Inland Empire

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

eamon angelface

Inland Empire

Post by eamon angelface » 03 Dec 2006 06:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4hFEDYmMcM

I'm not smart enough to be a huge David Lynch fan. I like his stuff but I'm always left confused.
DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 03 Dec 2006 09:28

Well, I am a Lynch fan, but that's looks pretty fucked up right there.

Even by his standards.

smash

Post by smash » 03 Dec 2006 22:04

I'm defintely not as smart as Angelbaby, and probably not even Eamon, but I love David Lynch. Not enough to go gaa-gaa over him, but enough to be excited about this. Tho that being said, I rarely watch his movies in a theater, since multiple viewings are a must.

He definitely brings 'art' to film. Grand visual imagery and metaphors. Sadly, I rarely get it until it's explained to me.

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 07 Dec 2006 00:15

I hate David Lynch.

Even though he allowed me to fap to Naomi Watt's boobies.

smash

Post by smash » 07 Dec 2006 01:29

imagine if we got to enjoy Naomi Watts boobies in the Jet Girl days...

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 08 Dec 2006 23:04

I don't think you have to be smart to be a Lynch fan, I'm of the belief that a lot of the time, if not most, symbolism is attributed and not intrinsic. Writers and such are not always consciously creatively connecting, occasionally a cigar is just a cigar, etc.

This probably isn't true so much for Dave, but I'm pretty sure he throws some stuff in just for giggles and to watch the anthill's resulting bustle.

Which, whatever: he can do that. I'm a firm believer that it's okay to make movies that are more emotionally evocative than sense-making as long as you're good at it.

In fact, I've a special place in my heart for those.

Witness: I liked the Fountain

And I'll probably see this, on DVD.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 14 Dec 2006 05:54

I like to think the better writers attribute appropriate symbolism to their stuff. Sure some copy and are solely derivative and they just feed off the intelligence of whatever they've been "inspired by" but I tend to credit Mr Lynch with having the intellect to actually put something together...original and in it's entirety that is ripe with social criticisms and subtext.

The problem is I need "____<--insert David Lynch movie there for Dummies" in order to understand it all or even recognize it.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 31 Jul 2007 03:53

Watched it.

Yup.

I'm confused.

Thanks. Plus it was shot ...well very strangely. Lot's of hand held extreme close ups during the various nonsensical odd little speeches.

"I like dogs. I used to raise rabbits. Can I borrow a couple bucks? My landlord is being a pain."

That's how all over the place this is. Plus some of it is in Polish. And then there are the people with rabbit heads.

This thing is like Dostoevsky after a severe stroke and some medicinal happy weed.

UncleMao

Post by UncleMao » 07 Aug 2007 14:43

I get chills just walking past Blue Velvet and Eraserhead in the rental store.

What's scarier is he has his Robin in David Cronenberg.

But Cronenberg knocked one out of the park with History of Violence.