Scary movies

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

Dex
Big Daddy

Scary movies

Post by Dex » 03 Jul 2009 11:36

Talking to a friend today about how I really don't like scary movies. My friend proved me wrong after a few minutes, when I started to list what I thought were 2 or 3 GOOD scary movies.
Once I named 3, I named several more... which is when I realized that the only "good" scary movies (horror, suspense, thriller, etc) that I really enjoy all have 2 things in common: confined spaces & psycological fear.

I'm talking about movies where a group of people are confined indoors, and the fear comes not only from whats outside (or sometimes inside, but unseen), but also the natural parranoia and terror of the human mind... and how human can turn against human.
Examples;

The Shining
Quarantine (REC)
Dawn of the Dead
Event Horrizon
The Mist
Alien
House on Haunted Hill
The Thing
Evil Dead 2

Just to name a few...
Can anyone find any other examples to add to my list? Or do you hate this genre of scary movies, and perfer random gore (Saw, Hostel, etc) and blood?
Or better yet, can you think of any movies that do fit into this list... but failed at being a good movie (in your opinion).
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Re: Scary movies

Post by AngelBaby » 03 Jul 2009 12:20

As far as confined spaces, it doesn't get much worse than The Descent. I actually felt claustrophobic during parts of that movie.

Other fave scary movies:

The Ring
Alien
The Shining
The Grudge
Dawn of the Dead
Event Horizon
28 Days Later
Quarantine
The Thing
Tale of Two Sisters
Seven
Silent Hill
Open Water

smash

Post by smash » 03 Jul 2009 12:35

I think you are like me, if the plot is bad, then it's crap. Period. If it's good, then it's something I like. I always say I generally don't like Scary Movies, either.

Ring was amazing. Love that film.
Descent was good.

I plan on watching Quarantine but I haven't heard anyone other than you two who liked it.

I sincerely did not like Event Horizon at all. I know you both loved it, I thought it was schlocky and poorly acted.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 04 Jul 2009 06:06

I've been telling people this for ages.
I'm talking about movies where a group of people are confined indoors, and the fear comes not only from whats outside (or sometimes inside, but unseen), but also the natural parranoia and terror of the human mind....
^ This, I believe, is one of the few ways to make a genuinely decent horror film. Keep the numbers down, and concentrate on building atmosphere not assaulting the viewer with relentless shocks and gore.

I love the horror genre, but most modern attempts barely fall into the category of horror. They're just rebranded action movies with a horror theme it's pathetic.

My mind has gone blank for any good examples but this is what I can come up with for now (not necessarily all good, and not necessarily all claustrophobic either):

Session 9
Don't look now
In the mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Videodrome
The Hitcher
Candyman
Nightwatch (not the shitty russian bollox)
Jacob's Ladder
Hellraiser
May
The Night Flyer
The Fly
Deathwatch
Vinyan

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 04 Jul 2009 18:02

Candyman and Jacobs ladder were probably the only two films that ever unnerved me and at the time I was fairly young. Having said that the Descent was "jumpy". I think "horror" is best suited for a younger audience who doesn’t really know any better. I do like the genre though, especially when watching it with the g/f. I love it when a moment of suspense has her shitting bricks... thats my queue to grab her leg and scream in her face.

Gets her every time.