Where'd you get your screen name?

Shoot the shit.
exelis

Where'd you get your screen name?

Post by exelis » 16 Sep 2006 00:36

Topic title says it all. We have many unique names here, and it'd be interesting to hear the stories behind them.

Mine is just one that I picked up along the way. It happened to be the name of a character in a game that I just used in a forum a looong time ago (we're talking decades), and it stuck.

turtle

Post by turtle » 16 Sep 2006 02:35

it's my nickname...

when i was in 6th grade (about 100 years ago) i took a little too much time at the water fountain after 8th period gym class.

AngelBaby
little. yellow. feisty.

Post by AngelBaby » 16 Sep 2006 02:51

I love angels, the screenname Angel was taken when I signed up for Justin's forums back when they were on TJNR, I'm five feet tall, so I tacked Baby on et voila! ^_^

smash

Post by smash » 16 Sep 2006 02:57

Smash came from two things that were important to me at the same time in my late teen years: a garage band from Youngstown Ohio: Boogie Man Smash and the ogre, Smash, from Piers Anthony's Xanth novels (particularly, the main character in Ogre, Ogre).

In particular, the ogre, was a lovable brute that was clueless with women, but ran to their assistance whenever needed. I always appreciated and identified with that.

It just came naturally when I needed a screen name back in the Bulletin Board System (BBS) days to settle on "Smash".

Phife

Post by Phife » 16 Sep 2006 03:11

Being the bumbling, simple-witted person that I am...Phife seemed to fit. Not as in Phife Dawg...but as in Barney Fife.

Plus Barney Fife was a nick of mine IRL as a freshman in highschool, then again in college.
Nada.

Bligityblah

Post by Bligityblah » 16 Sep 2006 03:47

I made mine up after watching a "Cornolio" episode of Bevis and Butthead.

Brrrrapptapapapapa....and it evolved from there. Good lord I fee like Old.

Zorak

Post by Zorak » 16 Sep 2006 04:04

I was named after my Uncle

Dex
Big Daddy

Post by Dex » 16 Sep 2006 05:45

Here's the Cliff Notes version;

Back in 2001 I bought my first turntables... and while I hadn't played any shows or clubs yet (and wouldn't for at least another year), friends of mine would always ask what my "DJ name" was.

One night, after a party, a girl I was seeing suggested "DJ Ambidextrous" because I am both left and right handed... which was a cool idea, since you use both hands to spin.

I didn't like the "bi" in "Ambidextrous", plus it was TOO LONG. A few minutes later, another friend suggested "Decks"... which is another name for a turntable. I heard this as "Dex", still thinking about "AmbiDEXtrous"... so it was kinda multiple meanings I guess. Someone else suggested that it could stand for "Dexterity", which is basically quick motor skills. The name kinda stuck.

Flash forward to 2002/2003 when I started a crappy little website, and joined Fubar (among other sites), I decided to use the name Dex on the internets, instead of my real name.

There's more to it, but that's the basic idea.

gulliver

Post by gulliver » 16 Sep 2006 18:05

Im 6'7 and some of my friends are quite tall too. We were all out one night in a pub and we got chatting to a bunch of girls and one of them turned and said "fucking hell, it's like gulliver's travels in here".

I laughed at the time.

I was drunk :|

JustSumDude

Post by JustSumDude » 17 Sep 2006 18:58

I have a screen name?

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 18 Sep 2006 02:45

I didn't like my old screen name anymore but I was about to post a comment to one of Justin's posts so I spent about two minutes trying to think of just some random name that I could live with.

EDIT:

Which is pretty much how I chose my old screen name, but this one's lasted a bit longer.

rushie

Post by rushie » 18 Sep 2006 07:13

follow the dots: (rush) rushie.... rushki... rushia...

my nickname pretty much came for a combination between the old soviet union which i was obsessed with as a kid (in particular the history and the military) and my athletics days.

a friend of mine made it up when we were 8 and i was 'rushing' out of church and to the canteen for lunch.... pretty much, nothing has changed since then ;)

i think it's the best nickname ever; lasting almost 20 years and spaning primary school, high school, uni and work... here's to another 20 years! it's pretty cool when teachers/lectures call you it too in class :)

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 18 Sep 2006 19:29

I got fed up with trying to find a screen name that didnn't require the addition of 3 letters or some underscroll trickery just so I could have it.

I needed a name to sign up to all sorts of random sites quickly without being prompted with a "that screen name already exists, choose another" message and then consequently having to re-enter all my details for each failed attempt.

I looked around my room, saw the case of one of my favourite games and decided to reverse the letters. I've used it ever since.

~vjay~

Post by ~vjay~ » 19 Sep 2006 19:36

I have no imagination and usually use my real name and variants around the place,

My first name starts with V and my second name starts with J, so I butchered the J to read like it sounds.
I know I'm supposed to do something, but fuck knows what it is.

lswalker

Post by lswalker » 20 Sep 2006 05:27

My name is Luke, evertyime I meet someone IRL, I get "Luke, I am your father" or they call me Luke Skywalker. So I just use lswalker.