Star Trek

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Star Trek

Post by AngelBaby » 13 Nov 2008 13:05

Here's an "exclusive" shot of the Enterprise from JJ Abrams' movie.

Right now, pissed off Trekkies are busily organizing a flash mob to head to JJ's house.

exelis

Re: Star Trek

Post by exelis » 14 Nov 2008 03:30

Same said trekkies aren't thinking that the graphics from the 70's wouldn't sell a bloody movie ticket except to them in this day and age.

It's got a perfectly circular saucer section with two nacells on rather spindly struts. I don't think it's that far from authentic, factoring in better CGI. The only thing that I would say is it looks like would hold a hella lot more people than the original NCC-1701 did. Like 30x more.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 14 Nov 2008 15:10

What?

I am fine with this design. It is perfectly reminiscent and nice-looking.

If there are rioting Trekkies I will order them to stand down.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 14 Nov 2008 21:49

Come on, guys...you know there's a portion of that obsessive fanbase that saw this picture and spit Cheetos all over their keyboard while bellowing "OMG THAT'S NOT CANON!" causing Mom to run down to the basement to see what all the fuss was about.

I'm fine with the design myself, as I realize the need to make it all pretty for modern viewers, but there are certain die-hards who have a set of blueprints for NCC-1701 hardwired into their cortexes and any variation from such is sacrilege.

Personally, I'm just waiting to see Sylar deliver a Vulcan nerve pinch. ^_^

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 15 Nov 2008 02:46

No issues with the design as such, just the whole movie.

Its SPACE. Its the FUTURE. How can they be so lacking in creativity that they have retread old ground? Again? I mean Enterprise wasn't exactly good, and I'm struggling to think of any "prequels" or remakes of classics that have truly worked.

All this pandering to fanboys does my head in. Let it die or do something new, enough of this recycled bullshit already.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 16 Nov 2008 06:33

You are thinking of Star Wars fans. As a member of both fellowships I can tell you that the overarching psyche of the two are strikingly different.

We Trekkies, after such hit shows as Enterprise and top-grossing blockbusters as Final Frontier, Generations and Nemesis, have a fundamentally different attitude towards creative changes and artistic decisions that we might not have ourselves approved of. We have come abide retcons, rehashes and continuity disagreements with the loving patience of a housewife who has perennial trouble with stairs and doorknobs.

Star Trek really loves us, but we don't watch the movies right or buy the DVDs hard enough, so occassionally we make them do such things to us.

If we do not quietly take our punishment it might get worse.

But as a recepient of the Eunice Robbins Order of Obscurity I am qualified to say that, this, as a the potential to be the first decent movie in the francise in over a decade, is a good hurt.

George Lucas however, can suck a fuck.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 16 Nov 2008 06:50

I mean

after Vulcans landed on Earth a couple of hundred years before they were supposed to have even heard of humans to invent Velcro® to send a struggling student to college

there was no doubt as to who wore the belt and wasn't afraid to bring it out. It was our fault for not liking Voyager enough.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 19 Nov 2008 17:54

I stand corrected:
I’m shocked that I seem to be the first one here to point out the fact that the nacelle length to mass ratio (NLMR for all you newbs) of this thing is so far out of Cochranean spec that it will never maintain a warp field beyond 6.3 for longer than 30 seconds unless every ounce (and I mean EVERY ounce) of dilithium is dedicated to the structural integrity field to keep this abomination from being squashed like a Targ flea in subspace. Cochrane’s fourth law clearly states that W= 1/.76*(K/r3) when (and only when) K is greater than the LMR which must also be greater than half of r which OBVIOUSLY is not the case here unlike Roddenberry’s original 1701 was! Shame on JJ for not knowing this! If this thing makes it out of space dock it will be a complete miracle. An absolute bucket of bolts. May you all choke on your popcorn for seeing this film. Shaka…when the walls fell!

exelis

Post by exelis » 19 Nov 2008 23:53

Seriously wrote:I stand corrected:
I’m shocked that I seem to be the first one here to point out the fact that the nacelle length to mass ratio (NLMR for all you newbs) of this thing is so far out of Cochranean spec that it will never maintain a warp field beyond 6.3 for longer than 30 seconds unless every ounce (and I mean EVERY ounce) of dilithium is dedicated to the structural integrity field to keep this abomination from being squashed like a Targ flea in subspace. Cochrane’s fourth law clearly states that W= 1/.76*(K/r3) when (and only when) K is greater than the LMR which must also be greater than half of r which OBVIOUSLY is not the case here unlike Roddenberry’s original 1701 was! Shame on JJ for not knowing this! If this thing makes it out of space dock it will be a complete miracle. An absolute bucket of bolts. May you all choke on your popcorn for seeing this film. Shaka…when the walls fell!
What a fucking waste of intelligence. Imagine if that person devoted half the attention to another, real, useful field of study.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 20 Nov 2008 01:39

Seriously wrote:I stand corrected:
Damn, it's tough being right all the time. :lol:

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 20 Nov 2008 05:02

Eve? Is that you? :blink:

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 20 Nov 2008 19:20

The last sentence did it for me.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 22 Nov 2008 19:58

So Enterprise will have vectoring nacelles which can turn on the support struts but even more shocking will be that Nero the bad guy will be gay with his second in command.

That is right Nero the gay Romulan in Sta Trek film.

This has completely destroyed canon.

I will pray for all Star Trek fans and hope they make it through this turbulant times of their lives and hope they don't not kill themselves or shoot up a film studio.

I ask any Star Trek fan to seek help if they feel their childhood has bee violated by this destruction of their
mental landscape.
First I’d like to apologize to “The Great bird of the galaxy” On behave of Paramount, & J.J. “Lost” Abrams. I am truly sorry that they have taken your dream which has made millions of people happy for 40+ years and twisted it into some far from what you envisioned.
Next I’d like to mention that this badly “reinventing” of star trek is only another in a long line of rehashed classic sci-fi It started with Lost in space then battlestar Glatica Movie studios care about money not fans. I have two theories 1) JJ Abrams Has been sent back in time to destroy the Federation before it exist (Which I’m guessing would have made a better plot.) or 2) He was hired by the studio to put an end to all that silly star Trek nonsense.
It is very Gratifying when you can look on the internet and see several groups of fans getting it right, maybe they are working with home computers and cardboard sets. But they are getting it right! Why because they care as all Star Trek Fans Care. All I ask is this MR. Abrams Please Rename this film Star Track.

See,

when I think "Shaka: when the walls fell", it is for things such as these.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 11 May 2009 08:20

Saw it yesterday. LOVED it. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this movie. 10/10

As soon as it ended, my first thought was "Wow... I wanna watch that again!"
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 12 May 2009 08:19

Oh yes, it's quite good.

By the way, if anyone is curious about the backstory, just quash it. There is a comic mini-series that explains everything but it is just the dumbest shit.

The only thing that isn't just bullshit terrible is the reasoning for the tattoos. If you're curious I'll detail that right now so you don't have to wade through the sewage: In Romulan culture when someone dies the ones close to them to paint their face with various symbols denoting grief, which fades as time passes to symbolize the time of mourning and its eventual end. However, in this case the tattooing is permanent as there will never be any moving on from the tragedy that these particular Romulans experienced.