Vista Get!

Geek talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

Dex
Big Daddy

Vista Get!

Post by Dex » 31 Jan 2007 17:56

Sexy. I've never enjoyed Windows this much. I've used Macs before, and Vista is the closest Mac OSX clone I've ever seen; still not as good, but a damn good improvement (about time too).

No driver installation needed? Check.
Widgets on the side of the desktop? Check.
Animated glass-like windows & rounded neon percentage bars? Double check.

AngelBaby must be spinning in her grave.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 01 Feb 2007 00:28

More like ViZZZta get.

:rolleyes:

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 01 Feb 2007 21:42

Gates is teh devil

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 02 Feb 2007 02:26

UncleMao wrote:Bill Gates is da DEBIL!

/Bobby Boucher's mama
fixt. :P

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 23 Mar 2007 06:44

Windows Vista Listed as Most Secure OS by Symantec (a company that HATES microsoft)

http://www.internetnews.com/security/ar ... hp/3667201

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 23 Mar 2007 07:45

Dex wrote:Windows Vista Listed as Most Secure OS by Symantec (a company that HATES Apple)
fixt.

cuz see, Symantec doesn't like the fact that word has gotten around that Mac users don't need to buy their dumb anti-virus software.
8)

Mike

Post by Mike » 23 Jul 2007 08:33

My computer is better than yours! :dance:

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 23 Jul 2007 11:42

DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

vhw

Post by vhw » 04 Aug 2007 08:14

Dex wrote:Windows Vista Listed as Most Secure OS by Symantec (a company that HATES microsoft)

how the fuck did i miss this? oh yeah, that's right, rarely visit.

Anyway, i wouldn't be surprised if this actually meant "buy more windows vista and also buy our software". I'm still running on windows xp and i'll never go higher. My pc is way two old for that shit.

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » 07 Aug 2007 18:55

vhw wrote:
Dex wrote:Windows Vista Listed as Most Secure OS by Symantec (a company that HATES microsoft)

how the fuck did i miss this? oh yeah, that's right, rarely visit.

Anyway, i wouldn't be surprised if this actually meant "buy more windows vista and also buy our software". I'm still running on windows xp and i'll never go higher. My pc is way two old for that shit.
Same. My comp's only running on 64MB onboard graphics, Vista would be wasted on this if it managed to work.
I know I'm supposed to do something, but fuck knows what it is.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 07 Aug 2007 18:59

So why exactly do Apple and "independent" OS users not need to worry about virii and worms and whatever other einvertebrates?

Are they actually immune? Because it seems like Microsoft would have found that secret out, them being so powerful and all.

What's the deal here?

smash

Post by smash » 07 Aug 2007 21:06

Seriously wrote:Image

So why exactly do Apple and "independent" OS users not need to worry about virii and worms and whatever other einvertebrates?

Are they actually immune? Because it seems like Microsoft would have found that secret out, them being so powerful and all.

What's the deal here?
It's bullshit. There weren't a plethora of hacks and virii for Macs because it's not as popular, not because it is more secure. Same with Linux. Want proof? The iPhone needed a patch instantly because of a hack on the safari web-browser. That's a mac.

It's just common sense, if the vast majority of the user base is one platform, it makes most sense to look for and write exploits to that user group.

Anything that can crash and have memory dump can be hacked, because at that point a program can write anything it wants into that memory space. It's just the nature of the beast.

The attitude of the alterna-OS users is what always kills me the most. It's very similiar to the anti-american sentiment that foreigners feel. In short, it's hip to bash the majority.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 08 Aug 2007 03:44

Smash speaks the truth.

Additionally, as a gamer, anyone thinking of the jump to Vista should seriously think again as you take a huge performance hit (unless the game was designed with Vista in mind - which is gonna be the case more often as we move forward).

I actually read a decent article yesterday about how weird it is to be a PC gamer at the moment. With the Next-Gen (Nuke that phrase now please) consoles getting all the gaming attention of late and Vista still practically embrionic, there has been a large gap between really good games on the PC this summer as if developers are treading water and deciding their next move.

My philosophy has always been to upgrade late and play the back catalogue at minimal cost and with all bugs ironed out, but with some of the games coming out (Bioshock, Crysis) I can understand how some might wanna jump on the bandwagon early, but tbh it's just not worth it at this stage.

I'm so tempted to buy a 360, but I just cannot use those damned joypads.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 08 Aug 2007 05:34

efilflah wrote:Smash speaks the truth.

Additionally, as a gamer, anyone thinking of the jump to Vista should seriously think again as you take a huge performance hit (unless the game was designed with Vista in mind - which is gonna be the case more often as we move forward).
So THATS why the dusty old copy of black and white I broke out of the gaming cabinet after I got my new pc with vista plays like shit.

Goddamnit!

*shakes both fists at sky*

vhw

Post by vhw » 13 Aug 2007 06:56

Seriously wrote:Image

What's the deal here?
like jason said, it's a matter of the number of potential targets. It makes more sense to fuck around with the greatest installed base o.s.

There are viruses for linux too but the os does a better job at handling what runs and what not due to user permissions and while it looks like vista finally caught up with this concept but i find it a little annoying to be asked if i want to let a certain software run or not, microsoft needs to polish that task a bit more.

mind you, i'm not bashing one o.s. and promoting another, vista is a pretty decent effort but it does consume far more resources than what i have, that's my single reason not to switch... and the price of the license, too.

the latests releases of kde and gnome are pretty hard on resources too so i wouldn't put that over anyway.

actually, i'm pretty happy with a very stripped down version of windows xp right now, it's been like 18 months since i last had to reinstall the o.s., that should give you an idea of how stable i'm finding right now.