The Closed Button Icon

The Zot

Post by The Zot » 26 Mar 2006 02:40

steampunk wrote:
bligityblah wrote:Actually given the lineage it was closer to 3rd when you include the "quits", hosting issues and general apathy by that yellow bastard.
Someone should post a small history lesson with the different names (and people migration) so it can be referred back to. I know I've pestered Smash and Pang before with "who's this? who's that?"

I joined TJNR in fall of '04 -- but I've yet to post. My simple (and most probably flawed) understanding is that about 2/3s of the "regs"* left TJNR when it was sold. A few of these went to Purge's site (most of Purge's folks are also TJNR, I think), a few went to Creepy Bob's (now extinct), and a few went to Matt's. The majority of Matt's site do not frequent TJNR. (As an aside, it appears the majority of Matt's also don't frequent DLT, either the front page or forums).

So, when someone refers to "reg" it can have different levels of meaning. It's like talking about generations of vampires for Anne Rice. :P People refer to Zot & Crow as "regs", but I usually hear Smash & the others refer to them as if they were still new. Also, Smash's "Old" moniker is not only a reference to his age, but the fact he's been around Justin for ages.

Maybe someone can give a breakdown about who started in the "Yellow 'verse" and when:

--Edit--
Zero gen: Justin's blogs / journal / Nathanism / etcetera
Justin (duh), Suzi, Eve (Germany), Thess, Keli

First gen: BIAGW
Smash, Embus, Bubba, Pangwinking, Bligityblah, Jamdez, PacmanJesus, Umgawa, theSuit, JSD, TheFelinePunk

Second gen: TJNR-YABB (aka, pre-June '04)
Dex, Mandarin, Zot, Rushie, KVL, Grey_Fox24, Zot, Father_Ted

Third gen: TJNR-IPB (aka, post-June '04)
Droppy, Purge(?)

Fourth gen: Offshoot sites like Matt's, Purge's and Bob's (and JSD's)
Steampunk

Fifth gen: DLT
???
--End of Edit

* Regs means those on the old YABB system, i.e. those with a date of 17 June 04 as their start date. My understanding is that the real "regs" go back to Justin's first blogging and BIAGW -- I've heard these "true regs" are people like Suzi, [s]Embus and Clarissa[/s], yes? I believe most (not all) of the moderators at TJNR now were n00bs during either the YABB days or even after 17 June 04.

** Real regs, please feel free to correct this and shit all over it.

From Justin, via <a href='http://dontlinkthis.com/archives/1501' target='_blank'>this post</a>:
Here’s the skinny. For most of the past 5 years or so, i had always been hosted for free. Never had to spend a single dime running the site. In the beginning, the site was on some free geocities-like server. stas.net or some shit. Then i got hosted on a subdomain at nathanism.com. Then i got picked up by the solosnet network. And they even bought me a proper domain name. Then my site just got too big to be hosted for free anymore and the site was closed for a few months. And i was relegated to livejournal HELL. Then another kind soul offered to host me for free again and buy me a new domain name. And thus from the ashes of badinagoodway.com came thatsjustnotright.com. So all was well until the site got too big to be hosted for free. Again. So then for the first time ever, i struck out on my own [DLT.com] and paid for my own hosting.

Wow...mentioned twice. I'm flattered.

However I would disagree with the genesis here.

Dex, Mandarin, Rushie, and Foxxy were all Good in a Bad way members.

That is all