Safari for windows

Geek talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

eamon angelface

Safari for windows

Post by eamon angelface » 15 Jun 2007 13:19

Is...interesting.

Eating less resources but no new tab seleciton available in the browser. Fancier but with restrictions.

Pretty standard Apple stuff I guess.
DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

Umgawa

Post by Umgawa » 15 Jun 2007 17:41

I wouldn't know, for two reasons:
  1. I don't do betas.
  2. I don't do Windows.
However, as browsers go, I do like Safari on my Mac. The unfortunate downside is that various sites (such as this one) don't particularly care for it when it comes to keyboard shortcuts, so italicizing film, book, and television titles tends to be a royal bitch.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 15 Jun 2007 22:44

I can't stand Macs.

WAY to many restrictions. If I wanted babysitter I'd hire a hot 16 year old.

Windows is a shitty OS but I prefer not to have my things idiot proofed. It tends to make me feel like an idiot.

Which is probably why I'm already using FF again.

Umgawa

Post by Umgawa » 16 Jun 2007 16:12

eamon angelface wrote:I can't stand Macs.

WAY to many restrictions. If I wanted babysitter I'd hire a hot 16 year old.

Windows is a shitty OS but I prefer not to have my things idiot proofed. It tends to make me feel like an idiot.
The command-line is just waiting for power-users like you.

/Applications/Terminal

Have fun with that. Let us know how fucking with the kernel goes. Seriously, you want to feel like an idiot? Have fun trying to remember the Unix commands you learned during that IT class you took back during your freshman year of college. (Yes, I know there's a whole Mac vs. PC thread, but I'm rather defensive of my Fred, Wilma, Barney, Betty, Pebbles, Bam-Bamm & Elroy.)

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 17 Jun 2007 02:53

Thanks for jumping in and spoiling one of those Mac myths before I had a chance, Umgawa.

Ask any hacker/security expert out there what their weapon of choice is these days. Apparently, most of the attendees at this year's DefCon had a MacBook Pro under their arms.

Terminal + Unix is there for those who need it and understand its power. For those like me, the elegant simplicity of OS X is there to make sure I can do exactly what I want to do and not have to worry about dropping into the command-line.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 17 Jun 2007 04:54

Never had that "command line".

Mac alarmists are about as convincing or threatening as vegetarians. Yes I get it, your life is vastly better because of that decision you made. Now take your self inflated sense of self righteousness and go be a douche somewhere else.

The whole issue of hacking is a joke. Windows isn't secure!!! Neither is your Mac. If you read up on it you'll find that the best hacking techniques involve social networking and exploiting human error. Which is of course made that much easier when someone is strutting around with their so called indestructible Mac.

Anyway, the browser is like I said too much show and not enough go. And that is at par with everything else Apple. Unless you need your hand held, then Apple is your bestest friend.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 17 Jun 2007 07:02

Hate to bring it up Eamon, but you are the one who comes off as an alarmist in this thread. You were the first to bash something that you clearly view as inferior...why do so many peecee users feel the need to do that I've always wondered? Shouldn't they feel completely secure in their choice and vast market-share superiority? Hmm... :unsure:

And you totally missed the point about why hackers would be moving to the Mac in droves since the switch to Intel chips. First, hackers do have some idea about what systems might be a bit more inherently secure than others. Second, they can run pretty much any OS they like on a Mac thanks to Parallels and Bootcamp. And lastly, that command-line that's been mentioned a couple times, that's a direct UNIX interface into the Mac and its OS, powerusers like the geeks who attend DefCon can use that to overcome whatever "restrictions" Apple has built-in to its machines. Not that I have any idea what you are referring to, I've used Macs since I was in high school, and I've yet to run into any problems doing anything I wanted to do on one. Unless you are a hardcore PC gamer, that's pretty much just another of the myriad myths about the Mac perpetuated ad nauseum by people who've hardly touched one in years, and shouldn't give them a second thought since they are so enamored with the computing monopoly Bill Gates has established.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 17 Jun 2007 07:15

I wasn't being an alarmist. I didn't say Mac's are awful because of the restrictions. I said I don't like using them because of the restrictions.

The OS on a Mac is inherently more secure. But it's not bullet proof which is what a lot of casual computer user who swear by Macs are lead to believe.

I have had Macs and I prefer PC. If something goes wrong I can fix it. Macs and people who sell them lead users to believe nothing can ever go wrong with a Mac which is crap. It's a false sense of security combined with idiot proofing what really amount to procedural processes and of course their branding and you have my previously mentioned all show and no go. Plus they charge more for all this great security and ease of use.

If there was a third party that didn't require me to commit too much of my time to getting going (up your butt Linux) I'd vote for that. Until then I'll stick to PC.

Safari for windows is not as good as FF. I miss my add ons.