Hell's Kitchen

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 03 Jul 2005 18:58

Huzzah! I'm starting a new thread outside the 'Guilty Pleasures' one!

So, my wife has the good ol' Tivo set to capture a few shows - House, Family Guy, Desperate Housewives, etc., etc. One of the few interesting ones that I've been suckered into watching with her is 'Hell's Kitchen'.

As far as reality shows go, it is pretty much the same as the others: Do a task, punish the failures, reward the winners. However, these freaks are all in competition to own their own restaraunt. And the master chef, Gordon Ramsay, curses like a salty old sailor. Reminds me of when I worked in a hotel.

Which is somewhat refreshing. Here is the 'star' of the show who isn't PC enough to call someone fat, fucking stupid, etc. And not just the contestants, he'll also rip into his own customers.

Any other watchers of this?

rick

Post by rick » 03 Jul 2005 23:44

I swore off all Fox reality TV after the debacle that was "My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss" ... so no, I haven't seen this... all I'm watching this summer thus far is "The Inside" and repeats of "Veronica Mars"

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 04 Jul 2005 18:31

Yet another reality TV format bought off Aussie Television.

In arseland, the show's called "My Restaurant Rules" where a couple from each state faces off for a chance at owning their own restaurant.

Other programs borrowed include "Dancing with the stars" and "Playing it straight"

This is NOT a good thing.

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 06 Jul 2005 00:23

Ah, great. Can't we Americans come up with any original television programming? Let's see...what have we ripped off:

All in the Family
Three's Company
American Idol
Friends

Any others out there? Are we so bereft of original ideas that all we can do is hope to score with failed Americanized versions of Coupling and the Office?

JustSumDude

Post by JustSumDude » 06 Jul 2005 08:50

<span style='font-family:tahoma'><span style='color:green'>Only an idiot gives a shit where a TV show "originally" came from. All that matters is if it's a good show, or a shit show.

I have not seen Hell's Kitchen.

I'm Batman.</span></span>

vanillachicana

Post by vanillachicana » 07 Jul 2005 01:24

puzzlehead wrote:Ah, great.  Can't we Americans come up with any original television programming?  Let's see...what have we ripped off:

All in the Family
Three's Company
American Idol
Friends

Any others out there?  Are we so bereft of original ideas that all we can do is hope to score with failed Americanized versions of Coupling and the Office?
Whose Line is it Anyway?

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 07 Jul 2005 06:26

Trading Spaces...

inplainview

Post by inplainview » 15 Jul 2005 12:42

I have sworn off all "reality" shows since survivor first came to be. I commend crazy chef guy for having balls enough to make people face reality, but thats about it.

As for originality...why have originality when popularity favors the copycats? It's true in all walks of life not just TV.

La_Descarada

Post by La_Descarada » 18 Jul 2005 00:06

I like this show. Mainly because the chef yells at them and treats them like dirt.

But it's funny to see how the chef reacts to customers who come to dine in the restaurant.

Although I'm kinda iffy about whether or not he really talks to customers like that.

Wasn't too happy about that hot chick from the beginning being kicked off. She had a pretty face and was pretty hot. The one who didn't have any experience but made the "Chicken Parmesan" that was...decent.

I hated that Dewberry guy. He was so gay. Literally.

Unfortunately I've been naughty and have missed the last few episodes. But a new one is coming out tommorrow!

fishguy

Post by fishguy » 16 Oct 2005 14:57

I thought it was a rip-off of the British "Hell's Kitchen," which was populated with B-list celebrities and won by the gorgeous Jennifer Ellison (Justin may like her).

Also, the British Coupling was a rip-off of Friends, as was Cold Feet (loosely).