NHL Rookie of the Year

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 29 Jan 2006 00:07

Ok, so go for it - who do you think is the front runner? Crosby or Ovechkin? Now, since I'm from the Caps area you would think I would be pulling for Ovechkin, right? I just don't see how several people, including sports writers, can consider giving it to him after that one amazing goal when he was on his ass, sliding towards the wall and did a one handed wrist shot upside down.

Personally, I think the hockey season is too long. :)

hugz4thugz

Post by hugz4thugz » 21 Mar 2006 01:01

Ovechkin will take the rookie of the year by a mile. One goal? Try 43 goals compared to Crosby's 31. and Ovechkins +2 to Crosbys -7 in +/-. I'm not even sure that Crosby is the second best rookie, I'm sort of leaning that title towards Marek Svatos of CO. And did you see how Ovechkin killed it in the Olympics. Shit if Crosby wins it it will be the biggest rob of the century.

You are right that the NHL season is too long. Any sport where half the teams make the playoffs doesnt need an 82 game schedule. but hockey playoffs are the best thing ever!

rick

Post by rick » 21 Mar 2006 07:25

Between Ovechkin and Crosby, I give it to Ovechkin -- but a lot can change in 15 games...

Honestly though, I'd rather see the Rangers goalie(Henrik Lundqvist) take it than either scoring phenom -- seeing as how he has had an amazing season not only for a rookie, but for a goalie in general AND has contributed to his team being an overwhelming success for the first time in ages (only team with less GA is Ottawa who are arguably the best team in the leauge).

No goalie has both more games and fewer losses (9 in 46) or more games and fewer GA (96).

He has the second best GAA in the league at just 2/100ths behind Hasek Lundqvist has the higher Save %. Highest in the league in fact amongst goalies with 30+ games played. I see no holes in this kids game.

Lundqvist > Ovechkin > Crosby, right now. But Lundqvist ain't gonna get it...

mikesisgod

Post by mikesisgod » 21 Mar 2006 13:10

rich rookie class.

i like jussi jokinen, but i'm partial to dallas.

imagine if a playmanker/passer like crosby was on the same line as a finisher like ovechkin.

JustSumDude

Post by JustSumDude » 24 Jun 2006 03:16

Alex Ovechkin.

I win.
Last edited by JustSumDude on 29 Jan 2024 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

inplainview

Post by inplainview » 17 Jul 2006 06:58

mikesisgod wrote:rich rookie class.

i like jussi jokinen, but i'm partial to dallas.

imagine if a playmanker/passer like crosby was on the same line as a finisher like ovechkin.
I'll agree with mike because he sounds like he knows what he's talking about.