it up from movies and video games.
Here are a few examples:

blaged = robbed
sixes and sevens = crazy
lorry = truck
boot = trunk (car trunk)

I also know some Irish slang. I found a website with all Irish slang-words, but I can't remember most of them.
Here are a few examples:

rashers = bacon
pissed = drunk (that goes for Ireland and England)

Edit: Just remembered that I know one thing in Gaelic. Pogue mahone, that's Gaelic for "kiss my arse."
Last edited by SirLoin on 11 Aug 2004 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

wellness

Post by wellness » 11 Aug 2004 02:46

Dionysus187 wrote: English slang piss's me off, theres no logic behind it. They just come up with random shit.
piss's me off = makes me mad.

Very very logical...

Eric

Post by Eric » 11 Aug 2004 10:18

wellness wrote:
Dionysus187 wrote: English slang piss's me off, theres no logic behind it. They just come up with random shit.
piss's me off = makes me mad.

Very very logical...
Haha, dionysus is an idiot. That and they are an older country so I'm sure their slang has been around alot longer than ours

wombler

Post by wombler » 16 Aug 2004 11:19

SirLoin wrote: I know some British slang. Picked most of it up from movies and video games.
Here are a few examples:

blaged = robbed
sixes and sevens = crazy
lorry = truck
boot = trunk (car trunk)

I also know some Irish slang. I found a website with all Irish slang-words, but I can't remember most of them.
Here are a few examples:

rashers = bacon
pissed = drunk (that goes for Ireland and England)

Edit: Just remembered that I know one thing in Gaelic. Pogue mahone, that's Gaelic for "kiss my arse."
Thanks for playing SirLoin, but you lose.

Blagged (not blaged) can mean robbed (nicked) but the more common modern usage would be to describe getting something for free, or using your skills to get something you shouldn't really have got. For instance:

"I blagged an extra meal off the air hostess."
"Don't listen to that bloke, he's just a blagger."
"I managed to blag the best seat on the bus."

At sixes and sevens. No idea where the expression actually comes from (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-six1.htm apparently)
but it means confused, or at being at odds with someone, not crazy. For instance:

"When it came to deciding whether Lindsay Lohan's breasts were real, he was all at sixes and sevens."
"They were at sixes and sevens over whether Bush really was the stupidest world leader in history."

Lorry and (car)boot I'll give you, but they're not slang, you Yanks just chose to invent your own words for them for some reason. Rashers is a word used in Britain as well as Ireland, and it means a slice of bacon, rather than the bacon itself, so you'd say:
"I'll have three rashers of bacon please".

Since your nick is Sirloin, I assume you know about the popular English myth of the knighting of the beef:

<a href='http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/beyond/f ... og4d.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/beyond/f ... d.shtml</a>

Thus ends the English lesson for today.

WP_LeGeNd

Post by WP_LeGeNd » 16 Aug 2004 15:18

I like the word snogged...

I snogged a bloke last night... that's what all those trashy englsih girls allways say in those stupid holliday shows.

vanillachicana

Post by vanillachicana » 16 Aug 2004 16:20

I like snogged and shagged. Unfortunately though, shagged just makes me thing of carpeting, so I would never use it to describe my own activities.