Detroit 1-8-7

TV talk.

Moderator: smash

smash

Detroit 1-8-7

Post by smash » 26 Sep 2010 08:25

I'm curious who watched the premiere and what anyone thought of it.

Dex
Big Daddy

Re: Detroit 1-8-7

Post by Dex » 26 Sep 2010 14:04

I watched 20 minutes of it (so far) the other day. I didn't hate it, but it didn't really stand out from any other generic cop show. I might watch the rest tomorrow, but I doubt it.

I'm hesitant to watch because either A. It will be dumb, or B. I'll like it.

I don't want to like it... which sounds strange, I know.
I saw literally ZERO promotion for this show, and only knew about it from my work constructing FALL 2010 SHOWS lists that no one reads. No one IRL has asked me about it, and if I brought it up, I don't think any of my friends would know what I'm talking about. I only TiVo'ed the first episode because you & tranny said you were. I have a feeling, without even watching the entire episode, that this show will not last long.
:|
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

psyper

Post by psyper » 26 Sep 2010 16:12

Dex wrote:... from my work constructing FALL 2010 SHOWS lists that no one reads.
Not true. If I found it any more useful and timesaving I would have to print it out and pin it to the fridge!!
(did that come out right? should read it as - i find it so useful that the next step would be to print it out and pin it to the fridge so I see it every day!? :/ )

Never heard of Detroit 187 either but then I'm on this tiny island that means little to the rest of the world nowadays but I seem to be the only one here who realises that! Might have to acquire it for further study.

Anyone care to complete this sentence so I know what to expect:

"If you like X you'll love Detroit 1-8-7."
(Don't say nypd blue as I haven't seen that!)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 26 Sep 2010 19:29

psyper wrote:"If you like generic cop shows that have an identity crisis you'll love Detroit 1-8-7."
To be fair I haven't seen it, but that is the general consensus of the reviews I' ve read.

P.S. Smallville's premiere was awesome :ph34r:

smash

Post by smash » 26 Sep 2010 21:50

I watched it, giving it a full chance because it's set and filmed in my part of the universe. Although, it looks as if no one has chimed in saying that they've seen it fully yet...I don't want to jade any opinions. I'll keep my mouth shut for a bit until Angelbaby chimes in or until Dex decides to watch or give up on it.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 27 Sep 2010 10:11

OK, I finished it, and it wasn't half bad. Reminded me a bit of Southland (which I love), but I honestly didn't care about any of the characters, including whats-his-face. I think the only character that I liked was Shaun Majumder, but he's a likeable comedian so that wasn't a surprise. Oh and the mexican detective was hawt.

The ending was pretty cool, but I saw it coming *spoiler alert* I mean, who hands over an un-handcuffed prisoner to a single police officer all by himself? Dumb.

So anyways, it was good, but it wasn't great, so no more recording. If I hear later that it is/was an amazing show, perhaps I'll catch up on it over the winter/summer breaks.
psyper wrote:
Dex wrote:... from my work constructing FALL 2010 SHOWS lists that no one reads.
Not true. If I found it any more useful and timesaving I would have to print it out and pin it to the fridge!!
Thank you :wub:

smash

Post by smash » 27 Sep 2010 18:53

I found the tone to be a bit unsure of itself. It seemed light part comedy, light part drama. As a result to that, or just my own interpretation, but I felt the lack of soundtracks, and the dialogue to be very distracting.

I think it was supposed to be like The Wire (I never saw Southland so I can't say if this followed the same pattern) where the story was meant to feel more real. But like Dex, I didn't connect with any of the characters... at least not yet.

I'll keep with it, for now.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 27 Sep 2010 23:38

All things considered, I thought it was pretty good, though I'm partial to cop shows for obvious reasons. ;) It kinda reminded me of Homicide, except set in Detroit instead of Baltimore. The ending caught me by surprise, I'll be interested to see if someone who appeared to be a main character was killed off in the first episode.

Final verdict: I'll keep up with it, but won't be devastated if it gets the axe in the next month or so.

smash

Post by smash » 28 Sep 2010 01:07

I hope it continues, but I think it needs to find it's voice better and soon. I'm all for the economy getting stimulated here in Michigan. Apparently an old co-worker of mine has an appearance in the fourth episode as an extra. She's actually done 8 or 9 tv/movies now. She has tons of pictures on her Facebook with celebs, Ray Liotta, etc. I guess Scream 4 was shot here too.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 29 Oct 2010 06:43

This continues to get better each week, I hope the ratings are good enough to allow them to develop the characters over a full season.

smash

Post by smash » 05 Dec 2010 20:41

AngelBaby wrote:This continues to get better each week, I hope the ratings are good enough to allow them to develop the characters over a full season.

Have you stuck with it? I bet you have. I'm enjoying it more each episode. They are really taking their time building out the backstories, but overall I think it's getting it's voice better and better.

The last episode when Detective Fich (Michael Imperioli) finally remembered the name of the restaurant, Le Petit Zinc. It's a real place. I've never been there, and I wouldn't really care to; but it exists.

FYI - I am CONSTANTLY asked if those cityscape shots are real, especially of the urban blight. The answer is simply, yes.

psyper

Post by psyper » 05 Dec 2010 21:34

I watched the first episode and downloaded the next two but haven't watched those yet - time to watch the rest me thinks
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 06 Dec 2010 05:55

Much like a chipmunk gathering as much food as possible before winter, I must find some shows in order to survive the final 2.5 weeks of December, which are quickly approaching.

That being said, I've decided to download the existing 9 episodes of this show (minus ep 1 which I saw), and set ep 10 to record on my tivo. Like I said a few months ago, it's not a bad show, but I just didn't have time for it back in September.

smash

Post by smash » 06 Dec 2010 09:50

Dex wrote:Much like a chipmunk gathering as much food as possible before winter, I must find some shows in order to survive the final 2.5 weeks of December, which are quickly approaching.

That being said, I've decided to download the existing 9 episodes of this show (minus ep 1 which I saw), and set ep 10 to record on my tivo. Like I said a few months ago, it's not a bad show, but I just didn't have time for it back in September.

heh, i know the feeling bro. My DVR has been empty the last two days. I'm back to catching up on Sons of Anarchy and finally watching Boardwalk Empire OnDemand.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 08 Dec 2010 05:01

How can you not be watching Boardwalk every week? It's epic!

I also want more shows for chrimbo, since I don't watch Dexter, I've got like 5 seasons to download.

I'm so paranoid tho, after watching Firefly and other shows that got cut down in their prime, I'm hesitant to start in on these new ones. I just got finished with all of the Deadwoods, and I can't believe they didn't renew that. Cunts!