The Mist...or Stephen King's "The Mist" or something

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

efilflah

The Mist...or Stephen King's "The Mist" or something

Post by efilflah » 18 Mar 2008 04:28

I'm not usually one for cheapish adaptations of books I haven't read, but I have to say that I was entertained most of the way through this movie.

It starts off quite well with a bit of backstory and character introduction and dare I say it believable dialogue. The monsters are then introduced in a few different ways and the characters for the most act believably yet again, only now the dialogue starts to dry up a bit and things start to recycle and head down the cliche route.

I love movies set in isolated locations. That extra claustrophobic element adds a lot to the atmosphere, and because they generally only allow for a small amount of characters, writers get to concentrate their efforts instead of spreading thin their creativity over a wider array of nobodies.

I have no idea how big the budget was for this movie but the CG (god I hate CG) was nowhere near convincing, but not unconvincing either. It was acceptable, and never so bad that you find yourself taken out of the experience and never so overdone that you feel you're watching one of pixar's rehashed efforts.

The ending was a bit of a letdown, it almost feels a bit tacked on in parts almost like an afterthought. I have no idea if this is the way it was written or if it was a change by the directors, but I'd have liked it better if they'd ended it just a few minutes earlier.

Nothing special, but compared to some of the big hollywood efforts I've seen recently, It's pretty ok.

smash

Re: The Mist...or Stephen King's "The Mist" or something

Post by smash » 30 Apr 2008 12:49

I need to remember to catch this on dvd.

psyper

Post by psyper » 01 May 2008 00:59

I saw this last week. Its pretty cool and was interesting to see all the americans get all religious and killing themselves and each other.

The spiders freaked me out somewhat! Oh and the interesting thing about this film is the ecology of the alternate universe - it makes our world look very very tame. We have small spiders that can kill a person with one bite and stuff but on a day to day urban life we are the top species. If the mist spread and stayed we would certainly be somewhere near the bottom of the food chain along with every other creature on our planet.
Just makes me think that if any bug or insect in our world ever got to the same level as the bugs in the alternate universe we would be in a lot of trouble!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 01 May 2008 18:34

My ass smells.

psyper

Post by psyper » 03 May 2008 17:28

your ass or your arse?

because even if both smell - they smell in different ways for different reasons.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 04 May 2008 01:30

I havent seen "The Mist" or something, and probably never will!

Oh hi pysper.

psyper

Post by psyper » 04 May 2008 16:04

Hiya - been having a posting frenzy i see. Best way to bring new posts into the forum: drag up old posts and let the new members read and reply :D
I used to go on a forum that deleted any threads that were older than a month - that was one boring arsed forum!!

Need more posts on dlt though :( I get bored at work!