The A-team

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

UncleMao

The A-team

Post by UncleMao » 16 Sep 2009 17:04

Source: EmpireOnline

Get your fookin' tentacles out of my helicopter

It's taken years to get to this point, but it looks like we finally have a full line-up for The A-Team. Joining Liam Neeson's Hannibal, Bradley Cooper's Face and "Rampage" Jackson's BA Baracus will be the previously rumoured Sharlto Copley (he of District 9 fame) and the very lovely Jessica Biel.

As was practically obligatory in the show, the female role will be an ex-girlfriend of Templeton "Faceman" Peck's. What's less traditional is that Variety also appears to say that Biel's role doubles up as the general who's pursuing the team (who were, of course, convicted of a crime they didn't commit) which seems slightly unlikely to us. A colonel, maybe, but surely she's considerably too young to be a general if this is a more serious take on the series? Still, in an industry that once cast Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist (in hotpants!) perhaps we should just be grateful that Biel is actually pretty kick-ass.

Skip Woods wrote the script and Joe Carnahan is directing for producer Ridley Scott. Shooting starts this autumn for release here on July 30, 2010.
Helen O'Hara

gulliver

Re: The A-team

Post by gulliver » 16 Sep 2009 20:23

I think Bradley Cooper is a good choice as Face but Neeson just seems too serious to be Hannibal.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 25 Oct 2009 07:55

“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 25 Oct 2009 12:54

IN 1972 A CRACK COMMANDO UNIT WAS SENT TO PRISON BY A MILITARY COURT FOR A CRIME THEY DIDN'T COMMIT.

THESE MEN PROMPTLY ESCAPED FROM A MAXIMUM SECURITY STOCKADE TO THE LOS ANGELES UNDERGROUND.

TODAY, STILL WANTED BY THE GOVERNMENT, THEY SURVIVE AS SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, IF NO ONE ELSE CAN HELP, AND IF YOU CAN FIND THEM, MAYBE YOU CAN HIRE...

THE A-TEAM.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 30 Oct 2009 13:22

They released pics of the stunt doubles today as well...

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 11 Jan 2010 05:09

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 12 Jun 2010 17:21

Saw it.

Loved it.

Want to see it again.

A-team? More like the A+team. See what I did there? Easily one of the best action movies I have ever seen in my life. Great acting, great story, classic characters, great sound/editing, sprinkles of humor and heart, tons of epic visuals, explosions, guns, fistfights... I love it when a plan comes together.

My only qualms with the movie was the slightly overused greenscreen & CG used in the final scene (FYI - location was Long Beach docks, 20 minutes from my house). But it's just a small personal complaint. The movie still gets a solid A in my book.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 12 Jun 2010 19:41

How did Rampage come across as B.A? Did he pull it off?

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 13 Jun 2010 07:19

gulliver wrote:How did Rampage come across as B.A? Did he pull it off?
That's a difficult question to answer. I personally find Mr. T to be a joke, and his character BA in the original A-Team TV show was basically the comic relief. Sure, the A-Team, along with almost every action show in the 80s was over the top & campy, but BA was just Mr. T with a different name. He couldn't act his way out of a cereal box.

So comparing Rampage's portrayal of BA to Mr. T's portrayal is tricky. Rampage was not silly, but he was still the butt of many jokes. However, instead of laughing AT him (like I did with Mr. T), you felt bad for him, cuz he was really a sweet guy on the inside, but had a very tough exterior.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, he played a very likable angry black man. For example (hardly a spoiler); in one scene, in typical A-Team fashion, Murdoch had to knock BA out with a sedative in order to get him on a plane (a joke used at least 3 times in the movie, but never got old), once they were back on the ground, BA was furious and ready to bash some heads, but then Murdoch put a plate of BA's favorite food in front of him, which instantly calmed him down.
"Don't be tryin dat again, foo" as he peacefully ate his meal.

So to sum it up; I never really liked the original BA character. He was an important part of the team, but Mr. T's personality was too big, and tended to overshadow the other characters. The new BA is toned down, more realistic, but still the same basic character... but modernized

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 13 Jun 2010 07:30

I just noticed that critics are HATING on this movie for some reason.

Rottontomatos.com score is 53%
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_team/

But then if you look at user reviews, it's an 83%
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_team/ ... _users.php

WTH critics. It's a remake of an 1080's cheesy action show. What were you expecting, Shakespeare?

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 02 Jul 2010 08:02

They hate it because it's shit.

Sharlto was awsum.

Mike

Post by Mike » 26 Jul 2010 08:57

it was decent

i noticed face was sportin' a couple phillies shirts...