Real Lives

Gamer talk.

Moderator: Dex

Seriously

Real Lives

Post by Seriously » 17 Jul 2007 11:35

Someone showed this to me.

It is like a game.

It is for children. It is a game where you are born and live and die somewhere in the world.

As you can see if you follow the link, they want your information, but you can lie lie lie in every field. I would just feel weird posting a link directly to an executable.

My first time through I was born a gonorrheac, underweight boy in Nigeria to child-parents.

Then I caught measles and went blind and my father caught syphilis before he graduated secondary school.

Then I got malaria and my newborn sister died and my mom got depressed and syphilis.

Then she graduated secondary school!

But I am hideously ugly and slightly deformed.

Anyways, I die a shoemaker at the age of 25 of pneumonia, having never touched a woman. The most positive thing that ever happened to me was that I...cleaned up someone else's mess.

Thus the life of one Deji Adekunde

My last time through was the best. I was born in Peru to an alcoholic father who beat me from when I was 12 until 16 when I moved out on my own to become a salesman.

I married the love of my life, one Margarita Ruiz, at the age of 18 right before I was drafted into the military, where I served for two years.

My dad died of bladder cancer and I didn't care.

After leaving the service I had three daughters: Natalia, Lucinda and Catalina.

The first two were planned, Catalina was...a surprise.

I left my job as a entertainment industry technician to become a police inspector and my wife got over her near life-long depression. I never did get over mine, even though everything was wonderful, though none of my daughters could find boys good enough for them (none of them were smart enough to even qualify for trade school).

Catalina was particularly fond of the boys...and at only 14 too.

A modest house, more than enough food for everyone, overall a decent existence.

Then my wife was diagnosed with diabetes. She died two years later at the age of 52.

The next year I joined her after a sudden stroke, leaving a few hundred thousand soles to my children (the youngest still in school).

Thus the life of Arturo Cardenas.

In most of my other lives I just saved up money and moved to Canada or the U.S. illegally.

I have never lived past the age of 70, nor left a surviving spouse.

Umgawa

Re: Real Lives

Post by Umgawa » 17 Jul 2007 16:17

Seriously wrote:My first time through I was born a gonorrheac, underweight boy in Nigeria to child-parents.

Then I caught measles and went blind and my father caught syphilis before he graduated secondary school.

Then I got malaria and my newborn sister died and my mom got depressed and syphilis.

Then she graduated secondary school!

But I am hideously ugly and slightly deformed.

Anyways, I die a shoemaker at the age of 25 of pneumonia, having never touched a woman. The most positive thing that ever happened to me was that I...cleaned up someone else's mess.
This sounds so much like my last go-round in Oregon Trail, which is yet another classic I failed to mention going back to on a fairly regular basis. I'm not sure where mom got syphilis from, though the oxen are definitely suspect.

exelis

Post by exelis » 17 Jul 2007 20:25

Interesting. There was an old C-64 game that was rather similar. I forget what it was called. I used to have a link to an online version, though, but it no longer works. Will root around to try to find another. You were born and made choices from day 1 (i.e. an infant can be picked up by a strange dinner guest of their parents and have the choices of: Grab the scary man's big nose, scream, or giggle at him)? Every choice affected the game further down the way, and questions came at random, creating different situations for each life. It was pretty cool, especially for something so, er, vintage. I'll download this version to play over the weekend.

exelis

Post by exelis » 17 Jul 2007 20:45

Sorry, apparently "Alter Ego" was a DOS game, not c-64. Here's a link to the online version. No graphics, but the dos graphics sucked, anyway, and weren't important to gameplay.

http://www.theblackforge.net/