The war on Terror

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 18 Jul 2005 13:55

What are your thoughts on global imperatives in the war on Terror and the sending of troops into Iraq and Afghanistan. Is the world doing the right thing or are the measures taken doing more harm than good.

Are the leaders of the first world on the right track? Your thoughts. What do you think Al Qaeda and other terrorist networks are really trying to achieve with their acts of brutality?

Your thoughts?

Phife

Post by Phife » 18 Jul 2005 14:27

The war on terror is going quite badly.

Why?

Because attackign the countries that aid and give comfort to suspected terrorists breeds new terrorists. Its a lose-lose for the US and the other nations involved. They lose troops and in the mean time help the opposition by giving them convincing reasons to bring in new zealots, ie. the killing of innocents in "war zones."

Should this war on terror be fought? That's a different question...but all I know for sure is that it is not going well...

Dere33

Post by Dere33 » 19 Jul 2005 03:05

The problem with this question is there are two very convincing arguments.

On the one hand there is the "terrorism breeds terrorism" argument. This argument is entirely valid and can be observed anytime an idealogy is attacked. Yet, this argument can be outweighed looking at a larger and more global scale.

For too long the moder world has met our demands with disbelief and indifference. Already the wheels are in motion when a US/UN/UK backed demand comes to surface to satisify the demands or be met with the type of regime change retrobution observed in Iraq.

So really it comes down to which side you weigh more: the local short term effects; or more global longterm.

Its my opnion that the long term effects are the more important of the two and we are indeed winning against global terrorism and oppression.
Last edited by Dere33 on 19 Jul 2005 03:06, edited 1 time in total.

Dex

Post by Dex » 20 Jul 2005 00:35

I hate America.

I'm gonna move to Brunei and live with the monkeys :D
Last edited by Dex on 20 Jul 2005 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

rick

Post by rick » 20 Jul 2005 04:38

UncleMao wrote:What do you think Al Qaeda and other terrorist networks are really trying to achieve with their acts of brutality?
My gut tells me that the "acts of brutality" performed by terrorists are a rally call of sorts to their cause... because I cannot think of any other logical gain...

Phife

Post by Phife » 20 Jul 2005 13:37

rick wrote:
UncleMao wrote:What do you think Al Qaeda and other terrorist networks are really trying to achieve with their acts of brutality?
My gut tells me that the "acts of brutality" performed by terrorists are a rally call of sorts to their cause... because I cannot think of any other logical gain...
Agreed. Its all about power and money. The leaders get more of both the more they convince their hench(wo)men to kill themselves for Allah. We step on people as we climb the corporate ladder, they (Islamic fundamentalists) kill people...

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 22 Jul 2005 01:06

New london bombings today.

Fortunately thus far, no casualties.

Phife

Post by Phife » 22 Jul 2005 03:44

One injury reported...but not from the explosions...from being trampled as people exited the tube...

Smash

Post by Smash » 22 Jul 2005 07:44

rick wrote:

My gut tells me you should stop using the Avatar of Suzi that Matt used, creep.

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 22 Jul 2005 08:33

I declare Jihad on Rick for being a lame.

rick

Post by rick » 22 Jul 2005 11:25

Smash wrote:
rick wrote:

My gut tells me you should stop using the Avatar of Suzi that Matt used, creep.
Who the fuck is Matt?

steampunk

Post by steampunk » 23 Jul 2005 00:08

Interesting response from your PM, John Howard, when asked by a reporter (paraphrasing), "were the bombings payback for invading Iraq?"
PRIME MIN. HOWARD: Could I start by saying the prime minister and I were having a discussion when we heard about it. My first reaction was to get some more information. And I really don't want to add to what the prime minister has said. It's a matter for the police and a matter for the British authorities to talk in detail about what has happened here.

Can I just say very directly, Paul, on the issue of the policies of my government and indeed the policies of the British and American governments on Iraq, that the first point of reference is that once a country allows its foreign policy to be determined by terrorism, it's given the game away, to use the vernacular. And no Australian government that I lead will ever have policies determined by terrorism or terrorist threats, and no self-respecting government of any political stripe in Australia would allow that to happen.

Can I remind you that the murder of 88 Australians in Bali took place before the operation in Iraq.

And I remind you that the 11th of September occurred before the operation in Iraq.

Can I also remind you that the very first occasion that bin Laden specifically referred to Australia was in the context of Australia's involvement in liberating the people of East Timor. Are people by implication suggesting we shouldn't have done that?

When a group claimed responsibility on the website for the attacks on the 7th of July, they talked about British policy not just in Iraq, but in Afghanistan. Are people suggesting we shouldn't be in Afghanistan?

When Sergio de Mello was murdered in Iraq -- a brave man, a distinguished international diplomat, a person immensely respected for his work in the United Nations -- when al Qaeda gloated about that, they referred specifically to the role that de Mello had carried out in East Timor because he was the United Nations administrator in East Timor.

Now I don't know the mind of the terrorists. By definition, you can't put yourself in the mind of a successful suicide bomber. I can only look at objective facts, and the objective facts are as I've cited. The objective evidence is that Australia was a terrorist target long before the operation in Iraq. And indeed, all the evidence, as distinct from the suppositions, suggests to me that this is about hatred of a way of life, this is about the perverted use of principles of the great world religion that, at its root, preaches peace and cooperation. And I think we lose sight of the challenge we have if we allow ourselves to see these attacks in the context of particular circumstances rather than the abuse through a perverted ideology of people and their murder.

Black Angel

Post by Black Angel » 23 Jul 2005 19:14

The causes of this terror is Plain and simple: Double Standards by the West. And interfering in the internal matters of other countries.

This is just the begining. Also it does not help that what happened in Iraq was just plain wrong, and the people in large parts of Asia, Africa and even Latin America see it as Colonialism by the back Door.

Look at the cause of terrorism, ask the question why and you will get you answer: That this war on Terror is a big Fuckup !

AngelBaby

Post by AngelBaby » 23 Jul 2005 22:31

Black Angel wrote:The causes of this terror is Plain and simple: Double Standards by the West. And interfering in the internal matters of other countries.
<span style='color:blue'>Dumbest thing said in this thread thus far... <_< </span>

Dere33

Post by Dere33 » 24 Jul 2005 03:46

Black Angel wrote:The causes of this terror is Plain and simple: Double Standards by the West. And interfering in the internal matters of other countries.

This is just the begining. Also it does not help that what happened in Iraq was just plain wrong, and the people in large parts of Asia, Africa and even Latin America see it as Colonialism by the back Door.

Look at the cause of terrorism, ask the question why and you will get you answer: That this war on Terror is a big Fuckup !

Double Standards? You are one dumb motha fucker. Name me ONE double standard that the US has imposed upon another country in the middle east! Just one. (Dumbasses always misuse the asian eco treaty argument as a point for their own; and even then we didnt' impose our own policy on other countries, just opted out of a new eco treaty - STOP JUST REPEATING WHATEVER THE FUCK THE KIDS AT THE GREEN PEACE RALLIES ARE SAYING)

'interfering' with internal matters of other, less developed, and unstable countries is the right of any superpower and should continue to be.

What you do in your country is your business and thats fine. But if what you're doing in your country is going to harm the citizens of mine or our breathren, even to the xth degree, then by damn your business just became my business. Rural war lords are a dangerous thing and anytime they continue to act inhumanly, they must be eliminated.

What happend in Iraq? Honestly, out side of propaganda used by creative minds against economic globalization( and the stupid shits that hear it, don't understand it, and just repeat it over and over ), the only problem anyone has with the war in iraq is the misdirection or lack of hard proof the British PM and American President used to invade.
Its not what happend in Iraq, its what happend out side.

Asia, Africa, Latin America? Do you even know the prevailing bodies of government in these areas? Asia is a pool of hard workers just waiting for a leader to mobilize the region. Africa is a bunch of war lords that have found the means to take power while the country is in termoil and massive strife over viruses. And latin america??? What latin American country would even think about turning the atention of the US Government south? Hell, they LOVE the fact we are in the middle east.

Dude, open a feckin newspaper once in a while. Jesus h. christ.

PS: It was actually a pretty good discussion prior to shit for brains. Please continue: Speaking of Ron Howard's response to "Were the bombings payback for invading iraq.