New shows! (Fall 2010)

TV talk.

Moderator: smash

Dex
Big Daddy

New shows! (Fall 2010)

Post by Dex » 15 Sep 2010 03:55

The new crop of brand new shows has started to trickle onto the airwaves this month, starting with Terriers last week (meh) as well as Hellcats (pass) and Nikita (so-so). Any shows in particular that you guys are looking forward to? Any you expect to get canceled?
As usual, a full list of all Fall 2010 shows can be found here.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the following five new shows;
Boardwalk Empire, 8 p.m. (HBO) 9/19

The Event, 9 p.m. (NBC) 9/20

Undercovers, 8 p.m. (NBC) 9/22

No Ordinary Family, 9 p.m. (ABC) 9/28

The Walking Dead, 10 p.m. (AMC) 10/31

I hope & expect Shit My Dad Says to fail miserably. Not only was the preview I saw last week painfully unfunny, but it's based on some stupid twitter account, which is ridiculous to begin with, but then it's watered down by CBS and phoned in by William Shatner. Quadruple fail.
Other previews that really suck so far were; Mike & Molly, The Defenders, Raising Hope & My Generation. :braf:
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Re: New shows! (Fall 2010)

Post by AngelBaby » 15 Sep 2010 04:16

I'm so excited for The Walking Dead that I can hardly sit still. :dance:

Also quite interested in No Ordinary Family and The Event.

Oh, and I'm going to check out Detroit 1-8-7, just to see how shitty life has gotten in that hellhole of a city.

smash

Post by smash » 15 Sep 2010 07:32

Survivor of course....

Most of the new shows don't impress me. I will watch No Ordinary Family. Boardwalk looks like it'll be good. Detroit 1 8 7 I will check out.

Event looks ZzZzz. Undercover Nigras- ZzzZzz. Nikita was blah but both Maggie Q and Lyndsy Fonseca are gorgeous.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 15 Sep 2010 10:27

smash wrote:Survivor of course....
I don't think that qualifies as a "new" show. *looks up at title*
smash wrote:Event looks ZzZzz. Undercover Nigras- ZzzZzz. Nikita was blah but both Maggie Q and Lyndsy Fonseca are gorgeous.
To me, The Event looks like 24 meets Lost.
Undercovers is by JJ Abrams, and I've never seen him produce anything "ZzzZzz", which is either a vuvuzela or you snore REALLY loud.
And yes, that sums up my feelings on Nikita perfectly. I'd give it a C-. And that also explains why AB gave it a B+ :box:

smash

Post by smash » 15 Sep 2010 18:43

I just read the bit on Undercovers...and didn't realize it was JJ Abrams til then. I'd give it a chance on that alone. Alias was great fun and Fringe is great fun; so he's earned more than a fair shot from me.

Anything 'Lost' scares me. It's going to be a long time before I start trusting dramas that try to bank on the 'Lost' angle of jerking around the viewer with the story/mystery. That's why I stayed away from Flashforward. And I don't regret it.

I honestly can't think of a single new program other than those that I even bothered to remember. (excepting No Ordinary Family). Chiklis or Benz individually earned me giving it a chance; but putting them together. Unfortunately, I've read mixed reviews about the show so far.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 16 Sep 2010 03:33

Nothing there seems to grab me.

What happened to that show about a vigilante guy with some fancy cloak or something? When's that out?

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 16 Sep 2010 03:37

smash wrote:I honestly can't think of a single new program other than those that I even bothered to remember. (excepting No Ordinary Family). Chiklis or Benz individually earned me giving it a chance; but putting them together. Unfortunately, I've read mixed reviews about the show so far.
Have you seen any previews for Hawaii Five-0 yet? I think it has great promise, and as I mentioned to AB, the chemestry of the 2 protagonists reminds me a bit of Burke & Caffrey in White Collar.
+ Boomer

psyper

Post by psyper » 16 Sep 2010 07:48

efilflah wrote:Nothing there seems to grab me.

What happened to that show about a vigilante guy with some fancy cloak or something? When's that out?
its called The Cape:

its meant to be coming mid-season next year I think
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

smash

Post by smash » 16 Sep 2010 09:10

Dex wrote:
smash wrote:I honestly can't think of a single new program other than those that I even bothered to remember. (excepting No Ordinary Family). Chiklis or Benz individually earned me giving it a chance; but putting them together. Unfortunately, I've read mixed reviews about the show so far.
Have you seen any previews for Hawaii Five-0 yet? I think it has great promise, and as I mentioned to AB, the chemestry of the 2 protagonists reminds me a bit of Burke & Caffrey in White Collar.
+ Boomer

Yeah I season passed it....just to fap to AngelBoomer. But I have a strong suspicion I'll be deleting the pass.

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 18 Sep 2010 18:03

smash wrote:Anything 'Lost' scares me. It's going to be a long time before I start trusting dramas that try to bank on the 'Lost' angle of jerking around the viewer with the story/mystery.
Well, just wanted to pass this on; I just saw Jason Ritter on Jimmy Fallon, talking about The Event. He mentioned that the creator/head writer started this project like 7 years ago, but didn't offer it to any studio. So over the last 7 years he basically wrote 5 seasons worth of script/story, and sold it as a complete 5-season package to NBC. While it's not 100% sure 5 seasons will be made, NBC owns the rights to all 5 seasons worth of script/story.

This is awesome for several reasons; the first being, they aren't going to get stuck in a corner like Lost did a few times, and have to make shit up. Secondly, if it's successful, and I don't see why it won't be, nobody has to go "oh shit, how to we top that next season?" because it's already penned. Thirdly, as long as NBC breaks even, or makes a profit, they will continue to produce seasons of The Event. Fourth; it's not going to run and run forever. There is an end already written, so there should be very few "filler" episodes or just plain BS.

JR also mentioned that every episode that they are filming, each cast member gets a unique folder with information that they cannot share with any other cast members, and they just wrapped episode 7. He currently has NO idea what The Event really is.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 19 Sep 2010 03:27

psyper wrote:
efilflah wrote:Nothing there seems to grab me.

its called The Cape:

its meant to be coming mid-season next year I think
Ahhh yeah. It's got Summer Glau in too......which probably means it'll get cancelled first season :blink:

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 19 Sep 2010 17:54

I just wanna throw this out there;

I saw an advance episode of the Lone Star pilot (thank you TiVo) tonight, and I LOVED it. Maybe it was just the frame of mind I was in, but it was a solid A in my book. I'm not sure if this storyline can keep up the momentum for an entire season, but at the very least, ep 1 was great.

If you have a DVR and can record 2 shows at 9:00 on Monday, make Lone Star your second show (besides The Event). It's roast beef. It's good.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 19 Sep 2010 18:27

I don't know what Lonestar is, but I hope it has something to do with this guy

smash

Post by smash » 19 Sep 2010 19:52

Against my better judgement, I've set the PVR to record "The Event".

I already had Lonestar snagged, though I very much suspect that I'll end up hating that show before long. Jon Voight annoys me...and the premise is about a conman. We'll see.

Here's my tv sched with shows highlighted. http://www.smashy.net/DLT/TV_Sched.PDF

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 20 Sep 2010 03:36

efilflah wrote:I don't know what Lonestar is, but I hope it has something to do with this guy
Yeah, the only thing I hate about the show is the title. Half way through, it was bugging me.
smash wrote:Against my better judgement, I've set the PVR to record "The Event".
PVR? *facepalm* Keep up that old man stereotype...
smash wrote:Here's my tv sched with shows highlighted. http://www.smashy.net/DLT/TV_Sched.PDF
Without fancy PDFs, here's my sched;

Monday
Chuck / House
Lone Star / The Event
Castle / Hawaii 5-0

Tuesday
No Ordinary Family
Running Wilde
Parenthood
Sons of Anarchy

Wednesday
Survivor / Undercovers