THE GOGGLES THEY DO NOTHING

Geek talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

gulliver

THE GOGGLES THEY DO NOTHING

Post by gulliver » 12 Mar 2013 06:28

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57573 ... r-glasses/

Here's who can't wear Google Glass: People who wear glasses
Google's engineers have yet to find a solution that allows those who already wear glasses to wear its revolutionary eyewear.

by Chris Matyszczyk March 11, 2013 1:02 PM PDT

Be like Sergey? No, I can't.
(Credit: Noah Zerkin/Twitter With Permission)
I've been having nightmares lately.
Usually, my nightmares involve short people stabbing me in the thigh with sprinter's spikes and calling me awful names. Yes, like "Charlie."
However, lately, I've been wandering the streets in my nightmares, wearing Google Glass and causing serious civic damage.
The problem, you see, is that I already wear prescription glasses. So every time I see promotional puffery for Google's informational eyewear, I try to work out how I could put them on over -- or, perhaps, under -- my own glasses.
My suspicions were aroused further by the idea that I'd never seen Google's Larry Page and Sergey Brin wear any other glasses besides these madly scientific ones.
Swallowing what remains of my pride, I contacted Google and whispered: "Look, I wear specs. Do you have Google Glass specs for spec wearers?"
More Technically Incorrect
To fight world panic, Google doodles Douglas Adams
Cell phone thief caught when his pants play different tunes
Apple's biggest problem: People might quit?
Google shows off a talking shoe
The astoundingly cheesy iPhone app launch from Domino's
I feared I would be patronized out of existence. I feared I would be told that it was pointless to see the outside world, when the inside one peddled by Google would be far more interesting.
And surely I could see as far as the end of my nose without my glasses.
Instead, Google told me very directly that it currently has no solution for allowing the obviously more intelligent sector of humanity that wears glasses to wear Google Glass.
Google's Jay Nancarrow told me: "We're preparing additional models that are designed to work for people who require prescription lenses."
So when will I be able to at least imagine that I could walk the streets or go on a date, while simultaneously following the Golden State Warriors' demise before my eyes -- without crashing into a car, a pedestrian, a dog, or a building?
Nancarrow told me: "We haven't released specific timelines for these, however."
And so, for an unspecific period, my nightmares will continue. Please excuse me, I have an appointment with my therapist.
This may seem like a dumb question but, wont prescription lenses hike the price up quite a bit?