Sega deny new console

Gamer talk.

Moderator: Dex

gulliver

Sega deny new console

Post by gulliver » 11 Dec 2007 20:50

Sega has denied that it’s getting back into consoles, following rumours it has begun prepping the Dreamcast for a re-entry into the gaming market.

Rumours first began circulating when it was revealed that Sega had updated its Dreamcast trademark with a selection of seemingly random tech terms, such as “floor pads” and “flash memory cards”. The trademark was updated in August this year, though the change has only recently come to light.

The console was launched in November 1998 and designed to be a successor to the established Sega Saturn. The Dreamcast was withdrawn from production in March 2001, and Sega left the console game to focus on software.

Senior Sega US spokesman Charlie Scibetta has since provided a little clarification though, telling one online publication that the company "has no plans to get back into the console business" because it’s “very happy being a platform agnostic company”.

Scibetta did promise to look into the reasons why the trademark was updated though. But, the company could just be looking to protect its rights to the Dreamcast name, by updating the existing trademark pending ongoing use of, say, its games on other consoles.

Register Hardware contacted the lawyer named in the trademark update, David Ehrlich of New York-based lawfirm Fross, Zelnick, Lehrman & Zissu, but he said he was "not authorised" to communicate the reason for the update.

eamon angelface

Re: Sega deny new console

Post by eamon angelface » 12 Dec 2007 06:55

They were stupid to give up.

And it's too late to jump back into the ring now. Unless they really came up with something incredible and priced it well below the other consoles.
DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

psyper

Post by psyper » 12 Dec 2007 07:48

I always thought that the only thing you can do is make them more powerful, better grafix and more features so each year a new playstation or xbox comes along to fulfill the console market and a new psp and ds comes along to fulfill the handheld market. same old same old each year. Then Wii came out and proved you can come up with something original something totally different and it works - 2nd year running its the must have xmas tech toy in the UK.

Unless sega can come out with something that is entitled to a class of its own theres not much use in trying.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 13 Dec 2007 01:44

I hate the Wii

It screams embarrassing. It's one of those things that 10 years from now people will look back on with Solid Gold dancer disgust. It's up there with American Idol and the like as the real low points of modern mainstream culture.

I don't even look at is as a gaming system. It's like some retarded attempt to skip around shitty graphics and gameplay.

The fact the the N64 is a better system with better games is a clear indication that despite it selling well it's a bag of shit.
DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 10 Jan 2008 01:52

I agree. The Wii just shows how blindly loyal Nintendo's fanbase is, to the point where all they need to do is release a new control system for a machine still using tech that is years old and still charge a premium for it.

I don't deny its a bit of fun, but it has little longetivity, practically no other applications (not even a dvd player) and there's barely any decent games on it.

I'm not anti Nintendo in the slightest, I just don't get their logic. Trying to justify ageing tech by distracting people with a fancy new control system that very few games are using to the degree you'd expect isn't wise. I mean why not have both fancy graphics, raw power AND a fancy new control scheme?

But then what do I know, the thing is flying off the shelves even though every person I know who has one has barely touched it since the first couple of weeks they've owned one.

smash

Post by smash » 10 Jan 2008 07:06

I completely disagree with both of you. A wii is just 'fun'. It is designed as a low price family fun console. I know more women that are willing to get into gaming because of a wii. You both are perceiving it in the traditional male/geek gaming system, instead of seeing it as a family electronic version of a board game. (that involves physical activity).

I don't own one, because I enjoy geek/male traditional gaming. That being said, I don't adopt a 'this sucks' attitude. There are plenty of things that 'aren't for me' that are perfectly fine.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 10 Jan 2008 09:07

I never said it sucks, I just said meant that to me it isn't worth the money, especially given how lazily the tech was put together.

I've no problem with the idea of a motion controller, or even fun, silly games that you can just pickup and play with little afterthought, I just don't agree with the hype machine's justification for the price as frankly its a rip-off for what it is.

It may be getting more casual gamers into gaming, but I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing. Shitty shockfest "horror" movies get more casual viewers into movies, but they're saturation has practically ruined the horror genre, and I'd hate to see casual gaming become a priority in the games market because of an overhyped gamecube with a fancy controller.

psyper

Post by psyper » 10 Jan 2008 09:25

Actually youre both right!
from a console player point of view its a total washout - There is technology out there now that makes gaming look as realistic as the movies. Games that are so indepth you can be playing on them for 7 straight hours without even realising more than half an hour has gone by. Gaming consoles that double up as a DVD player, internet browser, media centre, coffee table etc. But the Wii is not aimed for that sort of market.
Its aimed for the people who brought that dance mat thing and still has it rolled out on the living room floor. Its aimed for families that sit together on a friday evening and press the red button on their sky remote or buy those silly DVD quiz things and play parents versus the children or men versus the women knock out competitions. Its designed for those people who go out and buy the next gen board games which uses the dvd player. This is why its so popular during xmas and thanksgiving what better fun is had knocking the crap out of granny in a wii boxing game!!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.