Favourite Directors

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 27 Oct 2005 23:15

A simple enough topic.

I thought I'd stay off the beaten track and actually cite directors that surprised me with their efforts rather than quote the good old Spielberg/Lucas/Cameron holy trinity.

Notable mentions:

Roger Donaldson - One reason. "Thirteen Days" a far beyond par dramatic telling of the 13 days of the Cuban missile crisis and the actions taken by the Brothers Kennedy and one very irritating Kevin Costner as Kenny O'Donnell.

David Fincher - A highly promising ingenue of Se7en and Fight Club fame who's on meteoric success plateau-ed with the over expectation from audiences of "Panic Room" to deliver on the same level. 2006 will be his newest project, 'Chronicles' based on the Zodiac killer.

Takeshi Kitano AKA 'Beat' Takeshi - One of Japan's favourite sons who does it all, scripting, directing and acting among other disciplines. One of his latest works, Zaitoichi: The Blind Swordsman takes a refreshing approach to the old 'blind heroic samurai' formula and turns it on its head, mixing in dance choreography ala 'Stomp!'

Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer - Yes. I know Bruckheimer takes a lot of flack for selling out. But I for one saw merit to his body of work with Don Simpson before Simpson's drug induced death around the time of 'The Rock'. They had a nuance for Clancy-ish action. And there's no one around doing that effectively today.

Wolfgang Petersen - 2 words. 'Das Boot'. A fat fucking epic. It may be dated in some aspects today but no doubt this has a long way to be beat as the DEFINITIVE submarine movie to end them all.

More to follow at a later date...

steampunk

Post by steampunk » 28 Oct 2005 00:42

UncleMao wrote:Wolfgang Petersen - 2 words. 'Das Boot'. A fat fucking epic. It may be dated in some aspects today but no doubt this has a long way to be beat as the DEFINITIVE submarine movie to end them all.
Couldn't agree more on this one - Das Boot is the bar all other sub films try to meet (or similar, like <a href='http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094716/' target='_blank'>The Beast</a> which I thought was a decent film). Fact: Das Boot was the first movie I ever purchased on DVD.

The Perfect Storm was pretty good. Troy was tolerable, even overcoming Brad Pitt. Hell, I didn't mind The Neverending Story. But if he screws up <a href='http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400403/' target='_blank'>Ender Wiggins</a>, I may never forgive him...