Saw

This is where all the posts that appeared on the old front page (June '04 - January '05) are stored (back when the site was run using IPB Portal).
Justin

Post by Justin » 30 Oct 2004 14:33

sometimes, the ending makes the movie (e.g the sixth sense)

also, i was actually disappointed that they didn't show more gore. you never really see the guy burn to a crisp, you never really see that fat guy go through the maze of barbed wires, you dont actually get to see the cop get shotgunned to death, you dont even see cary elwes sawing through his own foot.

the only real gore i remember is some guts and cary initially cutting his foot.

it's true though, the structure of the movie kind of deflates any tension in the flashbacks of the two characters because you know they're not going to die just yet (since we know they have to end up in the bathroom alive, so no point in being scared for them)

also, you have to keep in mind that this was an extremely low budget movie! and you know how low budget movies can be in terms of acting and scripts.

cube had shitty acting. but a damn good premise. that was a good movie too despite having a relatively major flaw.

Bartman387

Post by Bartman387 » 30 Oct 2004 14:39

Justin wrote: also, you have to keep in mind that this was an extremely low budget movie! and you know how low budget movies can be in terms of acting and scripts.
Yeah, but I would say it wasn't the budget that was holding it back as much as the fact that the script was horrible and it takes no money to write and good script. Also a good script can overshadow back acting, so that would negate not having a high enough budget to get good actors.

Another thing that maybe ruined it for me was the fact that over at Joblow.com they have been hyping how great this movie is since begining of summer.

TheCitizen

Post by TheCitizen » 30 Oct 2004 14:47

Justin wrote: isn't his thing to kill people without actually killing them himself?

cary probably did die from the blood loss, thus never finding help, thus leaving the guy in the bathroom chained up and left for dead.

maybe.
During the Q&A session at the Toronto Film Fest, when asked about who lived and who died after the ending, the director, James Wan, and Leigh Whannell, the star and co-writer, both agreed that "everyone died".

I love the triple meaning of the title. The first two are obvious (jigsaw and cuttting saw) but also the fact that people being watched is important throughout the film.

I suspected at first that the body was the killer in disguise but quickly forgot about it after the red herring was introduced. I was going to ask if they made a deliberate effort to not show the body in the middle of the room during the later part of the film but I missed my chance.

Two parts bugged the hell of of me and got a few unintentional laughs from the festival crowd during the screening. First, the already mentioned "let's see what he's going to do next" part with the two cops. Also, when Monica Potter had a gun pointed at who she believed to be the killer and DIDN'T shoot him. I mean, he was about to kill her and her daughter for Christ's sake! Why wouldn't she shoot him for that reason alone?

And Bartman387...Danny Glover, not Morgan Freeman, you fuckin' nimrod!

Justin

Post by Justin » 30 Oct 2004 14:54

Bartman387

Post by Bartman387 » 30 Oct 2004 14:57

<a href='http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/saw/' target='_blank'>http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/saw/</a>

at rotten tomatoes its only getting a 47% rating

I like to edit: regarding JoBlo, yeah they have been praising it for months like it was Weekend at Bernies 3
Last edited by Bartman387 on 30 Oct 2004 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Justin

Post by Justin » 30 Oct 2004 15:39

if you guys haven't seen Old Boy yet, you should.

now THAT is a fucked up movie. seriously. the ending LITERALLY hits you like a ton of bricks.

it's just SO not right.

(those of you who have seen it, put up a spoiler warning if you're going to talk about that FUCKED UP ending)

trailer: <a href='http://www.cinemas-online.co.uk/trailers/OLDBOY_FF.mov' target='_blank'>http://www.cinemas-online.co.uk/trailer ... _FF.mov</a>
Last edited by Justin on 30 Oct 2004 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

The Only Woj

Post by The Only Woj » 31 Oct 2004 00:29

Justin @ Oct 30 2004 wrote:the guys over at chud seemed to hate it though
Dave Davis gave it a 8.2 at CHUD
Justin @ Oct 30 2004 wrote:if you guys haven't seen Old Boy yet, you should.
My problem is I live in West Lafayette, IN (Purdue) ... so I get screwed on movies. Haven't seen I HEART HUCKABEES or SHAUN OF THE DEAD ... when I get home I'll have a chance to, but here, unless I rent a car and drive to Chicago, it aint gonna happen. As for OLD BOY, that is a badass trailer. There was another Japanses/Korean movie you mentioned that I also really want to get ahold of ... likely not movies I could find somewhere to rent ... what would I have to do to see it? Find it on eBay?

EDIT: INFERNAL AFFAIRS, that's the one.
Justin @ Oct 30 2004 wrote:also, you have to keep in mind that this was an extremely low budget movie! and you know how low budget movies can be in terms of acting and scripts.
That's another thing that sets it appart from other films, it felt "smaller" ... and I think that helped. I did HATE the car chase scenes, that was just really ugly, I know they didn't have the money to do something elaborate, but they could have done something that wasn't so ugly. You can only show so much "gore" in a movie like this that you want to be mainstream (and get that R rating) ... so I'm certain a DVD will be more fleshed out.
Last edited by The Only Woj on 31 Oct 2004 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

ikuve

Post by ikuve » 31 Oct 2004 06:29

Spoilers below!

I liked the movie, up until the part where the writer stopped using common sense. Allow me to explain.

At the beginning, when Adam was trying to reach the recorder, it was Dr. Gordon's instinctual thought to have Adam use his shirt to be able to reach across the floor further. At the end, when Dr. Gordon is 8 inches away from the ringing cell phone, he suddenly turns into a completely retard and doesn't use his own shirt to reach it. He instead takes his shirt off(good move), ties the fucking thing around his ankle(wtf? you can reach the phone now fucktard) and cuts his foot off!? Hell, even if he was so much of an idiot that he didn't think to use his own shirt, he could have used the saw itself to reach the cellphone.

No matter what kind of mental and/or emotional agony this man was going through, no real person and ONLY a character in a movie would have chosen to cut their foot off in that situation. Instead a real person would have used the same common sense that they possessed at the beginning of the situation and used their own shirt to reach the phone. If he had done that, he'd have found out that his wife & daughter were safe and even though it would have been a "happy ending" it would have been believable. As it stands, the movie faltered at this point and the writer/director made me and many others that were perceptive enough to see this flaw, feel as if they felt that we were idiots. I can't stand that type of shit in movies.

popezaphod

Post by popezaphod » 31 Oct 2004 10:59

if you guys haven't seen Old Boy yet, you should.

now THAT is a fucked up movie. seriously. the ending LITERALLY hits you like a ton of bricks.

it's just SO not right.
Yes, "Oldboy" (or "OldBoy" or "Old Boy", whatever) is a great fucked-up film. That's definitely 4.5/5 stars.

"Saw" I'd give 3/5 stars, maybe 2.5/5. It had a lot of promise, but there should have been more fucked-up scenarios, and more gore.

*MINOR SPOILER*

Regarding the razor wire, I thought the scene in "Suspiria" was way more disturbing.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » 31 Oct 2004 11:53

Just returned from seeing it.

I agree with having figured out who the "bad guy" was in the movie and as for Cary's acting, well, it was left to be desired. His "cellmate" however had more convincing acting I felt.

-spoiler-

What I really liked about the ending was that it didn't end all happy and "oh the day is saved." Fuck no.

Whenever it is released, I hope there is an uncut version as the display of the sawing of his foot would have made increased the gore effect; had the audience cringing.

I noticed some posts saying that only a movie character would saw their foot off; I kind of disagree with this a little bit. If a person was placed in a completely impossible position beyond their will shown their closest ones being held captive and at gunpoint, a person's faith and hope can go right out the window and thusly, lose their whole track of thinking and just go insane. Although, I do wish he wouldn't scream so goddamn much.

However, I got to see Rob Zombie's trailer for "The Devils Rejects" beforehand, so that was a plus. ^_^

Justin

Post by Justin » 31 Oct 2004 12:01

yep. like that guy who got trapped under a boulder or something and cut his arm off with a knife to save his life

<a href='http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=I ... rm+boulder' target='_blank'>(google)</a>

the devil's rejects looks like shit! just like house of 1000 corpses.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » 31 Oct 2004 12:28

Justin wrote: yep. like that guy who got trapped under a boulder or something and cut his arm off with a knife to save his life

<a href='http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=I ... rm+boulder' target='_blank'>(google)</a>

the devil's rejects looks like shit! just like house of 1000 corpses.
It's technically "HOA1KC part two" but I'm not sure how it will hold up to the first one. I would figure a bunch of satanic, cannibalistic, sick fuck monkeys in the countryland to be more disturbing than three rednecks with shotguns.

Justin

Post by Justin » 31 Oct 2004 12:30

kind of reminded me of natural born killers that trailer

jimthej00

Post by jimthej00 » 31 Oct 2004 21:54

with slight tinges of deliverance...

Imthatf'nguy

Post by Imthatf'nguy » 31 Oct 2004 23:52

I went to see this movie last night and it was great. There were so many plot twists and such an unexpected ending that it kept you thinking the entire time. Has anyone seen it yet and what did you think? If you havent seen it, do yourself a favor. Heres the <a href='http://httphttp://www.themoviebox.net/m ... ailer.html' target='_blank'>trailer</a>