Spider-Man 2

This is where all the posts that appeared on the old front page (June '04 - January '05) are stored (back when the site was run using IPB Portal).
al k holik

Post by al k holik » 01 Jul 2004 11:25

Great flick. Sat as close to the screen as I could to suspend the fact I was in a room with dozens and dozens of little kids. I agree with Justin's fave scenes... and look very forward to the Third!

the DARKKNIGHT

Post by the DARKKNIGHT » 01 Jul 2004 11:46

grate movie cant wait for the 3 movie , till then we will see thor , blade 3 , the batman, iron man, hulk 2, catwoman, x men 3 , and so on and so on......

Justin

Post by Justin » 01 Jul 2004 12:06

bruce campbell was fucking hilarious too. he had the whole theater laughing.

all 20 of us.

(it was a 10am showing after all)
Last edited by Justin on 01 Jul 2004 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Dex

Post by Dex » 01 Jul 2004 12:16

I think I was the only one to notice him (or know who he was). I went "woo!" when he was first on screen, but no one else made a noise or anything. Plus no one laughed, and he was really funny.. as usual.

Justin

Post by Justin » 01 Jul 2004 12:36

those people probably didn't 'get' bruce's cameo.

you'd have to be a hardcore sam raimi/evil dead fan to appreciate all the little throwbacks and in jokes in the movie.

like for example, sam almost always has bruce do a cameo in his movies. bruce also tends to pop up in a few coen brothers movies too. (the coens worked with raimi on the evil dead movies)

and that yellow car (uncle ben's car), that car is in almost EVERY SINGLE ONE of sam raimi's movies. pick a random raimi movie and play spot the yellow oldsmobile.

the abuse that ted raimi gets in the movie? probably intentional because sam LOVES to abuse his brother (listen to the commentary track for evil dead 2)

if you've never seen evil dead, evil dead 2, army of darkness, darkman or even the quick and the dead, you probably wont think twice about the whole hospital scene. it'll just be 'another scene' to you. but those who have seen those other movies, you'll know that it's all classic cult movie sam at work. it was really awesome to see him go back to his roots for those few minutes.

i defy any evil dead fan not to think about army of darkness when they see that chainsaw in the hospital scene.

Creepy Bob

Post by Creepy Bob » 01 Jul 2004 12:41

I love how they stick to the comic book to the best they can. The part I cannot stand is seeing the movie with someone who doesn't know spiderman at all. I was sitting in the theater and during the scene where Harry finds his dad's stash. All the dumb asses in the theater started mumbling, hobgoblin! As though Stan Lee is going to deviate now from the comic book even though he has stuck to it for the most part.

I would hope the third movie's main villain is not Harry as the green goblin. I would hope it's Venom. Although it may be a little difficult to introduce it all in one movie. All of the other villains are kind of lame. Im hoping they can pull off a very good and better movie.

Edit. I did my best to proof read for errors, but it's making my head hurt.
Last edited by Creepy Bob on 01 Jul 2004 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

Howsurazz

Post by Howsurazz » 01 Jul 2004 13:31

Too bad that guy was dead wrong on how the movie goes. There goes your theory on how it would all go down dumbass. Just don't assume its gonna be identical. Greatest movie ever hope it even breaks Justin's fav movie (Titanic) record for all time. Can't wait for the third to come out. Unlike most sequels this one was much better.

pHr0sTbYt3

Post by pHr0sTbYt3 » 01 Jul 2004 13:38

What do you guys think about the spiderman 2 soundtrack? i was checking it out today and it shows a lot of talent...
1. Vindicated - Dashboard Confessional
2. Ordinary - Train
3. Did You - Hoobastank
4. Hold On - Jet
5. Gifts And Curses - Yellowcard
6. Woman - Maroon 5
7. This Photograph Is Proof (I Know You Know) - Taking Back Sunday
8. Give It Up - Midtown
9. Lucky You - lostprophets
10. Who I Am - Smile Empty Soul
11. The Night That The Lights Went Out In NYC - The Ataris
12. We Are - Ana
13. Someone To Die For - Jimmy Gnecco featuring Brian May
14. Spidey Suite - Danny Elfman
15. Doc Ock Suite - Danny Elfman

al k holik

Post by al k holik » 01 Jul 2004 13:44

and that yellow car (uncle ben's car), that car is in almost EVERY SINGLE ONE of sam raimi's movies. pick a random raimi movie and play spot the yellow oldsmobile.
That was/is Raimi's car. I learned to drive in an yellow Olds just like that - brown Landau top instead of white, though. I remember seeing Evil Dead for the first time and saying, "that's my car!" One of many reasons I like this guy and his movies.

I imagine it's not in "Quick and the Dead," but I haven't seen it... he probably would figure some way to put it in there...

Aldredz

Post by Aldredz » 01 Jul 2004 13:49

well just saw the movie, no complaints here really, did have some asshole in the back of the theater yelling out names of STD's right in the middle of dramatic parts though, I fucking people like that.

Sunstrider

Post by Sunstrider » 01 Jul 2004 18:36

Justin wrote: if you've never seen evil dead, evil dead 2, army of darkness
I'm going to see it today a 2 PM. I can't wait. Also I want to think everyone for making sure to either not post spoilers or at least give warnings, good looking out.

Now I have a question. Justin you seem to know a bit about Evil dead 1 and 2 so I'll ask you. I remember seeing these movies many years ago but what I really remember about them is the similarities. Was Evil dead 2 just a remake of one with better effects, is it a stand alone movie or is it an actual sequel that is just similar to the first one? I guess I'll have to rent them again one day soon but if you (or anyone) could answer this for me I would appreciate it.

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet » 01 Jul 2004 22:35

Great great great movie. Saw it last night at a 6:30 showing and it was packed; luckily my friends and I were the first people in line and got the best seats in the house, even though a few fucking Puerto Rican guys next to us decided to talk throughout the whole fucking thing in Spanish while playing with their cell phones. Ugh.

Being a hardcore Spidey fan, I was really looking forward to this movie. I kept clear of all spoilers and didn't even watch the tv spots, since I overindulged with the first movie and knew pretty much every scene and plot point in that one. Abstaining from looking into the sequel was well worth it.

A little spoiler here:

I loved that little jab at Tobey's back injury from Seabiscuit that they added into the movie. Heh.

Justin

Post by Justin » 01 Jul 2004 22:43

sam has a certain style to the way he moves the camera and edits his shots (especially in his older, more 'cult horror' movies). it's very distinct. you'll see a lot of the classic evil dead/army of darkness camera moves in the hospital scene.

evil dead 2 works as a stand alone movie. you dont really need to see the first one. it actually more of a remake than a sequel but i think they said (in the commentary) that it is a sequel and that bruce's character is just dumb enough to go visit the cabin twice. it's kind of complicated because sam changes the plot continuity from sequel to sequel. you'll notice that the ending of evil dead 2 isnt the way it's shown in army of darkness (when they recap back to the events of evil dead 2)

darkman was sam's first superhero movie. it's a fun movie. and probably why sony picked him to direct spider-man. there's a sequence in the first spider-man flick that pays homage to darkman (the sequence where spidey is designing his costume = almost identical to the sequence where darkman was making his secret face copying formula thing)

SPOILERRRRRRRR

that back thing was hilarious. and fucking brutal too! goddamn, that fall was CRAZY.

i think i was the only one who 'got' the back injury thing. nobody else seemed to laugh.

in jokes galore
Last edited by Justin on 01 Jul 2004 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

william

Post by william » 02 Jul 2004 04:10

it was a kick ass movie and the one liner jokes were well placed.. the movie had everything to make it easily the best movie of the year.. when do you think the next sequel will be out? in two years? and does anyone know the song that was playing during the end credits?

surfpenguin

Post by surfpenguin » 02 Jul 2004 04:35

SPOILERS GALORE!!!

Those of you who seen Spidey 2, did my eyes deceive me, or did Stan Lee have a cameo again? I think I saw him during the first Doc Ock/Spiderman encounter (outside the bank). I've only seen it once, so I'm not 100% on this, but I think a piece (or pieces) of stone fall towards a woman, and some old guy helps her out of the way. The old guy seemed to be Stan Lee to me. But, it was VERY brief, so I didn't have time to really make sure that it was him. I guess I'll confirm next time I see it if no one else noticed.

Bruce Campbell, HILARIOUS! When he points to the "Quiet" sign, I just about pissed myself. But, like most of you, very few people "got" the cameo. Same with the back injury thing. I didn't know if I should cringe or laugh at that one. That was one NASTY spill.

The scene in the subway (after Spidey stops it) was also pretty cool. The kid going "we won't tell anyone". Very cool, reminiscent of the "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" scene from the first one.

END OF SPOILERS.

If you haven't seen it yet, GO SEE IT NOW!!!