Oh Happy Day

This is where all the posts that appeared on the old front page (June '04 - January '05) are stored (back when the site was run using IPB Portal).
Justin

Post by Justin » 23 Jul 2004 10:39

Got my copies of The Ultimate Versus and 2LDK in the mail today. Which is fucking awesome because i only placed my order like 4 days ago. Usually it takes about a week from the day that i pay to the day that the stuff finally arrives.

I never did mention 2LDK in my last movie post did i? It's another Japanese flick and it's part of this Duel Project that this one guy had with Ryuhei Kitamura (the guy who made Versus).

Imagine, if you will, two Japanese directors who meet at a film festival, each familiar with (and appreciative of) each other’s work. Then imagine a night of binge drinking that leads to the gauntlet being thrown down - a little friendly competition to see who can make the best “Duel to the Death” film. Then throw in a few rules like 1) The script can contain no more than 2-3 characters 2) The film must be shot in seven days and on a small budget 3) the film can only take place in one setting, and most importantly 4) at least one character must die. Thus, the Duel Project was born.

More details about the Duel Project <A HREF="http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/feature.php?feature=988" target="_blank">over here</a>.

I haven't actually seen 2LDK yet, but i do have Aragami on DVD (the other Duel Project movie; Kitamura's, and it's fucking great)

Here's a short synopsis/review of 2LDK from some <A HREF="http://www.livejournal.com/community/ja ... 37263.html" target="_blank">livejournal</a> i found.

"2LDK, in Japan, refers to an apartment with two bedrooms, and a living, dining, kitchen. The whole movie takes place within the confines of one apartment and only involves two actresses (as per the rules of the Duel Project). They play actresses in the movie as well, competing with each other for the lead role in a film while being roommates together. As their evening in the apartement goes on, they find themselves fighting each other in bloody and ultraviolent fashion. At times it was difficult to watch them tear each others lovely faces apart, but powerful at the same time. Chainsaws, electrical appliances, swords - all used as they duel each other... It was awesome!"

And here's an excerpt of a review from <A HREF="http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=4497" target="_blank">Film Threat</a>:

"There’s black comedy and then there’s just plain sadistic. Yukihiko Tsutsumi’s “2LDK” is surely on the side of the latter. This little puppy is about as sick and twisted, and yet disturbingly hilarious, as any movie in recent memory. Think of it as a cross between“American Psycho” and that Miller Lite commercial where the two girls… oh I’m sure you remember. Throw in just a tad of “Tom and Jerry” cartoonishness, and you’ve got the cat fight to end all cat fights. The “Apocalypse Now” of cat fights, if you will. Two girls. One apartment. Zero patience."

Mmm cat fight. Meow!

Speaking of cat fights. Is anybody actually going to see Catwoman tomorrow? May God have mercy on your soul.

Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see how it does at the box office come Monday. Me, i'm going to see The Bourne Supremacy. I already have a free ticket from the double dipped DVD that i bought (which i'll probably sell off because it's a fucking weak double dip).

Anyway, yeah, so i haven't been giving the front page much love lately. Been busy with school and stuff. I had to go out and shoot some footage for this commercial that we were supposed to hand in on Wednesday (yesterday). Shot about 20 minutes of raw footage on Monday, for a commercial that's only supposed to be 60 seconds long. And i spent the next two days editing the hell out of the thing and i gotta say, it came out pretty good. Fucking 66 shots in 60 seconds. I had 3 pages of storyboards for a commercial that's supposed to be 60 seconds long and had a minimum requirement of just 10 camera angles. If i don't get an A for it, then there's no justice in the world (i got an A+ for my last video assignment. oh, it's all for a Small Format Video class by the way).

My commercial was for Apple's Final Cut Pro product. Although it wasn't very Apple-like. It's more like one of those Geico commercials where you have absolutely no fucking idea what it's all about until you hear the punchline at the end. I love those Geico commercials.

"...but the good news is i just saved a whole buncha money on my car insurance using Geico!"

I won't bother to tell you what actually happens in my commercial but just like the Duel Project, mine only has 2 people in it and it all takes place in one location. And i'd probably put it under the suspense/comedy genre. I guess that's where those 66 cuts went; towards the suspense side of things.

Ahh... quick cutting MTV visuals.

And hey, i also managed to throw in a couple of Raimi-esque extreme closeup zooms.

Mmm... homage-y goodness.

I'd probably post up the commercial but i'm actually in the damn thing (i have one line) and fuck if i'm gonna show you how bad my 'acting' was.

How i managed to fuck up pretending to drink a bowl of soup is beyond me.

Suspense/Comedy? 66 shots in 60 seconds? Sam Raimi? See, i told you it wasn't very <A HREF="http://apple.com" target="_blank">Apple</A>. The actual Apple product that i was advertising? <A HREF="http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/" target="_blank">Final Cut Pro HD</A>

Oh and don't worry. My next post will actually have babes and pictures in it. But for now, it's time to watch The Ultimate Versus.

ps: i also bought ESPN NFL 2K5 for xbox today. i suck at it but hey, if you've got Live, add Psykotik 2000 to your buddylist and maybe i'll let you rape my ass or something.
Last edited by Justin on 04 Dec 2004 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

kastofsna

Post by kastofsna » 23 Jul 2004 10:54

x-box is lame.

didnt read the rest of your post, so no comment. whatever

Justin

Post by Justin » 23 Jul 2004 10:57

then why bother commenting at all? and you signed up JUST so you can say xbox is lame? no. YOU are lame.

BANNED!!!!!!!!!

who's next?
Last edited by Justin on 23 Jul 2004 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

davidw00t

Post by davidw00t » 23 Jul 2004 11:02

I admit, I used to think the X-box was lame (I still like Half-life better than Halo) but it's pretty much replaced the PS2 nowadays. Most good games that are out on the PS2 are out on the x-box. And a lot of good games that are on the x-box aren't on the PS2. Plus, the graphics are better and I like the controller better. Anyways, the whole Duel Project thing sounds pretty cool.
Last edited by davidw00t on 23 Jul 2004 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

Rivers

Post by Rivers » 23 Jul 2004 11:06

I am a fan of the X-Box. With game like Halo 2, the new Half-life and Doom 3, you have to like it. That and I love x-box live because you can talk shit while playing against people online. Now on Cat woman, thats pretty Durt Magurt. I have never really been a fan of the Cat Woman movie since I saw the preview. But I will be seeing the new Bourne movie. Thats going to be tight. That and the village.
Rock on Justin!

Justin

Post by Justin » 23 Jul 2004 11:10

yeah i thought the xbox wasn't all that either. until i finally bought one. i havent touched my PS2 or GC since i got my xbox in april.

ruprechtjones

Post by ruprechtjones » 23 Jul 2004 11:12

Okay pal, I'm next. 1- your front page html seems a little fucked up. A couple paragraphs are appearing as one giant link. 2- Thanks for the info on Vs., I'm definately going to buy this shit. I love cinematic challenges like this. 3- POST YOUR 60-SEC COMMERCIAL! I don't give a rat's ass about how bad your acting is, I wanna check out how the edit looks. This is the first really interesting thing I've read on fubar since the whole Libby Hoeler debacle. Yeah, so what, I've waited this long to register. Lurking is fun.

rup

edit - Damn nevermind about the frontpage html, either it was my Safari fucking it up or you dived in and fixed a tag. Move along. However, points 2 and 3 still stand.
Last edited by ruprechtjones on 23 Jul 2004 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Justin

Post by Justin » 23 Jul 2004 11:15

the html is fine. and no i'm not posting the commercial!

and actually, aragami (and 2ldk) is the cinematic challenge. versus wasnt part of the duel project.
Last edited by Justin on 23 Jul 2004 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

ruprechtjones

Post by ruprechtjones » 23 Jul 2004 11:26

Thanks for the semantic update. I knew that, just typed it out quickly and wrongly and stuff.
Okay, how about this, post your assignment, but everywhere you appear, just swap your head for Avril's. It'll be a laugh. If you need After Effects help, let me know.

btw, did you do this job in FCP?

BizzLe

Post by BizzLe » 23 Jul 2004 11:41

XBox is the better system, it has better graphics, better fps games (the only truly good games on consoles), free memory (50 megs built-in), and because of the hard drive and memory, the xbox loads games much faster than the other two systems, especially the ps2, which is a piece of garbage.

Concerning online games, The halflife games (Day of Defeat and Counterstrike in particular) kill everything on the consoles, including Halo on xbox live, which is very good. Dont even bother arguing...
Last edited by BizzLe on 23 Jul 2004 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

HuAsTeKo

Post by HuAsTeKo » 23 Jul 2004 11:42

I'm agree with you about the Versus Movie. I saw this movie last moth (I found it in a local cd/dvd store) and I got stuck with the japanese film style. And the DVD contains other movie trailers, some of them sucks. It's good to know that I'n not the only one who likes this kind of movies. I'll be searching for the "Duel Project" movies, but I think that will be very difficult to find them here in Mexico...

Justin

Post by Justin » 23 Jul 2004 11:47

ruprechtjones wrote: btw, did you do this job in FCP?
yeah i used final cut pro 3 on my powerbook. we have final cut pro HD over at the editing lab in school though.

here's a picture of me while i was working on the editing:

ruprechtjones

Post by ruprechtjones » 23 Jul 2004 12:01

God damn Justin, put on some make-up whilst abusing that Powerbook! And you know those "so-cool" spiked leather wristlets will really cut into the resale value of that computer. Man that just crushes me.
No comment on the X-Box, my theory is to make way more money from Microsoft than they can get from me. So far I've paid for an MS mouse for my G5. Ruprecht comes out ahead!

rup

davidw00t

Post by davidw00t » 23 Jul 2004 12:04

I agree with you Bizzle. The Team Fortress Classic mod was also fun, but I still think Day of Defeat and Counter-strike kick more ass. Half-life for life!

BTW, you mean Halo for x-box connect, not live, right? Half-life mods are better online because you can join a server and stay there all day... plus they hold 32 people, as opposed to Halo's 16 (which can still only be achieved by 4 x-boxes with 4 people on each on x-box connect, which is a lot harder than finding a HL server with over 20 people). Thats nothing that you don't know, though.
Last edited by davidw00t on 23 Jul 2004 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

Justin

Post by Justin » 23 Jul 2004 12:10

i cant stand the one button apple mice. i use a 5 button microsoft intellimouse.

you can't see it in the pics though.