Babel-blah!

Film talk.

Moderators: Dex, smash

smash

Babel-blah!

Post by smash » 29 Jul 2008 02:44

I finally had the displeasure of watching Babel last night; a confusing and uninteresting frayed narrative. Just like Traffic or Syriana, this is the tale of four dramatic families whose story are interwoven to create a self-important 'message'. I put 'message' in quotes, because just like it's other film cousins, the only real message it has to say is how important their message is.

The story jumbles the time lines to have the dramatic highlights mesh up, but beyond that, serves no higher purpose; a stunning example of its self-indulgence. We start with Pitt/Blanchett as Americans abroad in Morocco, no doubt chosen as a 'safe' Arabic country that will not offend any ethnicities. While riding in a bus across the desert countryside; two young Moroccan boys play with a .270 rifle and accidentally wound one of the American passengers. Meanwhile, back in the U.S. Pitt/Blanchett's children are looked after by a Mexican nanny. This nanny schleps the children off to witness her sons marriage back in Mexico. The final tale revolves around a Japanese business man, who earlier in time, gave the rifle to the Moroccans. This business man, grieving the death of his wife, is estranged from his deaf-mute teenage daughter.

The drama of the Japanese teen is probably heaviest soaked in teriyaki; if you chase the forums you'll find debate on whether or not the girl is being molested or not. But it's just seasoning covering up an otherwise unsavory meal.

The only benefit for watching this movie is if you like your underage Japanese loli's to be with out pantsu. I think that leaves like Dex and Angelbaby only! Maybe psyper. He fits right in with us pervs.

Dex
Big Daddy

Re: Babel-blah!

Post by Dex » 29 Jul 2008 03:49

smash wrote:The only benefit for watching this movie is if you like your underage Japanese loli's to be with out pantsu.
nomnomnom
“Also, mouth-to-mouth causes AIDS” - Zilch 5/18/2010

psyper

Re: Babel-blah!

Post by psyper » 30 Jul 2008 18:29

Reading this thread with interest as I've seen the poster for babel and nothing else and was wondering what it was about.

I'm interest peaked at:
smash wrote:...teenage daughter.

The drama of the Japanese teen is probably heaviest soaked in teriyaki; if you chase the forums you'll find debate on whether or not the girl is being molested or not. But it's just seasoning covering up an otherwise unsavory meal.

The only benefit for watching this movie is if you like your underage Japanese loli's to be with out pantsu. I think that leaves like Dex and Angelbaby only! Maybe psyper. He fits right in with us pervs.
I lol'ed at my mention. Someone knows me too well!!!!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.