little. yellow. feisty.

Arrested Development

Post by AngelBaby » 25 Jul 2008 23:46

And someday AB will indeed finish AD.

iPromise. ^_^

Hellfyre

Re: Dexter

Post by Hellfyre » 27 Jul 2008 23:54

I must be one of the few people who didn't like Arrested Development and applauded when that show finally got the axe.

First of all, if I wanted to spend time with irritating 'tards I'd turn off the TV and spend time with my family. And second, Ron Howard's got a voice for silent movies. He's an okay actor and a better-than-average director, but narration is not his strong suit. At all.

Dexter, however, is truly awesome and I'm told if you loved the books you'll hate the show. I haven't read the books, though, and think the show is brilliant TV programming (a rarity).

smash

Post by smash » 28 Jul 2008 08:07

Hellfyre wrote:I must be one of the few people who didn't like Arrested Development and applauded when that show finally got the axe.

First of all, if I wanted to spend time with irritating 'tards I'd turn off the TV and spend time with my family. And second, Ron Howard's got a voice for silent movies. He's an okay actor and a better-than-average director, but narration is not his strong suit. At all.

Dexter, however, is truly awesome and I'm told if you loved the books you'll hate the show. I haven't read the books, though, and think the show is brilliant TV programming (a rarity).

Where are you from? I think that Arrested Development was fairly unique for Americans. I'm not sure foreigners would get it so much. Although, Rushie loved it, which surprised me.

You have to watch enough shows to get the constant in-jokes. If you don't, could see annoying, because the characters rarely actually listen to others' dialogue- instead they just spout off their own narcissistic comments.

Truly one of the most intelligently written shows I had ever watched. References to future jokes were crafted in early episodes, and sentence for sentence brilliant wit.

Hellfyre

Post by Hellfyre » 28 Jul 2008 11:35

I'm an American, but I didn't watch the series from the very beginning so that may be why it seemed so annoying to me. However, even if I had watched the series religiously from the very beginning I don't see how one could work up an effective immunity to Howard's narration.

And as for your remark of "because the characters rarely actually listen to others' dialogue- instead they just spout off their own narcissistic comments" now we're back to me not having to turn the TV on and just go visit some family or spend some time with some of the people I work with.

smash

Post by smash » 29 Jul 2008 02:21

Hellfyre wrote:I'm an American, but I didn't watch the series from the very beginning so that may be why it seemed so annoying to me. However, even if I had watched the series religiously from the very beginning I don't see how one could work up an effective immunity to Howard's narration.

And as for your remark of "because the characters rarely actually listen to others' dialogue- instead they just spout off their own narcissistic comments" now we're back to me not having to turn the TV on and just go visit some family or spend some time with some of the people I work with.
It's a shame you didn't like it. I don't know a single person that I convinced to watch from the first episode that didn't fall in love with it, except for a couple of dumbshit Australians (not Rushie, she loved it).

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » 03 Aug 2008 17:56

smash wrote: Where are you from? I think that Arrested Development was fairly unique for Americans. I'm not sure foreigners would get it so much. Although, Rushie loved it, which surprised me.
Surprised? I've so far watched Season 1 and I think it's an awesome show so I'm sure it translated well to Australia, then again most of our free to air TV is littered with American programming. I mean, they throw both American Idol as well as Australian Idol on TV here (yuck), 50 million repeats of The Simpsons, and anything else that's on TV there is probably on TV here somewhere.
I know I'm supposed to do something, but fuck knows what it is.