Conclude your affairs

no description could cover what is likely to happen in here...

Moderator: Seriously

This is how the world Ends:

A portal to let the alien invaders/demons through
No votes
Creating a black hole that eats the Earth
40%
Everything turning to strangelets ice-nine style
No votes
The Higgs Boson being very annoyed that we just won't let it the fuck alone
No votes
Nuclear winter, this is just misdirection by the communists
20%
LHC@Home taking everyone's megahertz
No votes
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
No votes
Global warming or overpopulation and not enough resources or some other boring shit like that
No votes
Big-ass asteriod, same as it always was
40%
Where we're going, you won't need eyes to see
No votes

Total votes: 5

Seriously

Conclude your affairs

Post by Seriously » 10 Feb 2008 23:56

The world will end in May.

That's when the LHC at CERN goes live. It is 16.5 miles of pure blasphemy curving back on itself, built to speed the most basic building blocks of creation to unholy speeds and crash them into each other to see how they hurt each other.

Its heretical search for the "God particle" will surely result in the wrath of the divine.

This is the new Tower of Babel, so godless that it had to be located in both France and Switzerland.

This one guy told me that this thing has a .000001% chance of killing us all.

But do the scientists care?

No

They only care about their gay marriage and their nationalized health care.

But look what happens when they make their precious "strangelet":

How will this affront to God kill us all?

When is the exact date and time this heresy will being operating [for count-down purposes]

WHAT WILL HATH SCIENCE WROUGHT?

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Re: Conclude your affairs

Post by AngelBaby » 11 Feb 2008 11:37

I ain't afraid of no big bad boson.

Giant rocks hitting the planet at 38,000 mph never bodes well.

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 11 Feb 2008 12:11

Bah. This is just another gimmick to sell more Coca Cola.

psyper

Post by psyper » 14 Feb 2008 06:14

Scientist reckon that the reason why we dont hear radio signals from intelligent life is because they reach the level of nuclear technology and anhilliate themselves through war. Its a bit nieve to assume that alien intelligent are anywhere near as war like as ourselves and its stupid to stamp human social issues on to anything else non-human let alone non-earth-based. The real reason why we dont get any ultra intelligent beings visiting is because the try to work out the nature of the universe - build themselves a super-collider and create a mini-blackhole that eats their planet in one foul swoop.
Did I read somewhere that they used a smaller super collider and created a mini-blackhole that survived for a couple of millliseconds before evaporating? What happens if they create one using this collider and it lasts long enough to consume the odd air molecule which will then increase its gravity pull and stop it evaporating and thus has the knock on effect of pulling everything else in.
Keep an eye on the european websites - if they all start going offline one by one hold on to america guys - its gonna be a bumpy ride!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

smash

Post by smash » 14 Feb 2008 19:26

They also created anti-matter at CRNE. There was fear that would end all as we know it too. I'm too dumb to know if these fears are rational or irrational in principle.

The Deadly Superman

Post by The Deadly Superman » 14 Feb 2008 22:43

IN the event of a strangelet-induced apocalypse, there would not be big 'splosions and storms, of course I figure that was for theatrical effect. The earth would just slowly be consumed by an ever-growing mass, like a sub-subatomic cancer. No big deal.

However, Strangelets are still in the realm of hypothetical existence. I don't know whether the fact that it might not even exist is factored in the .000001%.

The problem with the hypothesis is that a strangelet is theorized to be more stable than conventional atoms and matter, so it would make sense for it to be more common. Neutron stars should be full of the stuff. But they're not.

(Here's a side note, but for some reason I imagine it in my mind as having the appearance of graphite-colored oatmeal. I don't know why.)
smash wrote:They also created anti-matter at CRNE. There was fear that would end all as we know it too. I'm too dumb to know if these fears are rational or irrational in principle.
Antimatter is produced quite often in particle accelerators, but from what I've heard is it's always produced with it's pair, which quickly annihilates each other. The production of it is a couple nanograms per year.

It happens naturally in space for no real reason at all. Of course there's a lot of things that happen it space that we don't necessarily want occurring on Earth.

smash

Post by smash » 18 Feb 2008 10:54