Seriously

Hot Fuzz

Post by Seriously » 29 Apr 2007 20:37

I don't usually like spoofs, but this:

Yes.

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 29 Apr 2007 23:52

Saw it a few months ago.

Just like "Sean of the Dead", it was pretty meh for me, but because of their Spaced following, the hypeometer simply blows any objective criticism out of the water for the masses.

Not to take away too much from the films, I enjoyed parts of each, but the jokes weren't often enough for my tastesa and they both layed on the drama a bit too thickly to the point where it gets a bit distracting from the fun.

I'm actually struggling to remember any parts of it.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 30 Apr 2007 00:28

efilflah wrote:they both layed on the drama a bit too thickly to the point where it gets a bit distracting from the fun.
Which is actually what I like about them.

These guys don't have to prove they're smarter than the other people who make these kinds of movies. They are willing to concede they like them as well.

I like that so much better than an I'm-so-smart-and-this-genre-is-so-stupid-and-you-are-stupid-too-for-liking-it.

That's the vibe I usually get from spoofs nowadays. (i.e. GENRE movie)

efilflah

Post by efilflah » 30 Apr 2007 01:19

Seriously wrote:I like that so much better than an I'm-so-smart-and-this-genre-is-so-stupid-and-you-are-stupid-too-for-liking-it.
But that's not my issue with it. I agree that a flat out "What? You like this kind of movie?" take the piss spoofs, are less enjoyable than one's that actually homeage the genres.

My main issue is that, it just wasn't that funny, I guess. Whereas films like The Naked Gun and Anchorman, go all out stupid and have too little plot and an overdose of ludicriousness, I think these types of films go in the other direction and don't quite get the balance right either.

eamon angelface

Post by eamon angelface » 30 Apr 2007 02:13

I liked Shaun of the Dead a lot.

Hot Fuzz was funny but it hasn't left the lasting impression the first one I saw from them did.

Never seen Spaced.

Shaun of the Dead's content lent itself to the humour and the directors style was, to me, supposed to be campy and amateur. Hot Fuzz was hurt by those same elements that helped Shaun of the Dead.
DLT Prom Queen 4 years running.

Seriously

Post by Seriously » 30 Apr 2007 05:52

Really?

I was laughing pretty steadily. I especially loved James Bond's incredibly obvious evilness.

Different strokes.