Star Trek

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

Bob

Re: Star Trek

Post by Bob » 13 May 2009 04:01

I was never really a star trek fan (star wars all the way) but this movie really was good. I hope they make some more in this style I would be a lot more interested in this series.

In the movie he said something about the romulans and vulcans being related to each other somehow whats the deal with that?

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 13 May 2009 05:01

Bob wrote:I was never really a star trek fan (star wars all the way) but this movie really was good. I hope they make some more in this style I would be a lot more interested in this series.

In the movie he said something about the romulans and vulcans being related to each other somehow whats the deal with that?
I know very little about Star Trek also, having only seen about two dozen episodes of The Next Generation back in the late 80s, and probably about 4 or 5 of the old movies... but I think I remember something about both species being related (hence the pointy ears on both), but their civilizations were split up? In any case, it appears that the Vulcan society is one of pure logic, void of emotion, whereas the Romulans are motivated by pure emotion. Maybe this was the cause of the initial division?
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 13 May 2009 07:01

Romulans are offshoots of Vulcans. They're descended from the group of Vulcans who left for elsewhere when the let's-all-be-emotionless-pascifist-philosophers movement was becoming all the rage.

Vulcans were, back in the day, just the meanest things. Romulans are a bit of a throwback to that, though of course still way nicer than their common ancestor.

This is actually how Spock got involved in the whole thing. He was secretly the Vulcan ambassador to the underground reunification movement on Romulus.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 13 May 2009 07:17

Hilariously (I think), Vulcans are ostensibly the more well-adjusted of the two species, but Romulans don't seem to have anything like potentially terminal bouts of mindless lust or fighting rival males to the death at marriage ceremonies.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 13 May 2009 19:04

I remember that one episode of TNG where spocks old man was that emo he caused everyone else on the ship to become ultra emo. Picard and big balls Riker almost came to fisty-cuffs!

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 14 May 2009 05:07

Dunno what movie you all saw, but this was as disappointing as disappointing gets. :bah:

smash

Post by smash » 14 May 2009 07:30

I liked it. I'm not sure about turning the history on it's head...but whatever.

For me there was almost TOO much fast-paced action. But not so much that I'd complain about it.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 14 May 2009 17:27

efilflah wrote:Dunno what movie you all saw, but this was as disappointing as disappointing gets. :bah:
A better question would be, what movie did you see? If you didn't like it, YOU are in the minority, which means you shouldn't start pointing fingers.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/
Reviews Counted: 245
Fresh: 234
Rotten:11
Average Rating: 8.1/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/
8.6/10 - 34,960 votes
IMDB top 250 movies of all time: #62

I'm not saying everyone else is right and you're wrong... but don't act like we saw something different than you did. You just didn't understand/appreciate it on the level that the majority of people did. I think this video was made for you:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/t ... _trek_film
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 15 May 2009 04:39

lol Dex, I'm not some obsessed Trekkie who was mentally prepared to hate this film, but I am a fan of the series' and just feel that out of all the attempted 'reboots' of late, this has to be the weakest by far (in my obviously unpopular opinion).

To me it just seemed like a generic, badly scripted sci-fi movie to me (not that previous ST movies have been super awesome or anything), but it felt totally interchangeable with any other sci-fi movie. They could've erased all of the ST elements and it pretty much wouldn't have made a difference; which in my opinion is a huge flaw when trying to bring back popularity to a supposedly dying, though much loved franchise made popular moreso for it's subject matters and sense of family than it's big budget special effects and constant cringeworthy attempts at comic relief.

I don't get this hollywood mentality that everything has to follow the same formula over and over until we are all satisfied with one big generic flavour of film, which is the category of movie I feel this slots into.

I, sadly may be in the ever growing minority, and in the future when movies are practically all the same and we live in an equilibrium type world with no creative outlets Christian Bale may attempt to put things right, as no doubt he will be around then cos he's in everything.

Oh, and I don't care how much of a fan he claims to be, Urban sucked ass as a young McCoy.

Die soon and flounder ST reboot.

smash

Post by smash » 15 May 2009 21:02

Urban stole the show. Even more than Quinto did.

I hated the actor playing Kirk, frankly. And I thought they played Kirk as a smarmy turd...I never really had that impression of Kirk.

As for the story, they changed the time line to open the door for future Trek films set in that era. I hate time travel as a plot device (well documented in my arguings with Angelbaby and Dex) but I actually didn't mind it too much in this story.

I thought the pace was a bit too much, and I am not a fan of the jerky camera action. It made me think JJ Abrams was channeling Michael Bay.

All in all though, I give the film an 8 out of 10. I wouldn't rush to go see it agian, but I enjoyed it and was never bored.

Bob

Post by Bob » 19 May 2009 02:54

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892

Still I enjoyed it and want to see it again. Also it caused me to be curious about this movie and other things in this storyline.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 25 May 2009 15:41

Dex wrote:Saw it yesterday. LOVED it. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this movie. 10/10

As soon as it ended, my first thought was "Wow... I wanna watch that again!"
This.

Finally saw it today and wanted to go back for moar as soon as the credits started rolling.

smash

Post by smash » 27 May 2009 20:22

Seriously and efilflah this is for you:

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 28 May 2009 05:08

smash wrote:Seriously and efilflah this is for you:

Um... Look 6 posts up, captain caveman.