Delicious Irony...

Geek talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

exelis

Delicious Irony...

Post by exelis » 09 Jun 2008 04:16

I just got my sexy new quad-core machine, with 4 gigs of RAM and nearly a terabyte of storage.

I'm playing Angband on it.

Hehehehe.

I've decided that I do hate Vista, but not as bad as I hate the new version of MS-Office. I can't complain, though, because it screams next to my old 1.4 gHz P4.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Re: Delicious Irony...

Post by AngelBaby » 09 Jun 2008 05:59

Not long ago, I was forced to use the new version of MS Word on a friend's Vizzzta PC, and that's literally one of the least intuitive pieces of software I've ever seen. Absolutely ZERO continuity with previous versions of the program.

Nice going, Redmond. Can't wait to see how y'all screw up Windoze 7.

smash

Post by smash » 09 Jun 2008 11:19

I haven't found office worthy of griping. Although One Note 2007....waste of space.

exelis

Post by exelis » 09 Jun 2008 12:25

AngelBaby wrote:Not long ago, I was forced to use the new version of MS Word on a friend's Vizzzta PC, and that's literally one of the least intuitive pieces of software I've ever seen. Absolutely ZERO continuity with previous versions of the program.

Tell me about it. It's funny. They took all the menu items and gave them bigass icons. I guess they somehow surmised that most people that were word processing were too illiterate to read the text-only menu options. What sucks is I can't find an option anywhere to go back to regular menus and save screen space and my eyes.

smash

Post by smash » 11 Jun 2008 23:24

exelis wrote:
AngelBaby wrote:Not long ago, I was forced to use the new version of MS Word on a friend's Vizzzta PC, and that's literally one of the least intuitive pieces of software I've ever seen. Absolutely ZERO continuity with previous versions of the program.

Tell me about it. It's funny. They took all the menu items and gave them bigass icons. I guess they somehow surmised that most people that were word processing were too illiterate to read the text-only menu options. What sucks is I can't find an option anywhere to go back to regular menus and save screen space and my eyes.

I'll give you (and AngelVixen) that. Vista has the same issue. It's really obvious what Microsoft's problem is, I don't know why they can't right the ship tho...

...tey favor making things more and more and more idiot friendly, at the expense of functionality. The whole Windows Defender and User Access Controls reek of that. They think that this prevents the masses from doing dumb things, but it only makes them dumber. "Do you want to all....." yes! is all they are training people to do.

I'm a computer guy and when I installed vista a few weeks back, the goddamn thing had me clicking and turning shit off blindly right away and within 5 hours of installing I had greyware on my machine that I had a bitch of a time cleaning out. In trying to troubleshoot blindly and remove it (because somehow Vista was completely unaware of the fact that I had a problem with random pop ups on my computer) I managed to break critical components necessary to Vista. that I can't even tell you what they were. I had to reactivate/reauthorize my software.

Incidentally, in keeping with their dumbing down of their software, they are coming up with really bad names for products. Anyone running 2007 Office has a task utility running on start up call 'Groove32'. Why they think anyone wouldn't be suspicious of a process running named that is beyond me.