Dune 7

no description could cover what is likely to happen in here...

Moderator: Seriously

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 27 Aug 2007 12:02

So Sandworms of Dune came out like 20 days ago and I completely missed it.

I've heard nothing about it until five minutes ago where it was mentioned in passing. I don't know if it's good or not, nevertheless I must collect them all, I've come too far not to see how it turns out.

I'll probably get it by Wednesday, I have obligations the next two days that preclude me spending lots of time reading.

smash

Post by smash » 28 Aug 2007 02:22

I bought it already received it about a week ago from amazon. I have yet to start reading it because I am engrossed in the latest Star Wars novel series, where Han and Leia's child, Jacen Solo, is rapidly falling into the footsteps of his grandfather.

That and I wanted to save the book to enjoy during my hunting trip, as I sit for hours and hours out in the relaxing nature.

The Deadly Superman

Post by The Deadly Superman » 28 Aug 2007 20:56

I haven't ever read the books. I always meant to, never got around to it. Saw the movie though. I liked it. And I've read the basic plot and history of Dune on Wikipedia. Wikipedia is my cliffnotes, but a never-ending Cliffnotes that fascinates me for hours.

What subject were we on again? Dunes?

I don't know, I've never been to Las Vegas, but didn't that place close in like 1993?

Yeah, The Bellagio is now on the place The Dunes was on. They talked about it in Ocean's Thirteen. The Bellagio is the hotel in Las Vegas with the big fountains in the front. I always thought that it wasted a lot of water. But we have plenty of water here on Earth.

Hey, but what if we didn't?

What if we lived on a planet that had almost no water and water was considered so precious that people wore suits that collected any sweat or moisture that you body gave off and recycled it? That'd make an awesome sci-fi book.

And to make it more interesting we could add giant worms and a powerful, but dangerous magical substance.

I think I'm on to something there...

smash

Post by smash » 29 Aug 2007 00:36

I'm in favor of all people reading the Dune novels. The first book was an excellent analogy of the Jeebus Christ story in a sci-fi form. Frank Herbert created a deep physcological, complex story but managed to keep it very entertaining to read. There are snippets within where he breaks into political machinations or commentary on society and it's great.

The next few books, he devolves into overly heady stuff. It's more on Seriously's level, not mine. But I feel somewhat smarter having read it.

The culmination is in God Emperor Dune...but I've talked about that earlier in this thread; I won't re-bore everyone.

If you like sci-fi and you can understand most of Seriously, Frank Herbert is for you...

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 29 Aug 2007 04:24

Man I'm not some comparative lit. guy.

Anyways, I accidentally bought the book and read it yesterday.

I was looking for something else but began to despair when it wasn't to be found, so I got Sandworms instead.

I don't think it quite went where Herbert Sr. was intending.

But: we'll never know.

It isn't terrible or anything.

Although for some reason I think that the last line was lifted verbatim from H Sr.'s notes.