Big Daddy

iPad

Post by Dex » 28 Jan 2010 16:24

No topics yet?
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

Bob

Re: iPad

Post by Bob » 28 Jan 2010 21:32

I was seriously considering one since I was looking at netbooks as you know. But I heard it doesnt multi task which is kind of a deal breaker for the price. Really cool though otherwise. If they ever fix that though Id probably get one

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 30 Jan 2010 04:25

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 31 Jan 2010 02:32

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/10-reasons- ... 0435608085

I've never understood people's fascination with apple products. Yes they can be more user friendly, and aesthetically they seem quite nice, but they are overpriced, underpowered and not as flexible as other hardware/software combinations, so I fail to see the appeal.

psyper

Post by psyper » 31 Jan 2010 05:03

I'm not too hot on apple products - never liked the mac computers and I've only got a 5th gen ipod cos it was brought as a birthday present and its still in use now as my primary music player. I think its not the apple products that people get all erect over but what they represent - its just the start - before ipod's there was nothing that compared to it now you have mp3 players from every other company trying to compete - apple showed the others how it could be done and that there was a market for it. When the iphone/itouch come out my brother brought one like the mug he is - I held out and got the nokia 5500 - its a lot better and although it hasn't got millions of useless apps behind it the ovi store is still pretty useful - now the ipad has come out there are already rivals clamouring to do one better and provide a tablet device with better supported features and iron out any of the issues that ipad has such as no usb output, flash support and 3rd party apps.

Apple shows us where the future should go - the rest follows and improves on it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

smash

Post by smash » 31 Jan 2010 08:54

psyper wrote:I'm not too hot on apple products - never liked the mac computers and I've only got a 5th gen ipod cos it was brought as a birthday present and its still in use now as my primary music player. I think its not the apple products that people get all erect over but what they represent - its just the start - before ipod's there was nothing that compared to it now you have mp3 players from every other company trying to compete - apple showed the others how it could be done and that there was a market for it. When the iphone/itouch come out my brother brought one like the mug he is - I held out and got the nokia 5500 - its a lot better and although it hasn't got millions of useless apps behind it the ovi store is still pretty useful - now the ipad has come out there are already rivals clamouring to do one better and provide a tablet device with better supported features and iron out any of the issues that ipad has such as no usb output, flash support and 3rd party apps.

Apple shows us where the future should go - the rest follows and improves on it.

I disagree with the last sentence. So far nothing has improved on the iphone really. And I say that generally hating MAC products.

psyper

Post by psyper » 31 Jan 2010 10:21

Maybe its my love affair with Nokia (like a stalking ex) that might taint my opinion but I think the 5500 is far better than the iphone and google seems to agree - but then the interwebs would only create a webpage comparing the two if they hate the iphone.

Because of the ipod there is now the archos and *cough* zune. And there is already tablets available or being released this year that could improve on the ipad design. Perhaps improves is the wrong word - perhaps its that apple shows the competition what they are capable of doing.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 31 Jan 2010 10:53

Perhaps improves is the wrong word - perhaps its that apple shows the competition what they are capable of doing.
Being the cynic that I am, I disagree. I think the problem lies in people's fascination with branding and hype. Apple "opening the door" is correct in the sense that, if other companies tried before Apple, they would fail because they don't have the marketing clout and brand following that is almost hypnotic to the people who actually buy Apple products. They literally have to wait for Apple to do it first, just so they can enter that market, not because Apple think of it first, but because until Apple tell the consumer brand whores what's cool and popular, they won't want it.

Apple don't have to revolutionise to succeed, they just have to do something,.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 31 Jan 2010 11:55

Since we are semi-off topic and just ranting about Apple, I guess I'll chime in too;
I have no fascination with Apple at all. I bought a 2nd generation iPod back in 2004 because my roommate had one, and it was way cooler than my CD walkman that played MP3-burned CDs. Eventually I upgraded that to an iPod touch in 2007, so I could also watch video and have portable internet. Eventually that was upgraded to an iPhone 3G, when my company took away our blackberries. That is the extent of my Apple saga.

I used Macintosh computers in school, including college, where the majority of my computer art classes were on macs. I believe Apple donated machines to lots of schools, because I don't recall seeing a PC in any classroom growing up.
They are really great machines that work exactly how they are supposed to work. The problem is, to keep an Apple product "safe" from all the evils in the world (and the internet), there are WAY too many restrictions.

I'm not just talking about the fact that you can't upgrade hardware or build your own Apple computer... even the apple "air port" (wireless router) won't allow for port forwarding, which is essential in bit torrent downloading. The iPod touch/iPhone/iPad don't support Adobe Flash for websites. Steve Job's explanation was "it's a possible security risk". :braf:
In order to keep the status of "macs don't have the same problems PCs have" they put into place so many restrictions so that even the dumbest apple user couldn't fuck it up.

There is a reason I had to Jailbreak my iPhone in order to tweak things like wallpaper backgrounds & icon placement; Apple doesn't trust the consumer. They don't want idiots getting viruses from unknown emails, accidentally deleting DLLs, or any of the other 9 billion things that PC users do that give PCs a bad name. They want to keep their image as being "so much better than a PC", and by doing this, they can convince people into paying twice as much money.

That being said... if the iPad had come out with mac OS on it, instead of the iPhone/iPod OS, I would have bought it.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 31 Jan 2010 19:14

Yeah sorry for the derail, but it's something that kind of irks me because I get a lot of people in work asking me questions like "but macs are better aren't they?" and I have to keep saying "no, they're just different", and the iPad is just the latest thing to come up all the time. It's a credit to their marketing strategy that its inherent in the average joe that macs are superior, even if it is total bollocks.

psyper

Post by psyper » 01 Feb 2010 04:30

Gonna derail this a bit more - I've noticed when I switched to Ubuntu - its not that its better than windows very very far from it - its just different and free legally - I only switched to Ubuntu because I had a choice of reinstalling an illegal version of xp or an illegal version of win7. I do have a lot of trouble with ubuntu and its not just down to my windows centric skill set.

Anyway back on track - it would be nice if ipad could be jailbroke (is that the word?) for other operating systems - I believe there are software solutions for ipods so that you can have a different os than the one that comes with it - even if they don't change the underlying code for it. I would love to get the ipad if i could install a media centre or ubuntu on it.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 02 Feb 2010 08:31

Now that the disappointment of the Apple Tablet has subsided for me, I decided to go ahead and Hackintosh my $250 netbook PC.

Time will tell if this actually works.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 01 Apr 2010 04:39

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 04 Apr 2010 07:38

I knew it...