District 9

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

Dex
Big Daddy

District 9

Post by Dex » 16 Aug 2009 09:17

Hmm... no topics on D9 yet? Strange...

I just got back from seeing it, and it was amazing. It met & exceeded all of my expectations.
The acting was the most surprising element, since everyone in the movie is from South Africa - IE no one you've ever seen in a movie before.
The action... wow. It started to build very slowly from the beginning, and by the end, it was non-stop bullets/missiles & bodies exploding.
The music was all orchestral, which fit the mood perfectly. And, speaking of mood, the irony & allusions to real life racism & bigotry was not subtle at all. This isn't a sci-fi action adventure movie, it's very deep at times, and also very disturbing.
I love character development in films, and D9's main character was a perfect example of why. At the start of the movie (and through the first 30-40%), you really don't like him. He's rude, obnoxious & tends to ramble on and on. As the story progresses, you start to empathize with him, and he also slowly changes into the hero that reveals himself in the final 20 minutes. His development thought the story (again, like the action) was very slow and progressive; it felt very natural and realistic, which I think goes into helping the audience relate to him & care what happens to him.

All in all, I really can't think of a single bad thing to say about the movie, with some small plot issues... but honestly, that's just me being picky. It's too bad Star Trek came out in 2009 as well, because I'm going to have trouble deciding which was the best movie of the year.

A
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

UncleMao

Re: District 9

Post by UncleMao » 16 Aug 2009 16:28

watched it yesterday night.

still speechless

best sci fi film in arguably a decade

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 17 Aug 2009 08:42

I am looking forward to this movie.
UncleMao wrote:watched it yesterday night.

still speechless

best sci fi film in arguably a decade
Watch "Moon". That is also a good modern sci-fi movie.

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 18 Aug 2009 07:27

Here in reverseworld, film releases dates are remarkably inconsistent.

There is a commitee somewhere higher up who think they know when to release movies to make more money... but they are clearly retarded.

For example: GI JOE and District 9 broke here about 3 days before the States.

BUT

On the other hand, PUSH has yet to receive a cinematic release. And that's like months away.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 18 Aug 2009 09:21

UncleMao wrote:Here in reverseworld, film releases dates are remarkably inconsistent.

There is a commitee somewhere higher up who think they know when to release movies to make more money... but they are clearly retarded.

For example: GI JOE and District 9 broke here about 3 days before the States.

BUT

On the other hand, PUSH has yet to receive a cinematic release. And that's like months away.
It also has a lot to do with where the movie was filmed & where production companies are. Push was almost entirely in asia, so it came out in theaters in the east 6 months earlier than in the US, as well as on DVD about 6 months before the US release.

Two other examples are Taken (filmed in europe) and the Hurt Locker (filmed in the middle east), which I saw on an imported region 5 DVD almost a year before they were in theaters in America.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 18 Aug 2009 10:48

Dex wrote:Two other examples are Taken (filmed in europe) and the Hurt Locker (filmed in the middle east), which I saw on an imported region 5 DVD almost a year before they were in theaters in America.
Also...

arr. :pirate:

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 26 Aug 2009 15:01

Saw these on *chan earlier today. Blank image, and ppl put their own text on it. Here are my favorites;

psyper

Post by psyper » 26 Aug 2009 17:29

I am so hyped up about this film and I haven't even seen it. Saw the trailer in the US a couple of months ago and me and the wife were like - ooh look its a racist documentary about saffy's n stuff. Then the 'They are not - HUMAN' popped up and the whole ship, alien, interrogation shit happened and we were both looking at each other eyes wide, jaws dropped :eek: <- just like that!
Been raving about it ever since. I really hope i'm not disappointed - I really want just one serious sci-fi alien film for once - after that fuckup with war of the worlds - I neeed this.
Love the viral stuff - the websites, the facebook community, the HUMANS ONLY signs dotted around - I really want one of those!!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 26 Aug 2009 18:20

psyper wrote:I am so hyped up about this film and I haven't even seen it. Saw the trailer in the US a couple of months ago and me and the wife were like - ooh look its a racist documentary about saffy's n stuff. Then the 'They are not - HUMAN' popped up and the whole ship, alien, interrogation shit happened and we were both looking at each other eyes wide, jaws dropped :eek: <- just like that!
Been raving about it ever since. I really hope i'm not disappointed - I really want just one serious sci-fi alien film for once - after that fuckup with war of the worlds - I neeed this.
Love the viral stuff - the websites, the facebook community, the HUMANS ONLY signs dotted around - I really want one of those!!
I know its impossible, but you can't go in with high expectations.
I mean... you can. But then you will walk out and say "meh... it's about what I expected"

It's great... but you need to go in with a blank slate (if possible), and just lose yourself in the movie. Don't think about trailers or reviews. In fact, forget you are watching a movie at all... and you will leave the theater like :shock:

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 26 Aug 2009 20:04

Well, I went in with high expectations due to the rave reviews I'd heard from this year's San Diego Comic Con, and the movie still blew me away. Right up there with Star Trek on my 'Best of 2009' list. I give it a solid A.

Oh, and this is my fave of the posters...

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 01 Sep 2009 17:53

Smash doesn't want me to tell you that he fucking hated District 9.

He's actually physically afraid of what you would do to him.

But I argue... How could one find it in their heart of hearts to shovel bludgeon the head juice out of a certifiable fucking retard?

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 02 Sep 2009 19:09

Smash is dead to me.
Not for not agreeing with what I agree with... but for having total lack of judgment. I can understand if you didn't like the alien/sci-fi aspect. I can also understand if you didn't like the acting, or the camera work. But all that aside, the story and character development of D-9... it was a piece of art. It was like watching Leonardo paint the Mona Lisa. and then some old piece of shit comes along and goes; BLARG! That painting is boring and stupid.

WOW. Really? I can't take any opinion you have seriously now. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong... but your opinion is so much the opposite of mine, I don't know how to classify it.

If I saw a color and said it was BLACK, and you came along and said it was WHITE... I don't know who is right, but you are not seeing what I'm seeing. I'm almost enraged that you can't see the obvious white right in front of you. Can't you at least see a shade of white? Grey? No? Just black? I don't know how to reply to that. It's obviously white.

My friend Michelle saw D-9 the weekend it came out. Sadly, the projector broke and she was issued free passes for her and her friends. She saw 50% of the movie, and thought it was "ok" but wasn't sure if she should use her free passes to see that same 50% of a movie again, plus the unseen other 50%. I pushed and encouraged her for several days. She posted this on her LJ 3 days ago;
District 9 was incredible!!! I'm so happy I went back to see the rest of it. I really think it was the best movie I saw this summer. The pacing was pretty much perfect in that it just kept building to a frenzied (and extended) crescendo. Just awesome to watch. And I love that Wikus, even as the movie is drawing to its climax, still retains that essential selfishness that guided his actions. He certainly was not a perfect hero, and the script and acting doesn't let you forget that.
This is a 28yo college graduate who works in a library and sees 4-5 movies a week. She knows the difference between good acting/writing/directing/editing, and bad. She owns ZERO cats. :shock:

Bob

Post by Bob » 02 Sep 2009 22:15

You guys its not his fault. Remember, this is what smash is used to.

smash

Post by smash » 03 Sep 2009 01:53

Dex, how am I dead to your for what I held wrong in my opinion. You didn't even hear what my opinion of what I didn't like about the movie.

Not that it matters at this point, apparently.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 03 Sep 2009 02:52

smash wrote:Dex, how am I dead to your for what I held wrong in my opinion. You didn't even hear what my opinion of what I didn't like about the movie.
Full disclosure: I paraphrased for Dex what you told me about your D9 experience after he noticed Mao's post.

I knew this would end badly. You boys play nice!