Bad news?

This is where all the posts that appeared on the old front page (June '04 - January '05) are stored (back when the site was run using IPB Portal).
Justin

Post by Justin » 15 Jul 2004 12:27

Not sure if everybody knows but there's a current RIAA-ish crackdown on hi res images on the net right now. So hi res pics might probably be a little harder to come by.

See, one of the best sources for hi res pics (dainews.nu) was hit with a copyright infringement notice from lawyers.

Apparently this all started when some eBay user was selling some Jessica Alba photos with the Dai watermark removed in an auction. A member on Dai's site decided to bid on a pic and then back out at the last minute - questioning the legitimacy of the work. Whoever the seller was is also a member at Dai's site because the guy that bid on the pic outed the seller in an e-mail by their screen name. The seller then had all his auctions terminated when the good samaritan reported him. The seller then reported Dainews to the company that legally owns these hi res pic so as to kill source material from getting on Dainews.

It was MediaVast that issued out the cease and desist letter. Mediavast is also affiliated with WireImage, FilmMagic, Contour Photos and WireImageSTOCK. All sources of hi res pictures on the net.

MediaVast is also slowly going after other sites that are distributing these hi res pics. See, they don't want people sharing these hi res pics anymore. At least not for free. And definitely not for a price on any other site besides their own.

WireImage, for example, charges something like $79.95/month for access to their entire archive of pics. By having other people share those hi res pics outside of their site, they're pretty much losing money that way.

Take a look at the message <A HREF="http://desperado.graphicsnxs.com/" target="_blank">Desperado</A> put on his site:

<i>"As of today, this site will no longer offer HQ type pictures. There are too many potential problems going on these days, and we do not need them. This site is free; let's keep it that way. From this point on only caps, collages, scans, etc. will fill these pages.

Remember, unless it is a vidcap or some other non HQ image, it will no longer appear on this site."</i>

So what does this all mean? Well, as you all probably know, i LOVE posting hi res pics on fubar. I don't know if i'll still be posting them up as much, seeing as to how they *might* be harder to find, but i also wouldn't want any trouble from lawyers and crap. Not that they would ever come for me but hey, you never know.

Anyhow, it's still too early to tell what's gonna happen. Maybe things'll change, maybe they won't. We'll just have to see. After all, people are still sharing MP3's like crazy aren't they?
Last edited by Justin on 04 Dec 2004 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

dryden

Post by dryden » 15 Jul 2004 12:31

Well that fucking sucks.
Maybe someone's just pissed that movies, music, and whatever else is out there is still being shared about, and now they are just attacking pictures. Damn losers.

I really enjoy the high quality pictures. But I wouldn't want this site to get shut down either.

Is that also why the site was shut down for a day or two?

mitchevious

Post by mitchevious » 15 Jul 2004 12:33

i like avril, i really do. but having those same 4 pictures up for 3 days is not a good time.

fight the powa!

vhw

Post by vhw » 15 Jul 2004 12:38

fuck it!

So it's not a "usa only" related thing? That's BS, man.

Time to join newsgroups, i guess :(

Eric

Post by Eric » 15 Jul 2004 12:39

woo glad fubar is back

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet » 15 Jul 2004 12:39

Give it a few months and things will eventually simmer down again. People tend to freak out for a while and then forget about it.

I will miss the absence of pore pics though. :weep:

dryden

Post by dryden » 15 Jul 2004 12:40

Yes, the pore pics were amazing.
"Were". Fuck. They still are amazing.

AtraTraceur

Post by AtraTraceur » 15 Jul 2004 12:44

:veryangry: I find is utter and complete bullshit. It's freaking pictures for God's sakes and their they want people to pay &#036;80 no wonder people are ripping pics off that site to spread around their assholes!!! Now if they charged reasonably I'm sure this whole deal would of have been cleared up...

deedas

Post by deedas » 15 Jul 2004 12:54

This bites! Makes me wanna be a fucking paparazzi now and publish my own fucking high res pics for all to see.

Greedy mother fuckers.

Heathen

Post by Heathen » 15 Jul 2004 13:03

FUCK. And here I thought the Nazis lost the war.

Like RIAA, MediaVast is another cog in the North American fascist machine. Periodically seeing hi-res pics of Avril is the only thing that maintains my sanity. See, if people weren't motivated by greed we wouldn't be robbed of free pictures, as I'm sure we will be if this whole crackdown materializes.

FUCK.

banky

Post by banky » 15 Jul 2004 13:07

This would be a difficult thing to enforce. There are just too many sites that can host these pics. It's not like mp3's where most of the file swapping takes place on a P2P program like kazaa.

Unless you are actually selling the "copyrighted" hi-res images on ebay....I don't see it being a big, immediate problem for now. There are just way too many sites out there that can distribute them for free. Cracking down on all of them would be unrealistic.

Creepy Bob

Post by Creepy Bob » 15 Jul 2004 13:12

It's only logical. We don't see it from their side. If you went through all the trouble of doing this just to have someone take the pictures and reap all the benefits, wouldn't you be pissed too. Some of these people bitching on here sound like they are ten. Im sorry maybe I see it like that cause I like to take pictures. I want to find a way to digitally sign my pictures too.

heineken

Post by heineken » 15 Jul 2004 13:13

banky wrote: This would be a difficult thing to enforce. There are just too many sites that can host these pics. It's not like mp3's where most of the file swapping takes place on a P2P program like kazaa.

Unless you are&nbsp; actually selling the "copyrighted"&nbsp; hi-res images on ebay....I don't see it being a big, immediate problem for now. There are just way too many sites out there that can distribute them for free. Cracking down on all of them would be unrealistic.
I don't know, this was posted as an announcement on a celeb board which thrives on High Res pics...
Upon request please do not upload or post any Capital Pictures' (www.capitalpictures.com) or MediaVast's (www.wireimage.com, www.filmmagic.com, www.contourphotos.com) copyright photographs.

If you think that there are any posted here please report the thread to get them removed as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help.
People dont wanna get sued, so much like when Playboy calls to tell you not to share their pictures, most sites are going to respect their demands.

Rivers

Post by Rivers » 15 Jul 2004 13:31

I must say how gay this is. These are pictures! These are no mp3s or movies. They are pictures! People are not burning them and then playing them in their cars and burning copies for people. These are good looking pictures. Pictures! shit whats next, we are going to sue any person that says any famous persons name. These are just high rez pictures. People need to quite being so fucking dumb. Next thing will be me getting sued for reading the tabloids in line and not buying them becuase they are not making enough money. EAT SHIT YOU DOUCHEY SUE CRAZY FUCKERS!

kvl

Post by kvl » 15 Jul 2004 13:44

I think P2P image sharing is about to get alot more popular.