What are you reading at the moment?

Shoot the shit.
gulliver

What are you reading at the moment?

Post by gulliver » 19 Mar 2010 16:30

I'm currently reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. After an indifferent start I'm enjoying it now. I haven't read a book in about 8 months, the last one being Duma Key by Stephen King.

Anyway, what are ye fellow DLT'ers reading? Any Recommendations?

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by AngelBaby » 20 Mar 2010 01:43

Currently reading 'The Varieties of Scientific Experience' by Carl Sagan.

Thought-provoking stuff.

psyper

Post by psyper » 24 Mar 2010 11:07

I tend to have trouble sleeping at night and found that reading a book can settle my mind in a way I can get to sleep. I'm a very very slow reader so it takes me some time to get through a novel. That plus my shifts mean that I might not read for a couple of weeks at a time.

I'm currently reading darwin's children by greg bear - I'm not really enjoying it all that much but its the 2nd book to a book I read years ago and I want to see what happens so I'm forcing myself through it.

Last book I really enjoyed (two books ago) was pushing ice by Alastair Reynolds - really well thought out sci-fi book. I'm planning on reading his Revelation Space universe books - series of books all based on the same universe he created. I'm planning to read them in chronological order rather than publish order as some of the characters in one book reappears in others so it'll be interesting to see how that developed timeline wise.

If you're looking for a series of novels the seven books of Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Andersonwas a real page turner - I managed to read the first one while on holiday in florida - plenty of poolside time! The rest of the books I managed over a span of 3 years!!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

smash

Post by smash » 25 Mar 2010 23:21

Stephen King's "Under the Dome" just showed up yesterday. I plan on starting in on it this weekend.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 06 Aug 2010 06:41

Back reading Lord of the Rings again. 3rd time :(

Last few books I've read were both by Cormac Mc Carthy. Blood Meridian and The Road. Both intriguing and horrifying in equal measure. I wanted to read Shutter Island but then saw the film so I didn't bother. I've heard good things about The Cold Six Thousand by James Ellroy and Leviathan by Paul Auster so I might pick those up and come back to LOTR.

smash

Post by smash » 06 Aug 2010 10:39

smash wrote:Stephen King's "Under the Dome" just showed up yesterday. I plan on starting in on it this weekend.

Clearly, I lied. Not only have I not started reading it...I forgot I had it.