...is MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME!!

Thumbs up™

srs.

It was Star Trek levels of kick ass.

P.S Critics are cocksuckers.

smash

Re: G.I JOE...

Post by smash » 10 Aug 2009 21:36

I didn't really care that much for Star Trek. So I'm not sure what to make of this...

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 10 Aug 2009 22:38

Wow. I did not expect to see this news today.

I was planning on seeing Yo Joe with low expectations, and my plans have been flip turned upside down.

Justin
zoom zoom

Post by Justin » 13 Aug 2009 12:24

the redhead is hot in this one

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 16 Aug 2009 16:59

Star Trek levels of kick ass? Hardly. Unless you are talking about any of the Star Trek movies post-2009.

Perhaps it was a bad idea to see G.I. Joe right after seeing the epicness that was District 9, but nevertheless, it was exactly what I expected: a live action cartoon (to sell toys), with sometimes painful CG (worthy of a straight-to-video release), sub-par acting (on par with the Mummy movies), and general fanboyisms across the board.

So I'll break it down on a scale of 1-10;
acting = 3
story = 4
camera = 4
editing = 5
special effects = 3
plot holes = 10
nerd factor = 8

Bonus round!
Brendan Fraser cameo = minus 10
Not casting Brendan Fraser as any of the main cast = plus 50

Strangely enough, I have to give mad props to the fanboy aspect of the movie. All the character's names were exactly like the cartoon/toys. No explanation, it was just their name/call sign/nickname. X-men made fun of the idea of this ("Cyclops. Storm. what do they call you... wheels?"), but in the absurd world of G.I. Joe, the names were just... names. And that was a huge aspect of the movie being very lighthearted and fun. Another aspect was the weapons, both vehicle & handheld, which were 80% "laser" in nature, just like the cartoon. G.I. Joe always had guns & shooting, but never bullets.

Now that I think of it, G.I. Joe was almost the equivalent of the Fantastic Four movies, which were extremely fun and silly, but also entertaining... combined with the toughness (and bad acting) of the Fast & the Furious franchise.

I know both of those movie series were titled "FF" in some way. That's just a coincidence.

Now I have to compare it to Transformers 1 & 2, since they are on the same playing field of "cartoon/toy/remade into modern" movies. GI Joe was 20x better than Transformers... but that's not saying much. I'd give T1 a C- and T2 a D.

G.I. Joe didn't take itself too seriously, and was full of energy and fun. At the very least, it's a C+.
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 16 Aug 2009 17:06

smash wrote:I didn't really care that much for Star Trek. So I'm not sure what to make of this...
I'm sorry, I have to call shenanigans here. You enjoyed Star Trek... maybe you forgot in your old age?

If I may quote you from the Star Trek thread;
I liked it. I'm not sure about turning the history on it's head...but whatever.

For me there was almost TOO much fast-paced action. But not so much that I'd complain about it.
I thought the pace was a bit too much, and I am not a fan of the jerky camera action. It made me think JJ Abrams was channeling Michael Bay.

All in all though, I give the film an 8 out of 10. I wouldn't rush to go see it agian, but I enjoyed it and was never bored.
Smash = hypocrite.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 17 Aug 2009 09:58

Missed our showtime for District 9 last night, so saw this instead.

Like others here, I was entertained far more than I would have thought, most likely due to incredibly low expectations going in. Overall, I'd give it a solid C+

And boy, Cover Girl sure had a short run in the series.

*ack*

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 17 Aug 2009 12:17

AngelBaby wrote:Overall, I'd give it a solid C+
So... I was right? Again? ^_^
AngelBaby wrote:And boy, Cover Girl sure had a short run in the series.

*ack*
Yeah, really. Did she even have any lines? I think I saw her on screen for about 15 seconds, tops.

Also, seeing a commercial on TV this evening reminded me of the stupidest part of the movie; at the very end, when the ice above the underwater base cracks and fall- WAIT what?
Someone needs to inform the director that ICE FLOATS. Why the hell were chunks of ice falling down through the water at breakneck speeds? Even if ice could magically sink ( :lol: ), it wouldn't be plummeting down to Cobra HQ so fast.

smash

Post by smash » 17 Aug 2009 19:12

Dex wrote:
smash wrote:I didn't really care that much for Star Trek. So I'm not sure what to make of this...
I'm sorry, I have to call shenanigans here. You enjoyed Star Trek... maybe you forgot in your old age?

If I may quote you from the Star Trek thread;
I liked it. I'm not sure about turning the history on it's head...but whatever.

For me there was almost TOO much fast-paced action. But not so much that I'd complain about it.
I thought the pace was a bit too much, and I am not a fan of the jerky camera action. It made me think JJ Abrams was channeling Michael Bay.

All in all though, I give the film an 8 out of 10. I wouldn't rush to go see it agian, but I enjoyed it and was never bored.
Smash = hypocrite.

No. It was ok. It wasn't worthy of running out and seeing again. The further I got from it, the further I just felt 'meh' about it. I think it's my perpetual hang up about time traveling as a plot device. It's probably down to about a 6 out of 10 in my mind now.

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 18 Aug 2009 07:31

Don't let the Darko Fags hear you say that.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 06 Nov 2009 20:04

I'm watching my G.I. Joe blu-ray right now. GO JOE