XM radio

vanillachicana

Post by vanillachicana » 30 Jun 2005 02:03

My new husband bought XM when he got his (our) Prius in October. I really like Cinemagic, which is a compilation of songs and spoken scenes from movies. The first few channels, 4-9 are decades, the number corresponds to the decade (4 is forties, 5 fifties, and so on). Although there's a lot of music that I don't listen to, I like the selection and the fact that it's commerical free. Does anyone on here have XM? Are there good channels I haven't found?

Smash

Post by Smash » 30 Jun 2005 02:54

vanillachicana wrote:My new husband bought XM when he got his (our) Prius in October.  I really like Cinemagic, which is a compilation of songs and spoken scenes from movies.  The first few channels, 4-9 are decades, the number corresponds to the decade (4 is forties, 5 fifties, and so on).  Although there's a lot of music that I don't listen to, I like the selection and the fact that it's commerical free.  Does anyone on here have XM?  Are there good channels I haven't found?

OMG you got married?!??!?!?!!??!!?

Congratulations Vanillacopacabana. Is it the hearing dude? Congrats!

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 30 Jun 2005 03:27

Oh, wow...I was about to say 'You got a Prius?!?!', but I guess the marriage thing IS bigger news. Congrats!

My wife and I are still debating over XM vs. Sirius.

steampunk

Post by steampunk » 30 Jun 2005 03:36

You probably already know about Stern and Sirius, if that sways your decision...

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 30 Jun 2005 06:28

steampunk wrote:You probably already know about Stern and Sirius, if that sways your decision...
Sways for or against Sirius? ;) Not a big Stern fan (sirius). Or Opie and Anthony (XM). I suppose the biggest problem that I have to wrap my head around with regards to Sirius is whether or not they'll stay solvent over the upcoming years.

Having said that, I had the opportunity to take a long trip with a friend who had XM and it was a very enjoyable experience. I enjoyed Highway 16 (XM 16) which is country as well as BPM (XM 81), which is 'club dance music' and 80 which is electronica. Just for kicks, you may also want to try 75, 'The Voice of Music at Starbucks'.

Smash

Post by Smash » 30 Jun 2005 07:16

puzzlehead wrote:
steampunk wrote:You probably already know about Stern and Sirius, if that sways your decision...
Sways for or against Sirius? ;) Not a big Stern fan (sirius). Or Opie and Anthony (XM). I suppose the biggest problem that I have to wrap my head around with regards to Sirius is whether or not they'll stay solvent over the upcoming years.

Having said that, I had the opportunity to take a long trip with a friend who had XM and it was a very enjoyable experience. I enjoyed Highway 16 (XM 16) which is country as well as BPM (XM 81), which is 'club dance music' and 80 which is electronica. Just for kicks, you may also want to try 75, 'The Voice of Music at Starbucks'.

With Stern driving sales and Mel Karmazan at the helm, I think Sirius is a safe bet to stay solvent for a while.

Wonderyak

Post by Wonderyak » 30 Jun 2005 07:47

I have Sirius, and am not a Stern fan at all. There are some interesting morning shows that make my commute a little easier (like the Radio Chick Show), but as a whole I like it for having all of the NFL, NHL and NBA games on. They even offer both team's hometown broadcasts.

Smash

Post by Smash » 05 Apr 2006 03:51

revisted topic. Anyone catch how poorly XM is doing? Millions of dollars in ad campaign for years end...resulted in a dirth of sales.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 05 Apr 2006 10:08

Is it that big of surprise? First you have the Itunes, Napster, whatever that allow people to create their own playlists or music (or the Podcasts). Secondly, in my experience, people still assume that XM is for the car. Until they start advertising that its also available for the home, they're going to have a very difficult time getting sales up.

Personally, I like XM. I think the whole idea is great due to the exposure it gives music. Especially in a world that plays only whats popular on FM, its a nice breather to hear everything thats out there.. it also helps me decide in what CD's I'm gonna buy next.

Smash

Post by Smash » 05 Apr 2006 22:52

BlackMage wrote:Is it that big of surprise? First you have the Itunes, Napster, whatever that allow people to create their own playlists or music (or the Podcasts). Secondly, in my experience, people still assume that XM is for the car. Until they start advertising that its also available for the home, they're going to have a very difficult time getting sales up.

Personally, I like XM. I think the whole idea is great due to the exposure it gives music. Especially in a world that plays only whats popular on FM, its a nice breather to hear everything thats out there.. it also helps me decide in what CD's I'm gonna buy next.

Nah you missed the subtle underpoint. Sirius (Stern radio, new home of playboy radio, football radio) is skyrocketing in subscription. It's just XM going ka-bust.

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » 06 Apr 2006 00:57

Very good point. XM needs a controversial radio personality. Or find another company to merge with, bringing them out of this rut they're in.

joegyva

Post by joegyva » 14 Apr 2006 01:50

They put tons of add dollars to go against Sirius and Stern and that did not pay off at all. One of the heads of XM actually resigned citing "serious financial crisis" on the horizon. I have heard that if you try to cancell your XM subscription and tell them you are switching to Sirius, they will let you stay on at 3 dollars a month for 8 months. Why don't some of you XM subscribers try that to save a few bucks?

Eamon Angelface

Post by Eamon Angelface » 24 Jun 2006 04:33

<span style='color:red'>Yeah that guy's right.</span>

inplainview

Post by inplainview » 17 Jul 2006 07:41

I have sirius.

It's worth the money for me.