Lucid dreaming

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 29 Aug 2005 08:12

I have always been fascinated with lucid dreaming. By definition it is
...simply dreaming while being aware you are dreaming. You can think of lucid dreaming as being conscious while dreaming. If, by chance, during a dream it suddenly dawns on you that you are dreaming, then you have experienced a lucid dream, regardless of whether you have been able to attain control of your dream.
-- www.dreamviews.com
There have been many a time when I have been dreaming where I was being chased or something ominous was about to happen and all I could do was let the events of my dream run its course. I have actually only experienced lucid dreams and dream control a few times and each time it happened it was absolutely phenomenal. For instance, one time I was having a dream that one of my coworkers (female) and I were being chased in our office by a serial killer. Suddenly, during the middle of this dream, I realized 'hey - I'm actually asleep right now'. From that point I was able to control my dream and what transpired (yes, it did turn into a freaky sex dream...I did say I was able to control it, didn't I?!).

On the other few occaissions this has happened I was able to fly, see the Grand Canyon and also defeat a several foes a la 'Scanners'. Has anyone else had experiences with their sleep and dreams similar to this?
Last edited by puzzlehead on 29 Aug 2005 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

ryancook

Post by ryancook » 29 Aug 2005 09:01

yes. it's happening right now! i know i am dreaming and i have gained control of my computer as if i was awake. i am controlling what i am typing right now!

i may have a wet dream shortly.
Last edited by ryancook on 29 Aug 2005 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » 29 Aug 2005 14:13

Honestly, I have woken up when having a 'hot' dream and made myself go back to sleep and continue the dream I was having.

I continue from when I left off and that's all you need to know :P

Wombat

Post by Wombat » 29 Aug 2005 15:54

Most of my sleep is caused pharmaceuticals so I dont really remember dreams if I have them. I think it would be cool to have daydream control over sleeping dreams.

inplainview

Post by inplainview » 29 Aug 2005 20:02

I've had many dreams where in the middle of the dream I wonder "Why the hell am I dreaming this?". But I fail to control dreams it's like I'm just along for the ride even if I am aware that it's a fucked up dream.
~vjay~ wrote:Honestly, I have woken up when having a 'hot' dream and made myself go back to sleep and continue the dream I was having.

I continue from when I left off and that's all you need to know :P

I wish I had that sort of control over continuing dreams, once I wake up whatever I was dreaming is halted right there. Even if I remember it completely.

darkoZiac

Post by darkoZiac » 29 Aug 2005 22:30

Heh, I was just talking about this the other day to a friend, my dreaming is mental. I used have loads of dreams where I'd be lucid and I'd start to control it, but it'd mainly be the unpleasant ones, I'd change it to be good instead. The nice ones, I just let flow.

The strangeness comes with a few other things. I use my CD player as my alarm clock and one day I had Mogwai coming on, to wake me up. Now Mogwai's music is very pleasant and a bit dreamy in itself, but it is also quite loud. The alarm went off, Mogwai came on, but my fucking dream incorporated it and I was put into a Mogwai concert. I was there, listening to Mogwai, in their concert and didn't wake up for like twenty minutes. Then there was a mad moment, when I woke up and the dream song was in the real world too. I woke up very disorientated and late for whatever I wanted to do.

Argy-barge.

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 31 Aug 2005 10:36

I have tried, over and over again, to find ways to control my dreams because, frankly, the thought of being able to do anything I want to without repercussions is really appealing.

Other issues I've had with dreams -

* Is it a myth that if you die in your dreams you croak in real life? I don't think I've ever actually experienced full on death in a dream. I've had dreams where I've been put feet first into a meat grinder but by the time it gets up to my chest I wake up or switch dreams.

* I've also tried the exercise where you write down what you've dreamt as soon as you wake up. You keep a pad of paper and a pen by your bed and immediately, even if it is in the middle of the night, you start to write down what you can remember. I did it once and didn't understand a damn thing I wrote. Something about buying Dennis Quaid a bottle and then calling a lawyer.

* I absolutely, positively, undeniably hate that fucking dream where you think you hear the most beautiful or most perfect song in the world and then when you wake up you can't remember how it went.

Jaquio

Post by Jaquio » 31 Aug 2005 13:02

Well to answer about the lucid dreams, and your question about death in dreams...

I have lucid dreams very rarely. Maybe once every few years. The one time that is most vivid to me happened when I was in high school. It was having a nightmare in which I was a disciple of some God, but the God looked like the Sphinx. Anyway, I stole what I guess was its holy book/bible, and he was coming to destroy me, but couldn't find me because I was hiding. In the dream I was terrified. But then all of a sudden I realized "hey, I'm dreaming... this isn't real." and then after that I figured that the easiest way to wake up from the dream was to die. So I left my hiding spot, and I was found, and the Sphinx crushed me, and I instantly woke up.

Very strange experience. I was lucid enough to realize how to wake up, but not enough to say "I can make this dream do what I want".

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 31 Aug 2005 13:13

puzzlehead wrote:I have tried, over and over again, to find ways to control my dreams because, frankly, the thought of being able to do anything I want to without repercussions is really appealing.

Other issues I've had with dreams -

* Is it a myth that if you die in your dreams you croak in real life?  I don't think I've ever actually experienced full on death in a dream. I've had dreams where I've been put feet first into a meat grinder but by the time it gets up to my chest I wake up or switch dreams.
That is false. I've died in my dreams many times before.
puzzlehead wrote:* I've also tried the exercise where you write down what you've dreamt as soon as you wake up.  You keep a pad of paper and a pen by your bed and immediately, even if it is in the middle of the night, you start to write down what you can remember.  I did it once and didn't understand a damn thing I wrote. Something about buying Dennis Quaid a bottle and then calling a lawyer.
That dream is what I call a rolodex dream. Your mind is processing all the different things you experienced or saw during your conscious hours. They start to merge together. Similar to the way words merge while you are flipping through a rolodex.
puzzlehead wrote:* I absolutely, positively, undeniably hate that fucking dream where you think you hear the most beautiful or most perfect song in the world and then when you wake up you can't remember how it went.
At another forum we frequent, I made mention that I had that happen to me. Perhaps its your innate(sic) musical ability coming out.

WP_LeGeNd

Post by WP_LeGeNd » 01 Sep 2005 00:26

after hearing about this a few years ago I actively started to train myself in lucid dreaming. and after about 4 days it actually happened... it felt so weird and good at the same time. I advice everyone to try it just once, it's a great experience. since that first time it has happened about 3 times since but I'm too lazy to train myself to do it every night.

scoutface

Post by scoutface » 01 Sep 2005 06:07

I have experienced lucid dreams a few different times, and in most I was also able to control the dream.

If you guys think this is an interesting topic, I would recommend the movie Waking Life. Not only does it have interesting subject matter (a bit slow, and there is a lot of philosophical rants), but it also is done in that live action/re-animated by hand look that is going to be in the movie A Scanner Darkly.

It's hard to explain, so I suggest you see for yourself (at least just do a google image search).

Smash

Post by Smash » 01 Sep 2005 11:12

WP_LeGeNd wrote:after hearing about this a few years ago I actively started to train myself in lucid dreaming. and after about 4 days it actually happened... it felt so weird and good at the same time. I advice everyone to try it just once, it's a great experience. since that first time it has happened about 3 times since but I'm too lazy to train myself to do it every night.

For anyone interested in <a href='http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFA ... techniques' target='_blank'>how to</a>. I fail at this because I remember a dream maybe about one night every two weeks. I normally just sleep and awake hours later like a zombie. :( I know I tried for a better part of six months to lucid dream, doing the mnemonic exercises...to no avail.

ruprechtjones

Post by ruprechtjones » 01 Sep 2005 11:49

I hate my dreams. They're too intense.

I enjoy the nights when I just go to sleep, then wake up the next morning and don't remember shit. That is a good night. Usually requires alcohol or some other drug. I hate my dreams.

Smash

Post by Smash » 01 Sep 2005 18:29

ruprechtjones wrote:I hate my dreams.  They're too intense.

I enjoy the nights when I just go to sleep, then wake up the next morning and don't remember shit.  That is a good night.  Usually requires alcohol or some other drug.  I hate my dreams.

That's me every night. Trade? I like any and all dreams just because it's rare I 'experience' one.

turtle1

Post by turtle1 » 02 Sep 2005 00:28

<span style='color:red'>it's rare that i remember my dreams either</span>