TOP FIVE

TV talk.

Moderator: smash

Dex
Big Daddy

TOP FIVE

Post by Dex » 29 Oct 2010 18:04

So I had a good idea that will get 3-4 replies and/or last for about 1-2 months before it's buried in other topics and forgotten about. Sounds great, right? Lets play :dance:

If you could have ANY* five shows available to watch RIGHT NOW, what order would those five be viewed? AND WHY?
* the show must be currently on the air. No canceled shows, but shows slated to return eventually are OK

Imagine you came home from a year long vacation, and you had DVR'ed all your favorite shows, but could only watch 1 episode of each, and only 5 total. Make your list.

This can change, as shows get canceled, or your interest changes, or even the show itself changes and you move it down in your list. Feel free to come back and comment whenever you'd like.

For me?

1. Survivor
I know it's not a good example of "good TV", but it has elements of EVERYTHING I enjoy. Comedy, action, drama, suspense, human interaction, romance, etc. It can be annoying as hell 50% of the time, but I still love this show, and it's my top priority of my weekly viewing.
2. Community
The Office used to be my go-to comedy, but Joel McHale and the cast of Community won me over last year, and only continue to tickle my funny bone this season. It truly is a perfect comedy with something for everyone. If you know me at all, you know I love humor, and this is my #1 comedy on the air right now.
3. Dexter
Not because he was named after me, but because Dexter is a superb show that has been flawless through every single episode and every single season. It's probably the single most flawless TV show of all time.
4. Fringe
Possibly due to my love affair with the X-Files on Friday nights in high school (1993-1997), but I love having a great sci-fi show on the air that not only has a great overall story of amazing proportions, but also self-contained interesting cases of unknown weirdness each week.
5. Breaking Bad
Another EPIC cable show, I have never seen a dull or boring episode of Breaking Bad. A few episodes have been slow or drawn out at time (think Rubicon), but the eventual ending is a payoff worth spending 90 hours staring at paint drying.
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

gulliver

Re: TOP FIVE

Post by gulliver » 30 Oct 2010 19:23

1.Dexter
Dex pretty much nailed it for me as to how I feel about the show. Thank you tvshack for letting me catch up on this excellent series.

2.Trueblood
It's only the second season over here but I'm really enjoying it so far and get almost as excited to see it as Dexter. I could watch it on tvshack but I like to watch all the boobies on my hd tv.

3. The Ultimate Fighter
I have fallen in love with MMA and the UFC over the last year or two and I'm totally addicted to this show. Fighting, Blood, love to hate characters. It's great reality tv.

I don't really have any other shows that I watch regularly to make up a top 5. Except maybe stargate universe but I could go without it. I'd like to start watching Madmen, Breaking bad and Fringe from the beginning as I've heard such great things about them.

If I ever get the time...

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 31 Oct 2010 00:35

1. Fringe
It's probably the best show I watch currently in regards to both quality of the production and overall entertainment. Like Dex, I love the overall story arc and I'm always impressed with the way they come up with new weird things to keep it fresh. I just wish they didn't keep having these long fucking breaks all the time.

2. Supernatural
Wait, wait... here me out. Like Fringe each episode has a new weirdness just like x-files, but also has an overall story arc, which in my opinion has only improved as the series has continued. It's also gory as fuck and seriously depressing which ticks my entertainment fetish boxes

3. Smallville
I can't believe I've been watching this for 10 years. It's like a tradition for me though, it's had its ups and some major downs, but the final season is airing now and so far it's been decent. Can't imagine it actually not being on anymore. That's my saturday morning wake up programme.

4. True Bloodl
Season 1 was good.
Season 2 wasn't as good.
Season 3 also wasn't as good.
I'm kinda struggling to think of shows now, cos tbh I could live without True Blood, but it is a nice tittyfest every now and then. They just need to think of something a bit more interesting to focus on than some of the stuff they have recently. Mainly more naked paquin.

Nothing else I'm really invested in at the moment. There are some shows like The Event and Boardwalk Empire that need to prove themselves still, but most of the stuff I watch is back catalogue (e.g. Deadwood- awesome)

smash

Post by smash » 31 Oct 2010 00:52

1. Survivor
It's the original Reality show, and all other reality shows fail to live up to this one. It is great television. It manages to be the best representation of human nature in how people interact. It's also a sad state when nice guys generally finish last; but it is true.

2. Dexter
Dexter is the ultimate drama that I thrive on. Sympathetic 'anti' heroes. The Shield, Sopranos... they all lead up to the birth of Dexter which is the best of them all.

3. Fringe
This show was a very slow to start for me. It's now to the point where I am giddy each week to watch it. It has the best elements of the 'mythos' of Lost with the action/fun of Alias. Most importantly, they move the story, instead of stringing me along.

4. Mad Men
Mad Men is the best show none of the rest of you are watching. I marathoned the seasons 1 - 3 in like a 2 week window before Season 4 started and was just absorbed. Season 4 (just finished) was the best so far. It started with asking the question "Who is Don Draper?" and then spent this season exploring that answer in a stunning fashion. The irony is that Jon Hamm's character isn't Don Draper, that's just a name he stole to avoid the Korean War. It's that he's been pretending to be something he's not for so long he has no idea what he is. This show speaks volumes with things left unsaid, and the depth of the story telling is so much in the surrounding elements.

5. Daily Show/Colbert Report
I'm lumping these together because it is impossible to separate them. Slanted news stories? You bet. And yet, I'm never confused about where the 'news' ends and where the humor begins. It continues to be my source for daily events.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 31 Oct 2010 06:37

1. Fringe
2. House
3. Rescue Me
4. Grey's Anatomy (I think I'm allowed one girly show)
5. The Walking Dead (yep, sight unseen, it's going on my list)

Honorable mention: Bones, Burn Notice, Human Target, Castle, Rubicon, Smallville, Hawaii Five-0

smash

Post by smash » 31 Oct 2010 09:48

Angelbaby fails at instruction following. There should be 'why' :)

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 31 Oct 2010 14:52

smash wrote:Angelbaby fails at instruction following. There should be 'why' :)
Also he/she listed more than 5 shows, for no reason at all. And I said "shows currently on the air" and it answered a show that doesn't air it's first episode until tomorrow. Which is not only insane, but also automatic failure.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 31 Oct 2010 15:21

to bad yep to bad.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 31 Oct 2010 15:59

AngelBaby wrote:to bad yep to bad.
It is too bad some people can't follow the rules. Too bad indeed.

smash

Post by smash » 31 Oct 2010 19:05

Dex wrote:
smash wrote:Angelbaby fails at instruction following. There should be 'why' :)
Also he/she listed more than 5 shows, for no reason at all. And I said "shows currently on the air" and it answered a show that doesn't air it's first episode until tomorrow. Which is not only insane, but also automatic failure.

That is insane. There's no evidence at all that it'll be a fantastic show and worthy of listing as a top five. Yes, the comic is probably awesome, but I didn't read it. Did AB? I did download the first ep, but I hadn't watched it yet, and am now waiting. Does AB even know how to torrent? (She said sight unseen).

It's crazy. It's something Justin would do.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 31 Oct 2010 19:43

smash wrote:It's crazy. It's something Justin would do.
It's transformation is almost complete. :blonde:

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 01 Nov 2010 20:34

AB getting tag-teamed by Dex and Smash. That's some fucked up imagery right there.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 02 Nov 2010 08:39

:unsure:

smash

Post by smash » 02 Nov 2010 10:20

gulliver wrote:AB getting tag-teamed by Dex and Smash. That's some fucked up imagery right there.

There'd be two penis's too many for me in that picture.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 02 Nov 2010 13:27

I'll just leave this here for smash