How to be:

This is where all the posts that appeared on the old front page (June '04 - January '05) are stored (back when the site was run using IPB Portal).
Happy_Rotter

Post by Happy_Rotter » 19 Sep 2004 16:18

Phife wrote:
Smash wrote: Phife mis-spoke...sorta...more like everyone misunderstood him.

I totally get it.

Grunge is pre-emo.

Radiohead, Nirvana, etc.

Radiohead is pretty much the last link in GRUNGE before the break in the chain to the Dashboard/emo era.

Radiohead is not responsible, but its like radiohead is the blueprint for emo-ness-bands.
That actually might make a little more sense...

Why? Because Radiohead represented a break from the pure teenage angst of the grunge movement. They are the forefathers of the more thoughtful pain that modern emo bands ooze (like thrice, thursday, and dashboard).

Radiohead definitely set the style too...but I guess that's a different issue...
Nobody seems to understand what radiohead is all about.

lost in white castle

Post by lost in white castle » 19 Sep 2004 16:43

i am also confused. i like certain songs that, i suppose, could be called "emo" but that term sounds so, how do you say...queer? do i have to make out with boys now? if so, can they at least be fat so i can pretend i am touching girl boobies and not man teet? :huh:

:cry: emo-ticon!

i think i am obsessed with fat men.

pangwinking

Post by pangwinking » 19 Sep 2004 16:59

lost in white castle wrote: i think i am obsessed with fat men.
:wub: :wub: :wub:

Smash

Post by Smash » 19 Sep 2004 19:56

Happy_Rotter wrote:
Phife wrote:
Smash wrote: Phife mis-spoke...sorta...more like everyone misunderstood him.

I totally get it.

Grunge is pre-emo.

Radiohead, Nirvana, etc.

Radiohead is pretty much the last link in GRUNGE before the break in the chain to the Dashboard/emo era.

Radiohead is not responsible, but its like radiohead is the blueprint for emo-ness-bands.
That actually might make a little more sense...

Why? Because Radiohead represented a break from the pure teenage angst of the grunge movement. They are the forefathers of the more thoughtful pain that modern emo bands ooze (like thrice, thursday, and dashboard).

Radiohead definitely set the style too...but I guess that's a different issue...
Nobody seems to understand what radiohead is all about.
Are you accusing me of not knowing what they are 'about?'

A ) it's not that hard to get.

B ) don't really give a rip about 'em. I get 'em...and that's why I don't.

uselessend

Post by uselessend » 19 Sep 2004 21:25

I love that video because it shows how lame people can be to fit into a self-prescribed stereotype.
A great majority of what it says is right on indeed.
Most 'Emo Kids' say Fugazi and the like started it all...but who really cares? They don't get a frickin' gold medal for it.
This video made me laugh when I saw it a few months ago.

Oh, and I find that its best to not categorize bands, because then you get silly arguments like the one on this thread....I just catergorize music into listenable, and good; listenable, for car; and unlistenable.

I wish someone would make a video like this for straight edge kids...

Happy_Rotter

Post by Happy_Rotter » 19 Sep 2004 23:47

Smash wrote: B ) don't really give a rip about 'em.  I get 'em...and that's why I don't.
It's not an accusation, they just happen to be one of my favorite bands.

Am I 'emo'? :(

Z7Z1Z0

Post by Z7Z1Z0 » 20 Sep 2004 01:07

People who are "Emo" are angst filled whiny bitches who talk about nothing but how much life sucks. Emo is teh gay.

Camron

Post by Camron » 20 Sep 2004 06:45

I wouldn't consider Thrice or Thursday as Emo bands. They are just trying to label themselves as such to let mainstream listeners think they are listening to emo.

Whattman

Post by Whattman » 21 Sep 2004 00:25

I'm with phife......they all suck. Give me Judas Priest, or turn the damn thing off

Dex

Post by Dex » 21 Sep 2004 01:22

Last Christmas I got a "tickle-me emo" :omfg:

Anyone who attempts to explian why they ARE NOT emo, just end up making themselves look even more emo.

For example:
I wouldn't consider Thrice or Thursday as Emo bands. They are just trying to label themselves as such to let mainstream listeners think they are listening to emo.
You are so emo.

sheepdog

Post by sheepdog » 24 Sep 2004 00:49