UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 01 Apr 2006 10:48

Good films for 2006. I will update monthly

Thus far, to April 2006.

1) Memoirs of a Geisha
2) V for Vendetta
3) Inside Man (Not perfect, but good)
4) Crash (Haggis, Not Cronenberg)
5) A History of Violence (Heehee. Cronenberg)
6) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Big points for Ralph-ermort.)
7) Just friends (My obligatory teen movie for the list)
8) Munich (This was underrated so badly)
9) The Constant Gardener (Sad, but so well done)
10) Jarhead

The king suck (so far):
Tie - 1) The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and 1) The Brothers Grimm.

Eamon Angelface

Post by Eamon Angelface » 01 Apr 2006 14:37

I hated Crash so much it left a tin like taste in my mouth. The only thing that could have made that movie more preachy, snooty, and obvious is if it were in French. Cronenberg's Crash is so much better.

Just Friends was disposable. Totally.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was moving along well until the rocking out session at the dance. That just ruined the whole franchise.

The rest I can agree with. Especially Munich, that was the best movie of last year.

Crash was the king of all suck for me. That and Ultraviolet.

The Chinese movie Election (not he Reese Witherspoon one) that came out last year was one of my favorites. The sequel will be at Cannes this year. That's gotta get a commie thumbs up no?

I'd also recommend Running Scared. That's a fun little movie and it goes by quick.

When Brick comes out where you are (it came out today if you're in NYC or LA) you should go see it. It's up there with the best neo-noir of the past 30 years (Chinatown, To Live and Die in LA, The Usual Suspects).

And Silent Hill. Hardcore geeks will salivate for centuries over this movie.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 01 Apr 2006 22:41

I disavow any knowledge of Eamon Angelfaces existence when he said Crash was bad. That was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. And I don't generally like movies with that type of overtone.

rick

Post by rick » 01 Apr 2006 23:50

Eamon Angelface wrote:When Brick comes out where you are (it came out today if you're in NYC or LA) you should go see it. It's up there with the best neo-noir of the past 30 years (Chinatown, To Live and Die in LA, The Usual Suspects).
Plus, it has LOSTie No-Longer-Fake-Prego-Claire in it... Emilie is teh hotsex squared.

Oh, and Shaft(original flavour) is there too, right?

Eamon Angelface

Post by Eamon Angelface » 02 Apr 2006 00:37

Yup he is.

The whole movie is amazing. I can't wait to own it on DVD. It's like...every time you watch a David Lynch movie and go...this is so good, if only it weren't trying so hard to be bizarre and just allowed the characters and surface text to take it where it has to go. Brick does that.

Per Mage and Crash: What can I say man? I really hated it. A lot. For every reason a movie can be hated.

doppletwo

Post by doppletwo » 02 Apr 2006 02:43

What is Crash preaching?

People who dislike it say it is preaching, but none of them have explained what is preaching.

Too me it contradicted it elf in every way and made no point at all. I thought it was an entertaining collectiion of scenes, that were tied together for extra dramatic effect.

Please explain to me what the moive preaches.

And a second question:

Does preachiness always ruin a work of art?

The Greek classics like Oedipus Rex are very preachy, but people seem to like them.
Last edited by doppletwo on 02 Apr 2006 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

AngelBaby

Post by AngelBaby » 02 Apr 2006 02:57

rick wrote:
Eamon Angelface wrote:When Brick comes out where you are (it came out today if you're in NYC or LA) you should go see it. It's up there with the best neo-noir of the past 30 years (Chinatown, To Live and Die in LA, The Usual Suspects).
Plus, it has LOSTie No-Longer-Fake-Prego-Claire in it... Emilie is teh hotsex squared.
<span style='color:blue'>I assume you've seen her in the remake of "The Hills Have Eyes"?

/bikini scene</span>

Eamon Angelface

Post by Eamon Angelface » 02 Apr 2006 04:01

doppletwo wrote:What is Crash preaching?

Stop racism mr. white man.

It's 1980's progressive thinking.

Crash was sired by the loins of antequated notions of so called racial equality through pointing every finger on every hand at the assumed ruling class of "the man" meaning white people.

It hammers that point home over and over and steers into the skid at every turn. Every character was every half wits idea of what people are which is defined by their race and that's not just wrong is damaging.

And the dialogue sucked balls like a turbo charged ball sucking machine.

inplainview

Post by inplainview » 02 Apr 2006 16:24

doppletwo wrote:Too me it contradicted it elf in every way and made no point at all. 
Eamon Angelface wrote:Stop racism mr. white man.
Somehow I gathered both of those feelings from the movie.

It felt like a haphazard gathering of scences, but with a black guy in the background saying "Don't judge me because I'm black,".

I'm sorry but who created and plays into the gold teeth, chrome spinners, "I'm cool cuz I'm a gansta" mentality?

Teh whities yo...

Yay racism.

doppletwo

Post by doppletwo » 03 Apr 2006 02:31

I thought it showed that racists are normal people too.

Usually racists are portrayed as very one dimensional. Their only dimension is that they are evil.

Matt Dillion's character was very well rounded.

Ryan Phillipe was justified when he shot Larenz Tate, if a hitchhiker goes is in his pocket and starts yelling at you, then it is ok to shoot him.

If there was any message at all it is more like "racism is very complicated".

What solution did it preach for stopping racism?
Last edited by doppletwo on 04 Apr 2006 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

rick

Post by rick » 03 Apr 2006 05:15

The latino/arab storyline was much more interesting to me than the white/black stuff, which has been covered a million times in a million different movies -- often as good or better than it was here.

I know a lot of people that were stunned when they thought the little girl bought it... and Deanna Troi was almost unrecognizable?!?

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 03 Apr 2006 10:34

<span style='color:maroon'>I'm pretty primed to see that one myself, but it probably isn't going to get to where I am for at least another month, if at all.

But personally, I can't imagine Mr. Lynch without the weirdness, although I'm fine with movies that are more like paintings than photographs.</span>

Eamon Angelface

Post by Eamon Angelface » 24 Jun 2006 04:35

<span style='color:red'>Yeah Brick was good. Good call by me. </span>

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 03 Jul 2006 20:45

New 10.

1 Click
2 Slither (heh)
3 The 3 burials of "insert filthy mexican name"
4. Over the Hedge
5. MI:3 (it could have been hell worse)

Yup. There wasnt even 10 decent films to rub together in the last 3 months. Hollywood has been fag.

inplainview

Post by inplainview » 17 Jul 2006 07:14

UncleMao wrote:New 10.

1 Click
2 Slither (heh)
3 The 3 burials of "insert filthy mexican name"
4. Over the Hedge
5. MI:3 (it could have been hell worse)

Yup. There wasnt even 10 decent films to rub together in the last 3 months. Hollywood has been fag.
Yeah whatever FUCK hollywood.

MORE MOVIES!!!111