Fahrenheit 9/11

This is where all the posts that appeared on the old front page (June '04 - January '05) are stored (back when the site was run using IPB Portal).
Justin

Post by Justin » 27 Jun 2004 11:40

So who's seen it? If you haven't, you should. It's really good stuff. I was surprised to see the theater that i went to like, 98% full (remember this is freakin' <i>Kalamazoo Michigan</i> we're talkin' about here). Most times you'd be hard pressed to have 20-30 people watching a movie; even on opening day. And this was like 98%. At a 12:30pm screening.

Just so you know, when 9/11 happened, i had no access to CNN or a proper TV news channel. I was in stupid Malaysia at the time and we didn't have satellite or cable TV at the dorm. All i really had going for me in terms of news coverage was the internet. And even then, i never really read up on everything that was going on. I really really wished i had CNN back then. So unlike the rest of the world, i didn't have clips of the planes crashing into the twin towers shown to me a bazillion gazillion times a day. Heck, when some Australian dude IMed me saying something like "America is under attack. The pentagon and the twin towers got bombed" i was like, "yeah right". I was in the computer lab at the time and didn't even think twice about checking CNN.com or whatever because, really, it just sounded ridiculous. It was only after i got back to the dorms did i actually start hearing from other people about what'd happened over in the States.

I never really 'got into' the whole 9/11 thing because i had no access to proper news media. At least media that would provide 24 hour a day news updates on the whole thing. It really wasn't until a full year later did i actually REALLY get to see what other people had already seen a million times over; and that was on DVD. If you look at my <A HREF="/dvd.html">DVD</A> list, you'll see that i have two 9/11 DVDs on there.

I also didn't pay that much attention to the 2000 elections either. Because, shit, i was halfway across the world and they just don't cover stuff like that <i>that much</i> so i didn't really get to hear about everything that went down. All i knew was that Florida cheated and that was pretty much it really.

So basically, watching Fahrenheit 9/11 was pretty much like playing catch up with everyone else who's already 'in the know'. I'll tell you what, if i were an American citizen; and knowing what i know now about the Bush family after seeing what i saw in Fahrenheit 9/11, i'd definitely wouldn't vote for teh Dubya.

Sure, <A HREF="http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvo ... nyway.com/" target="_blank">John Kerry is a douchebag, but i'd vote for him anyway</a>. If i could.

There's been <A HREF="/archives/924">lots of</A> <A HREF="/archives/1186">Moore</A> <A HREF="/archives/1208">bashing</A> on this site. It'd be interesting to see what people will say now that the movie is actually out.

In conclusion, go see Fahrenheit 9/11!
Last edited by Justin on 04 Dec 2004 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

radish01001

Post by radish01001 » 27 Jun 2004 11:44

I thought it was great. At this point I don't really care what people say about Moore because I've heard it all...none of the information was new per se...but rather organized in a very nice fasion. I recommend it.

DarckkorioN

Post by DarckkorioN » 27 Jun 2004 11:50

I saw it yesterday at the 7:15 showing. We actually bought our tickets the day before, which was a good thing, because they were sold out when we got there. And yeah, it was really fucking full. I doubt there were two seats in a row empty anywhere in the theater.

But yeah, it was fucking awesome, even though there was a looooooooong wait to get in.

neonblack

Post by neonblack » 27 Jun 2004 11:59

I also saw it yesterday at the 7:15 showing, and it was packed. Mostly old people, including this crazy old lady harassing my friend and I to make sure to register (we already had). Funniest part: when she called Bush a "fucking idiot" during the movie. By the way, the movie was pretty interesting, though sadly lacking in some of the more hysterical Michael Moore tactics from Bowling for Columbine (excepting, of course, the reading of the Patriot Act).

Justin

Post by Justin » 27 Jun 2004 12:04

yeah, LOTS of old people. i mentioned that i never saw so many old people watch a movie in my entire life. that was a first for me.

hysterical michael moore act (as you mentioned): the ice cream truck!

oh and EXCELLENT choice of music throughtout the movie.

Trip

Post by Trip » 27 Jun 2004 12:24

I went to go see it today. It was a real eye opener but you do have to take everything moore says with a grain of salt. Me and a friend were the only ones in there under 18. Most definitely worth 6 bucks.

kevin

Post by kevin » 27 Jun 2004 12:36

I want to see it too, however you must understand that Moore's point of view is slanted - so you shouldn't believe everything you "learn" from the movie. Bush is an idiot, but voting for Kerri (the douchebag) is stupid too. Vote for someone who is better than both instead (wow there's a new and weird idea). If people just stopped thinking that they only had two choices (Republican vs. Democrat) then perhaps someone better might actually make it to the White House. STOP VOTING FOR THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS AND VOTE FOR YOUR REAL CHOICE.

MICHAEL JACKSON FOR PRESIDENT!

kevin

Post by kevin » 27 Jun 2004 12:39

...And while I'm on. I'm just wondering, does everyone have an error on the front page of this site?

Amy

Post by Amy » 27 Jun 2004 12:46

Excellent film, well worth seeing. I went to the 10:30 am showing on Friday. Not packed, but definitely a presence for a weekday morning matinee.

Michael Moore never claims to be unbiased. He had something he wanted to say, and he put it out there.

I'm all for third party candidates. Not this year. This year it's far too important to get that man out of office.

History will not look kindly on George W. Bush.

The man is evil.

--------------------

Oh, and Justin... you wouldn't have been able to check cnn.com, or any major news sites on 9/11. They were all down most of the day. (Due to the flood of traffic.)

I was at work that morning. Saw a picture of the first tower on the front page of cnn.com with a giant hole in it. "Freak accident", I thought.

Once the second plane hit, the site went down.

The rest of the day was pretty fucking crazy.

James Earl Jones

Post by James Earl Jones » 27 Jun 2004 12:52

I'm almost tired of Bush bashing, it's really getting old. But I don't think it'll ever stop. oh well.

Amy

Post by Amy » 27 Jun 2004 12:58

Hmmm... Glad I finally registered.

It seems that before I was missing out on all of the big animated gifs people are using for their signatures.

Lord knows that won't ever grow old.

the other

Post by the other » 27 Jun 2004 13:50

I saw it...

I was pissed...

because I have been saying this shit ever since bush took office but my friends call me conspiracy theorist... blah...

but Moore did a great job..

Nuzman

Post by Nuzman » 27 Jun 2004 13:51

I haven't seen it and don't plan to at this time. Michael Moore's history is of pushing his political agenda with very little effort at actual representation of fact.

Now Slate is hardly what you'd call a neocon site... and they're even calling the movie a bunch of lies.

<a href='http://www.slate.com/id/2102723/' target='_blank'>http://www.slate.com/id/2102723/</a>

A guy I work with openly admits he "hates Bush", yet has a "Hate Is Not A Family Value" bumper sticker on his car. He told me how Bush stole the election and didn't even get the majority of states... then I showed him the map of red and blue states. Now he's almost willing to question at least some of the "trueisms" surrounding this Presidency.

Are you willing to question what Michael Moore claims as fact?

BTW, go back and read the Supreme Court ruling on Florida's vote count as well as media reports months later on actual recounts. The court did not pick the president. They simplly reminded the Florida Supreme Court that they had to follow the law. And those media recounts showed Bush actually did win the state.

<a href='http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/florid ... /main.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/florid ... in.html</a>

I'm not gonna bash Moore. He's got the money to front his wacko conspiracy theories and the right to express them.

What I find funny now is that he may soon have to quit advertising his movie because of the campaign finance reform laws.

I'm glad you were entertained.

the other

Post by the other » 27 Jun 2004 14:02

Nuzman wrote:

Now Slate is hardly what you'd call a neocon site

But you can call Christopher Hitchens one...
Last edited by the other on 27 Jun 2004 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Amy

Post by Amy » 27 Jun 2004 15:01

I'm not gonna bash Moore. He's got the money to front his wacko conspiracy theories and the right to express them.
That's fucking funny.

I never say, "I'm not going to bash Bush", and then say that he's an inept President, and a blood-thirsty moron. If you're going to bash, just bash. Don't be a giant pussy about the whole thing.

Wacko conspiracy theories?

Sure...

The invasion of Iraq was about nothing other than liberating the people of Iraq. And the WMD's... that weren't there.

Yeah.

:blink:
Last edited by Amy on 27 Jun 2004 15:01, edited 1 time in total.