Vintage games: The classics.

Gamer talk.

Moderator: Dex

smash

Post by smash » 15 Jul 2007 19:05

I still have my Grim Fandago CD. I never made it out of the building before I got ADD afflicted.

Which is ironic, considering I love Sam and Max and almost every game LucasArts ever published.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 15 Jul 2007 20:59

Umgawa wrote:I could go on about games like Bionic Commando (which Capcom really needs to turn into a first-person shooter) and the Final Fantasy series, but eventually someone will mention those, and I have to get about two hours' worth of sleep before work.
Man I loved Bionic Commando on the NES. As far as game gimmicks go, a bionic grappling arm in a platform shooter has to be the best thing ever. How frustrating was it when you had to time those swing jumps and you had to aim for a measly little suspended part that would actually let you grapple 5 consecutive times with instant death waiting below you. (with no continues)
gulliver wrote:However the one that really sticks out for me(having played it non-stop until I completed it) was Flashback on the Genesis/Megadrive. I much prefered the Sega version to the Snes one because of the faggity pink shirt Conrad had in the latter version. Also, even though the Snes was a more powerful machine, the graphics seemed a lot slicker on the Sega version.
Awesome game, especially that part where you compete in a running man style gameshow. They made a 3d thrid person sequel called Fade 2 Black, which was pretty decent (although nowhere near as awesome).

Another World was a similar game, but it was a lot harder and more puzzle oriented (shorter too).

Anyone ever play a little known Shareware game called "Abuse". It was like Contra but with a mouse. That was really good for shareware game.

The original Alone in the Dark series (1 2 3) were really good games too. It's funny actually, they were true 3D games, with true 3D objects and later on we get Resident Evil which had more static 2D backgrounds than Alone in the Dark ever did. Even though I love the original 2 Resident Evil games, they didn't creep me out as much as AITD did.

Zorak

Post by Zorak » 15 Jul 2007 23:19

The predecesor to Flashback was also known as Out Of This World - one of my favorite games of all time. Flashback is often thought of a sequel because of the rotoscoped style. The story telling and gameplay was second to none when it came out and it still holds up well. There was actually a little known sequel to Out Of This World that came out towards the end of the Sega CD but it was crap.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 15 Jul 2007 23:22

I remember Flashback!

I never played it, but I remember.

I also remember Out Of This World.

Which I also never played, because apparently it needed some sort fucking passcode just to start the game?

What's that stupid shit?

Not worth my goddamn time. Your game isn't that fucking special.

Zorak

Post by Zorak » 16 Jul 2007 04:43

I think I remember that.

Ah, the good ole days of copy protection. They should bring those back for pc games just for nostalgia. I liked having to allign the different pictures with the wheel that came with Monkey Island - or finding the 5th word on the 36th page of the instruction booklet before you could get into a King's Quest game.

smash

Post by smash » 16 Jul 2007 09:54

Zorak wrote:I think I remember that.

Ah, the good ole days of copy protection. They should bring those back for pc games just for nostalgia. I liked having to allign the different pictures with the wheel that came with Monkey Island - or finding the 5th word on the 36th page of the instruction booklet before you could get into a King's Quest game.
To me those were entertaining and not having the book and a hack installed to bypass the copyprotection thing always made me feel a bit sad. For example, one of my all time favorite games was Conquests of the Longbow and during you had to sign out words to tree gods and only the book had the cheat sheet for the hand letters.

When you could just type anything in and it passed, it just felt...hollow.

Umgawa

Post by Umgawa » 17 Jul 2007 16:19

I failed to mention Oregon Trail, Lemmings, and Worms (love those Concrete Donkeys). However, the most glaring omission I can think of right now has to be X-COM: UFO Defense, though I always preferred its sequel, Terror from the Deep.

exelis

Post by exelis » 17 Jul 2007 20:19

You can't bring up Flashback and Out of This World (both tons of fun) without their older cousin Prince of Persia, which was also lots of fun.

Anyone remember Legacy of the Ancients?

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 17 Jul 2007 20:24

Streets of Rage 2!

New moves, more characters, bucket loads of levels and a funky albeit cheesy soundtrack.

I'll always remember the first time I did the spinning fist-of-fire dragon thingy, good times.

smash

Post by smash » 18 Jul 2007 01:00

I play worms on my Nintendo DS. Better yet you can network play it :)

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 18 Jul 2007 03:01

Umgawa wrote:I failed to mention Oregon Trail, Lemmings, and Worms (love those Concrete Donkeys). However, the most glaring omission I can think of right now has to be X-COM: UFO Defense, though I always preferred its sequel, Terror from the Deep.
I LOVED THE UFO GAMES.

So atmospheric and creepy, when you'd just get shot out of nowhere and your man would just wail in pain.

I always used to send the little robot thing to do a scouting mission before I sent my men in, but it would never matter because there'd always be some sneaky alien that killed about 5 of them because he was hiding in some sneaky little corner.

I also loved the Jagged Alliance games (Modern day Merc version of UFO, but less emphasis on management and development).

I don't think I ever completed any of them though, because they were games that went on forever and I just kept forgetting to play them.

There was a 3D knock-off of UFO, I forget the name of it though. It was one word. A very sci-fi word....and there were puzzles in a small 3D environment and you had a squad of 4 men, and you had to solve the puzzle whilst avoiding getting battered by the Aliens who were on guard.

I only played the demo, but it seemed promising.

Fs I can't think.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 28 Jul 2007 18:49