This title was driving me nuts with its being really bad

Shoot the shit.
Seriously

This title was driving me nuts with its being really bad

Post by Seriously » 15 Jul 2007 12:01

So let's talk about weird urges you have to suppress to retain social acceptaince.

i.e. (do I use that right? Is it e.g.?)

-Whenever I sat behind a girl with her hair in a ponytail, I always had to maintain CONSTANT VIGILANCE (btw no spoilers please lest you be a dick) so I didn't start playing with it (the pony tail), as it is one of my favorite things to play with a girl's hair.

Like, I did it a couple of times before I could catch myself but I always managed to play it off. It was pretty much a compulsion.

-When ever I am at a place where the rules of engagement are well-known and universal it feels like I am in greater danger of fucking up.
To whit: When I was at my best friend's grandfather's funeral I had a horrible fucking urge to spit on the corpse, because the idea that an action so inconsequential as spitting could in context have such huge consequences held a terrible fascination for me. It was hypnotic.

I didn't do it, thank Whomever.

I could think of more, but I'm operating under a time constraint and I think the examples I gave run the gamut of innocous to extreme well enough, you should have the idea, so...

Take it, _________

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 15 Jul 2007 12:17

Hmm...despite my best efforts I could not come up with anything that fits this category, other than the probably typical desire to ram my Honda into the back of cars that slowpoke in the left-hand lane on the interstate. :x

I swear, if I had 007-style headlight machineguns there would be a bloody swath of automotive destruction on southern highways in the decade or so that I've been a licensed driver.

smash

Post by smash » 15 Jul 2007 18:48

I thought Korean women were supposed to be the worst drivers... :P

I had a friend who always had an urge to lick the ashtrays in restaurants...I mean the part with the ashes in them.

I can't think of anything that I have like this...though I will try and look for any of these habits over the next few days.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 15 Jul 2007 20:39

I do have that slightly OCD compulsion to put things at right angles on my desk (and other people's desk).

Also If I am sitting infront of a tray of paper clips, I have to connect them all. People get so pissed off at me cos they reach for a paper clip they pull out this massive necklace.

I'm a very fidgety kinda guy, which stems from my Tremor condition where I just have to keep some part of my body moving (fingers, toes whatever, it helps me focus).

On a more animalistic level, there is a girl who works in my office who is a Halle Berry lookalike, and she wears the tightest clothing ever, and by god the amount of time she's come over to look out the window and just put her tight curvy denim wrapped booty in my face, it's taken every ounce of strength in my body not to bite into it :unsure:

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 15 Jul 2007 22:19

smash wrote:I can't think of anything that I have like this...though I will try and look for any of these habits over the next few days.
I would've sworn you had something like the nearly uncontrollable urge to squeeze a particularly pert, firm, well-rounded female butt if it were say standing right in front of you in a line for an extended period of time. :halo:

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 15 Jul 2007 22:25

efilflah wrote:
I'm a very fidgety kinda guy, which stems from my Tremor condition where I just have to keep some part of my body moving (fingers, toes whatever, it helps me focus).

I do something kind of similar, in that I have to rub my fingers together symmetrically, such that each one gets touched twice on every side: once rubbing left and once rubbing right.

But I never get it exactly right so I have to keep doing it until I can distract myself.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 16 Jul 2007 03:02

Well what I have is diagnosed "Essential/Familial tremor".

On a very small scale my muscles are in a state of constant movement, my neck, my eyes, my fingers....most noticeably in my fingers and hands. They usually only flare up noticeably if my hands are in a specific position (wrapped around a mouse its not a problem, but when I'm trying to do acute tasks like doing up my shirt buttons, it can get annoying).

It's a pain in the ass, and if I even try to stay still or focus on 1 thing for too long, it gets worse. So ironically the best way for me to deal with it, is to keep moving something, like my fingers, or feet, and it becomes less of a nuisance.

It also causes these minor spasms rarely where I overshoot something because my muscle "spiked" in a sense. It's quite funny when it happens, unless I'm carrying a tray of coffees that is.

Its not debilitating. It does fuck up my guitar play now and then and I can't draw a straight line with a ruler or use analog sticks on control pads (my thumb does a little jig when my hand is in that position).

It only really gets bad when I'm nervous. (in Interviews i'm like a parkinsons sufferer), and I can't read for more than 5 minutes without losing my place on the page or falling asleep.

smash

Post by smash » 16 Jul 2007 09:52

efilflah wrote:Well what I have is diagnosed "Essential/Familial tremor".

On a very small scale my muscles are in a state of constant movement, my neck, my eyes, my fingers....most noticeably in my fingers and hands. They usually only flare up noticeably if my hands are in a specific position (wrapped around a mouse its not a problem, but when I'm trying to do acute tasks like doing up my shirt buttons, it can get annoying).

It's a pain in the ass, and if I even try to stay still or focus on 1 thing for too long, it gets worse. So ironically the best way for me to deal with it, is to keep moving something, like my fingers, or feet, and it becomes less of a nuisance.

It also causes these minor spasms rarely where I overshoot something because my muscle "spiked" in a sense. It's quite funny when it happens, unless I'm carrying a tray of coffees that is.

Its not debilitating. It does fuck up my guitar play now and then and I can't draw a straight line with a ruler or use analog sticks on control pads (my thumb does a little jig when my hand is in that position).

It only really gets bad when I'm nervous. (in Interviews i'm like a parkinsons sufferer), and I can't read for more than 5 minutes without losing my place on the page or falling asleep.
As I threadjack...

Is this a muscular or a nerve disorder? Is it related to Parky's? You say, constant? Really? Or just most of the damn time?

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 16 Jul 2007 10:30

I touch corners. Dunno why. gf think it's hilarious.

Also I always have to step off of a flight of stairs with my left foot. Been doing that since I was a toddler. If I don't I feel agitated for a bit.

I'm also a sanitary freak. I'd say clean freak but I've met people who call themselves that thought all they do is like things to appear in order. I need my living space scrubbed down once a week. More so now actually with my new puppy.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 16 Jul 2007 16:22

The only thing I can think of is how many times I check the front and back door of the house to make sure its locked before I leave. I have to check the fucking things at least three times before Im comfortable.

smash

Post by smash » 16 Jul 2007 21:15

I have a thing about symmetry. 2 things on left, should be 2 things on the right. If there is an odd amount of something, I'm pretty determined to try and place it into the middle for balance sake.

exelis

Post by exelis » 16 Jul 2007 21:31

I can't think of anything all that out of the ordinary for myself.

When people even talk about nose injuries, my nose starts to feel odd/ache and I will often rub it. I attribute that to some pretty good bops on the nose when I was younger, and just not liking the feeling.

Also, I really prefer white soap, at least in bar form. Other light colors are usually OK, though. When I was a kid, my parents bought the "gold" colored Dial bars, and they were just icky. That being said, given the choice of gold Dial or not washing up, I'll suck it up and get clean.

Can't think of anything much more quirky than that.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 17 Jul 2007 01:43

smash wrote:As I threadjack...

Is this a muscular or a nerve disorder? Is it related to Parky's? You say, constant? Really? Or just most of the damn time?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_tremor

It's a neurological condition and it's postural, as in if my fingers or hands are positioned in a particular way, then every time they are positioned that way, it happens (it's a rapid shaking and looks like I'm totally faking it...but alas, I am not).

I look like an alcoholic who needs a drink sometimes, It's happened a few times that people have asked me if I'm an alcoholic (because I don't drink, and my hands shake), and I'm just like....."it's a coincidence Sherlock".

vhw

Post by vhw » 17 Jul 2007 03:50

I can't pee and talk with someone else at the same time, i also can't pee in public bathrooms if there's any people around me.

I have to either take the left or right side of a flight of stairs and come down from the opposite side or else i'll die! not really but i feel really uncomfortable if i don't, this might be my major quirk.

I too check for lock front doors before leaving, sometimes i have to walk a few steps back to check again for a second time or third time.

smash

Post by smash » 17 Jul 2007 06:55

vhw wrote:I can't pee and talk with someone else at the same time, i also can't pee in public bathrooms if there's any people around me.

I have to either take the left or right side of a flight of stairs and come down from the opposite side or else i'll die! not really but i feel really uncomfortable if i don't, this might be my major quirk.

I too check for lock front doors before leaving, sometimes i have to walk a few steps back to check again for a second time or third time.
Anyone ever try and pee and walk at the same times... even backwards? Something just cuts off the flow when I do that. No matter what.