ok, so, question

Geek talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

Hortnon

ok, so, question

Post by Hortnon » 14 Aug 2006 10:21

Ok, so, I'm an Oracle DBA. I work on Solaris, AIX, and Windows at work.

Here's what I want to do:
Convert my old computer into a Linux system, then down the line build a new system to create a cluster on. The end goal being a multiple node Linux cluster with an Oracle Grid database on top.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking here, and the reason I mentioned what I work on is, I don't know anything about Linux besides that it exists. So my question is, What Linux distribution should I get for this? I would really like a focus on command line interface, since that's what I'm used to for this kind of thing.
sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 14 Aug 2006 10:43

:blink:

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 14 Aug 2006 10:54

:?
DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

Hortnon

Post by Hortnon » 14 Aug 2006 12:13

That's pretty much what I expected lol

:(
sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 14 Aug 2006 12:26

:waugh:

i'mmikeandyousuck

Post by i'mmikeandyousuck » 14 Aug 2006 12:34

MSD

Re: ok, so, question

Post by MSD » 14 Aug 2006 16:56

Hortnon wrote:I don't know anything about Linux besides that it exists. So my question is, What Linux distribution should I get for this? I would really like a focus on command line interface, since that's what I'm used to for this kind of thing.
I've heard from some of my friends who use Linux that Ubuntu is nice...but you want command line interface. So it's better to add this...

Desktop environments such as KDE and GNOME make things easier for computer users, but as desktop environments become more and more integrated, some users may feel stuck with a graphical interface that was designed for someone else. Having to use the mouse over and over for the same thing can get old real fast. Keyboard shortcuts help to pick up the pace in some applications, but neither KDE nor GNOME really lends itself to keyboard navigation. Luckily, for those who want to combine the efficiency of the command line with all the resolution of the X Window System, there's a window manager called ratpoison.

The ratpoison window manager has a keyboard-driven interface similar to GNU Screen. It's policy is to show the window, the whole window, and nothing but the window. There are no borders or title bars, as windows are sized to fit the display.

Ratpoison

hope that this was what you wanted...

smash

Re: ok, so, question

Post by smash » 14 Aug 2006 18:45

Hortnon wrote:Ok, so, I'm an Oracle DBA. I work on Solaris, AIX, and Windows at work.

Here's what I want to do:
Convert my old computer into a Linux system, then down the line build a new system to create a cluster on. The end goal being a multiple node Linux cluster with an Oracle Grid database on top.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking here, and the reason I mentioned what I work on is, I don't know anything about Linux besides that it exists. So my question is, What Linux distribution should I get for this? I would really like a focus on command line interface, since that's what I'm used to for this kind of thing.
Well Redhat (is that even still around) and Suse are good for Linux tards, like me.

Otherwise MSD answered it well.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 14 Aug 2006 20:04

i'mmikeandyousuck wrote:
thank god msd's here.

puzzlehead

Post by puzzlehead » 16 Aug 2006 18:26

How big of a cluster are you talking about creating? You may want to look into Beowulf clusters for Linux.

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » 16 Aug 2006 18:51

Slackware, I've heard it's command line based and if you want to throw yourself in the deep end go for it.

I'll stick to my Suse thanks.
I know I'm supposed to do something, but fuck knows what it is.

Bligityblah

Post by Bligityblah » 16 Aug 2006 21:16

Ugh, slackware was responsible for a lot of late nights, 44oz pop benders, and a few nightmares. Be afraid.

Back when I ran a few linux servers I used Redhat because it was resonably straight forward and there are a cool million resources to help you out with it. The first two weeks are the worst as far as getting used to it but after that you'll catch on quick. For about 2 years I didn't even have a Windows computer until I started playing Starcraft and Diablo IIx.

Get yourself one of these and you're pretty much golden.

Hortnon

Post by Hortnon » 16 Aug 2006 23:26

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Like I said, I'm pretty familiar with command-line Unix already. How much of a learning curve is there going to be?
sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

vhw

Post by vhw » 17 Aug 2006 11:33

red hat advance server, version 3.x on. As far as i can tell, the clustering comes from the rdbms, not really from the OS, so as long as there's a link between the two servers, you'll do fine.

Most current distros have straight forward installs, if you're only doing this for fun, you might want to start with mandriva or suse (the free edition). If you're doing it for whatever profit reason, switch to red hat. I know for a fact that oracle 9i works pretty good with rhle as 3.2.

Hortnon

Post by Hortnon » 17 Aug 2006 13:13

I know that some sort of OS-level clustering has to be set up, otherwise Oracle software won't allow you to cluster it. I think it has to do with how the file systems are mounted and how IO is queued...

But anyway, yeah this is pretty much for fun...just think I should learn the SA side of the house if I can.
sqlplus "/ as sysdba"